Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1401 - 1420 of 1458 Posts

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
I’m going to replace it tomorrow, learning experience. From now on I’m only putting in thick wall pipe. Even though I won’t get jobs because people care more about saving money than doing it right.
so what did their saving money do for YOUR bottom line??? nothing but cost you money....

·
Registered
1,015 Posts

found the culprit. When the electrician and the property owner back filled they took fill out of the junk debris pile thinking it’d be ok. Then tamped their section with a rubber tired skidsteer. Turns out it’s not entirely on me.

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
View attachment 128558
found the culprit. When the electrician and the property owner back filled they took fill out of the junk debris pile thinking it’d be ok. Then tamped their section with a rubber tired skidsteer. Turns out it’s not entirely on me.
why didnt you backfill at least a foot over the pipe??? with proper material....depending on how your contract reads and who is responsible for backfilling...its hard to say whose gonna $$$$

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
why didnt you backfill at least a foot over the pipe??? with proper material....depending on how your contract reads and who is responsible for backfilling...its hard to say whose gonna $$$$
Sounded to me like the electrician was going to back fill because he had electrical conduit to run in the same trench or accross it in one section.

Not saying that was a good idea......

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
5,882 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
It was a small 6x6 hole. When I dug across the parking lot. I cut off a wire. They repaired it and couldn’t wait over lunch for me to come back and backfill it.

·
Super Moderator
8,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,413
Blessing in disguise...

Got a call this morning from a previous customer saying his hot water line froze and busted and he woke up this morning with 2 feet of water in the basement. Told him I was full but I'd go anyway after my first call. I was 10 houses away at around 9:45 when he called to cancel saying I didn't confirm and he called someone else. I drove in front of his house 5 seconds later and no contractor there. At first I was angry but then I started to remember the guy, he was weird and I was wondering why the first time he was intruding every few minute while I was working until I realized he was hiding a couple of weed plants in a makeshift box with lamps and an exhaust fan.

Going to block his number right now.

·
Super Moderator
8,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,414
Side shows.... 5 Cents

Only wednesday and I experienced so many things this week other people would not see in a life time.

Morning job I was greeted by about 10 wild turkeys in the front yard. They were munching on bird seeds. The same place with the bunch of covid sign in their window...

Then later in the day I went to a hoarder house, the daughter wearing a real respirator and a plastic bag on her hair bun. When she opened the door she said I was good looking. Ok thanks... She was cleaning the place up to sell the house as one of the parent was dead, the other in an old age age home with alzeimer's and she had to split the profit with her autistic brother who wasn't going to pay a penny to clean up the place. He left the toilet full of turds and paper and hoarding jars with beet juice without vegetables inside. The woman told me she had already filled 2 huge bins and didn't have the money for a third one. She had been getting rid of junk since October. Midway through the job she was asking if she should change out the sink. Mam it's a waste of money the buyers are going to strip the entire place.

·
Super Moderator
8,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,415
Mission Impossible

I gave them my hour there for free, only charged the service call.

Guy has previously called another GC company with a plumbing license for a shower leak and the bozo just put some caulking around the shower pan and it still kept on leaking. The guy was really angry he paid money to some incompetent non plumber dumba$$ as he didn't even try to locate the leak. Anyway the wall and ceiling were already cut up and after 30 minutes still no leak so I finally told the guy take your socks off and try again, after another 15 minute nothing so I told him now take a real shower like he usually does and finally I saw the big leak.

Freaking 3" tee the shower arm is broken and looks like it was all glued in between 45's. To get there, the closet walls including studs and ceiling has to go, some floor joists have to be removed, the exterior wall removed and probably one wall of the shower upstairs has to be removed to cut the 3" vent in the exterior wall.

He was happy about the no charge and I wished him good luck. It's the least I could do and to run away from mission impossible.

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
............. I experienced so many things this week other people would not see in a life time.

Morning job I was greeted by about 10 wild turkeys in the front yard. ..............
I see turkeys all the time. I had one fly into my windshield last year at over 65mph!!!! Luckily it was only the passenger side, scared the bejeezus out of me! I had to drive around with duct foil tape on a 1/4 of the windshield for like 4 days before it got fixed.

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
.................. after 30 minutes still no leak so I finally told the guy take your socks off and try again, after another 15 minute nothing so I told him now take a real shower like he usually does and finally I saw the big leak.
HAHAHAHA!!!! I'm Dying!! You had the guy take a shower?!?!? I know it seems obvious to some of you but to me that's hilarious, I would never ask a customer to get naked.

·
Super Moderator
8,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,418
HAHAHAHA!!!! I'm Dying!! You had the guy take a shower?!?!? I know it seems obvious to some of you but to me that's hilarious, I would never ask a customer to get naked.

Yeah I told him to get in the shower with his socks off and pretend but it didn't work. I was going to get to the bottom of it! Hey it worked! he came back down with his hair wet, now that was a little funny. 😁😁

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
well..I had basically the same call years ago from a female..shower leak..after 20 minutes of no leak, I said to her do you have a bathing suite..she asked why..and 10 minutes later shes in the shower in a bathing suite and now the leak showed itself..sometimes its to only way..you have to recreate what causes the leak...

1401 - 1420 of 1458 Posts