Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1441 - 1458 of 1458 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,441
Refused a job this morning, I'll write more later on but I was supposed to install the finish of a vanity but when I went there, the previous plumber from the biggest company in town put in a flat tee on the horizontal part for the stub out and rotated it maybe 15 degrees. Plus less than 2 feet away is the laundry machine on the same line. The guy was real angry and said the guy was a bozo last time around.

Now the guy wants me to send an email stating what's wrong and why I refused. I want no part in that, I'll call later to tell him so and to keep me out of it.
Here's a pic he had sent previously. Didn't see much until I got there. I called and told him twice I wasn't sending an email and to keep me out of it. They are licensed and it's up to them to go check it out.

·
Super Moderator
8,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,442 (Edited)
The husband gave me the go ahead to remove the saddle valve that had flattened the poly-b(fridge no longer fed anyway). However the wife came down a minute later and said she didn't want a big bill with the dishwasher install. The guy came back and I told him the wife over ruled him.

Nevertheless even though I told the rate on the phone, she signed the contract with the rate, she asked for an estimate before I started, Told her 2 hours for the install including the broken kitchen drain was aprox ___$ in labor plus parts plus taxes. I specifically told her it wasn't flat rate it was T/M. When I handed the bill she only remembered the labor disregarding parts and taxes she totally freaked out. She even showed the bill to the husband if they were going to pay at all. I instantly realized she was the pit bull in the relationship. Guy didn't say anything and she paid but with more disrespectful comments.

I was upset the rest of day after that, I had to take the phycologist out to calm me down. I'm about to choose a vanity plate I wonder if I should with "PSHYCOS" on it?

Just noticed the green religious pinned paper near the electrical outlet, being polite and courteous goes out the window in my area!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I had a call on Wednesday afternoon. Wondering how much I would charge on a renovation just ball park. I asked how many fixtures? 3 full baths plus kitchen, laundry. $xxx.00 a fixture. What am I hooking to? This old septic tank. So I took the excavator out and uncovered the old septic system. The tank is single compartment and way too small. Then I moved on to the weeping bed. There was a mix of piping material and two off shoots. They were running 15’ from the well. Home owner then couldn’t understand why I said that that septic is condemned and now the ministry must be called. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

·
Super Moderator
8,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,445
And you guys wonder why I block up to 8 phone callers a week. I blocked 7 already in the last 2 days

These are the best of "looking for a hack in the ads"
I won't post the dozens of requests with straight up "what's the price"

Hello,
I am looking for a plumber for a service to connect my dishwasher as well as to unclog the kitchen sink pipe which is linked to it. In my opinion it should take less than an hour of work. Could you give me an idea of how much it will cost me to eventually come and provide me with this service. I live on the...
Signed a new Kanadian...

Hello, I am looking for a plumber to finish two bathrooms in my house. I had a plumber who was working / renovating the bathrooms but he had an emergency and couldn't finish the job anymore.

Would you be interested in taking a look at the work to be done, let me know if you would be interested and if so give me a quote?
Signed a cheapskate that hired a drunkard hack and quit midway because he took the money for beer and cigarettes...

Hi, How much would it cost to replace sink strainer assembly? I've tried to find the correct stopper and failed with 4 types the correct width. Thanks
Signed a cheapskate

Hello I’m looking for plumber to unclog toilet __, can you give me quote ?
Signed a cheapskate, the lowest price wins the contest to plunge my $hit fur cheep

Hello. I am interested. I have the sink blocked
Signed whatever

Hi, I'm interested. Please contact me. My tub is clogged. How much do you please Thank you.
Signed nawe Kanayen

Bonjou, are you new installation for new construction
Signed WAT?

Do you speak English? I am wondering what could be wrong with my water since I have no water pressure..... my water supply is well?
Signed I'm not well Engliissed

Good evening., I would need a toiesvp unblock service
That's what your prices are
Signed new Kanayen

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
And you guys wonder why I block up to 8 phone callers a week. I blocked 7 already in the last 2 days

These are the best of "looking for a hack in the ads"
I won't post the dozens of requests with straight up "what's the price"

Hello I’m looking for plumber to unclog toilet __, can you give me quote ?
Signed a cheapskate, the lowest price wins the contest to plunge my $hit fur cheep
Hello. I am interested. I have the sink blocked
Signed whatever

Hi, I'm interested. Please contact me. My tub is clogged. How much do you please Thank you.
Signed nawe Kanayen
Bonjou, are you new installation for new construction
Signed WAT?
Do you speak English? I am wondering what could be wrong with my water since I have no water pressure..... my water supply is well?
Signed I'm not well Engliissed

Good evening., I would need a toiesvp unblock service
That's what your prices are
Signed new Kanayen
So you don't want people who ask what the price is or those who have trouble with the language because they are new to canada?

Not for nothing, sometimes prices are ridiculously high for no good reason and if I was in say Japan and no idea how much 100yen was worth I'd constantly be asking prices too.

As for the language barrier, I don't know, I understand the risk for you because they would have plausible deniability that they didn't understand your rates.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Super Moderator
8,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,447
So you don't want people who ask what the price is or those who have trouble with the language because they are new to canada?

Not for nothing, sometimes prices are ridiculously high for no good reason and if I was in say Japan and no idea how much 100yen was worth I'd constantly be asking prices too.

As for the language barrier, I don't know, I understand the risk for you because they would have plausible deniability that they didn't understand your rates.
From experience all these want a hack. because these are the local ads where pirates reign and everyone knows it. They want sight unseen prices to compare to the next hack, you ask them to call you they won't. You message them back with a question and they will not reply. A non existent bathroom build in the basement for most think the price is about 400$ or something like it.

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
From experience all these want a hack. because these are the local ads where pirates reign and everyone knows it. They want sight unseen prices to compare to the next hack, you ask them to call you they won't. You message them back with a question and they will not reply. A non existent bathroom build in the basement for most think the price is about 400$ or something like it.
So those were texts? Why even acknowledge random texts?

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Super Moderator
8,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,449
So those were texts? Why even acknowledge random texts?
The very first line of the ad says "phone calls only, text messages will not be answered". Emails will be ignored.... I don't reply to them either, sometimes if it doesn't look too bad I text back to call, 1 in 10 actually will call.

On the weekend I got a text back to my call me reply with a "tnx" and they never called.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts

Ignorance is no excuse. He gets signatures to start and finish jobs so if they sign they signed that they understand the rate. There is absolutely no way out of that using ignorance as the reason.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
Ignorance is no excuse. He gets signatures to start and finish jobs so if they sign they signed that they understand the rate. There is absolutely no way out of that using ignorance as the reason.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse here yes, but he lives in an area where the rules seem to favor these sorts of people. I wasn't saying it was right, just pointing out how I could see them gaming the system if they were that kind of person.

·
Super Moderator
8,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,453
Alot of people these days prefer text over calls. I would absolutely respond to a text if it looked legit and not something like "can you unclog my toilet for $20"

Maybe at first when things are slow but you would quickly stop responding if you were in my area. This is not a place where most people are decent.

I hear all the time a lot of people prefer texting, of course they do they copy and paste the same message to 100 places and pick the cheapest hack. In my experience you start texting you will land 1 job in a 100. The other 99 you will have lost 200 hours of your life typing to cheaters and price shoppers.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Maybe at first when things are slow but you would quickly stop responding if you were in my area. This is not a place where most people are decent.

I hear all the time a lot of people prefer texting, of course they do they copy and paste the same message to 100 places and pick the cheapest hack. In my experience you start texting you will land 1 job in a 100. The other 99 you will have lost 200 hours of your life typing to cheaters and price shoppers.
Yea sir we do ??? So we can help you with your plumbing issue. We do charge a $49 service fee to come to your house and fully diagnose the propper solution for your problem and provide you with a set price to do the work. However if we do any work we waive the service fee.

Hmm 2 minutes is all it took and you might get less appointment total but those you get will be serious customers who appreciate your service and will be fine with your higher rate

·
Super Moderator
8,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,455
Yea sir we do ??? So we can help you with your plumbing issue. We do charge a $49 service fee to come to your house and fully diagnose the propper solution for your problem and provide you with a set price to do the work. However if we do any work we waive the service fee.

Hmm 2 minutes is all it took and you might get less appointment total but those you get will be serious customers who appreciate your service and will be fine with your higher rate

You haven't read my soaps have you. 49$ is the price for the whole job.....49$ if for a complete bath reno....

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
You haven't read my soaps have you. 49$ is the price for the whole job.....49$ if for a complete bath reno....
Oh no I closely follow every one of them. Better than going to the movies. Hell I even thought I should pay you a little for all the entertainment you give me.

Beauty if the text is that you now have it in clear writing so nothing can be disbuted. If they complain when it's time to collect just tell them to expect a letter from your lawyer with a lien on their property within the week.

·
Super Moderator
8,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,457
Oh no I closely follow every one of them. Better than going to the movies. Hell I even thought I should pay you a little for all the entertainment you give me.

Beauty if the text is that you now have it in clear writing so nothing can be disbuted. If they complain when it's time to collect just tell them to expect a letter from your lawyer with a lien on their property within the week.

You can try that text proof all you want but you haven't dealt with my accents. They say yes yes and when it's time to pay they'll say your text, your contract is not valid.

Can't put a lien on service calls. The property needs augmented value. For example a complete reno with more fancy fixtures. You just swap out a toilet or replace the whole stack, nope you didn't add any value. You renovate and put the same quality of stuff in, can't put a lien.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
You can try that text proof all you want but you haven't dealt with my accents. They say yes yes and when it's time to pay they'll say your text, your contract is not valid.

Can't put a lien on service calls. The property needs augmented value. For example a complete reno with more fancy fixtures. You just swap out a toilet or replace the whole stack, nope you didn't add any value. You renovate and put the same quality of stuff in, can't put a lien.
Well do you expect the customer to know that? It might be an empty threat but it's nothing more than playing their game. They try to push you down and trambke on you to get a low price and in return you show them that you are actually a big strong bull and not budging on what is right and if they try to push you any further they will be the ones getting pushed and trambled on if they are not careful. Metaphorical of course but that is the game they know. Tramble on the other guy or give him what he wants unless they are willing to risk being the ones trambled on.

1441 - 1458 of 1458 Posts