Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1241 - 1257 of 1257 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,241

"French"

Do the black canadians pretend they're still africans too? Do the irish up there only eat potatoes and beer?:vs_laugh::devil3:

Do those of german descent.....

Haiti...Haiti. Speaking of Africans, I was eating at a fast food chain and two tables ahead was the owner talking with a business guy or something. A very slow without any energy woman comes along to begin her shift in flip flops and her feet dragging over the sides, the owner asks her where she was from and she replied she came to Canada less than a year ago from the Congo. I seriously wonder what and why???

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
I don’t get it either,
I do 15-30 service calls/jobs a week, and I almost never have any or these crazy issues.
Maybe a cold call once a month, but they don’t much passed their first question of
“How much to do/install/replace BLANK”?

Maybe It’s cuz most of my work is WOrd of mouth or I come highly recommended by my past clients..

The French chick I hook up with from, from time to time (she’s from Montreal) says “we’re All crazy”..
I’ll confirm that..
the best way I can put it is like this, do you remember the kid in high school that every time you saw him he had a different new cast on, like he was a perpetual broken bone..well it has to be the same mo jo that gives these guys those type of customers....
its just how the universe is..and god protects the fools....

·
Super Moderator
7,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,243
I don’t get it either,
I do 15-30 service calls/jobs a week, and I almost never have any or these crazy issues.
Maybe a cold call once a month, but they don’t much passed their first question of
“How much to do/install/replace BLANK”?

Maybe It’s cuz most of my work is WOrd of mouth or I come highly recommended by my past clients..

The French chick I hook up with from, from time to time (she’s from Montreal) says “we’re All crazy”..
I’ll confirm that..
That's the difference, I get all kinds of people who see my ad, I get many each week asking for prices and free estimates. Repeat customers almost none, probably because houses are pretty new and word of mouth almost nil. I think people here don't really do the word of mouth thing. The only word of mouth that really works are the hacks, they work 7 days a week.

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
That's the difference, I get all kinds of people who see my ad, I get many each week asking for prices and free estimates. Repeat customers almost none, probably because houses are pretty new and word of mouth almost nil. I think people here don't really do the word of mouth thing. The only word of mouth that really works are the hacks, they work 7 days a week.

I gota say it has to go on, you may not be in the loop yet...but human nature is the same every where...you are going to ask a friend if they know some one for work to be done in the house, a doctor, lawyer and so on...people every where will ask around to get some feed back...
maybe the feed back about you aint good..and thats why you dont get alot of repeat customers..
that right there is a crucial red flag for a company..if you have very little repeat customers or leads from existing customers your in trouble...
thats not to say having a ton of new on their own customers isnt great to have too..you cant have too many customers...good ones that is...

·
Super Moderator
7,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,245
I gota say it has to go on, you may not be in the loop yet...but human nature is the same every where...you are going to ask a friend if they know some one for work to be done in the house, a doctor, lawyer and so on...people every where will ask around to get some feed back...
maybe the feed back about you aint good..and thats why you dont get alot of repeat customers..
that right there is a crucial red flag for a company..if you have very little repeat customers or leads from existing customers your in trouble...
thats not to say having a ton of new on their own customers isnt great to have too..you cant have too many customers...good ones that is...

People forget who they hired and it's a proven fact. A few times where people called me a second time round and didn't remember anything. It's not about bad feedback for sure or I wouldn't have the highest score in the entire province.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
People forget who they hired and it's a proven fact. A few times where people called me a second time round and didn't remember anything. It's not about bad feedback for sure or I wouldn't have the highest score in the entire province.

Since master mark isn't here I'll say it for him, STICKERS!!!!

·
Il Lic. Plumber
40 Posts
I work mainly word of mouth . Just me myself and I so I can keep myself busier than I want to be . Only advertising I do is a business facebook page where someone can google my name and find my number . I have built up a good customer base over the years . I did sidework back in the day and several of my employers customers would tell me if you go out on your own let us know . 33 years later I turn down as much work as I do . Cherry pick the good ones and let someone else beat their head against a wall trying to make money off the losers .

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
I work mainly word of mouth . Just me myself and I so I can keep myself busier than I want to be . Only advertising I do is a business facebook page where someone can google my name and find my number . I have built up a good customer base over the years . I did sidework back in the day and several of my employers customers would tell me if you go out on your own let us know . 33 years later I turn down as much work as I do . Cherry pick the good ones and let someone else beat their head against a wall trying to make money off the losers .
thats the way I did it...I rather deal with prime rib than chop meat....

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,305 Posts

[/SIZE] People are as dumb as bricks, and most of them pollute their brain stems with booze and other drugs which even dumb them down even further.........makes them good democrats I guess..

they cant remember anything most of the time except when they are running low on smokes or booze....

it amazes me how a grown man who has lived in the same home for 20 years dont even know if they have a gas or electric water heater when you ask them what they have
---- ALL they DO know is the water coming out of the shower faucet this morning just shrunk their nut sack down to the size of a walnut-----
I need help cause its really cold:vs_laugh::vs_laugh: .

Just slap your name on everything to remind them .....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rCLRxf5EMi3MobsG7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ixtMt9QJp2y9pEJW7

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,305 Posts
Originally Posted by Dontbitenails View Post
I work mainly word of mouth . Just me myself and I so I can keep myself busier than I want to be . Only advertising I do is a business facebook page where someone can google my name and find my number . I have built up a good customer base over the years . I did sidework back in the day and several of my employers customers would tell me if you go out on your own let us know . 33 years later I turn down as much work as I do . Cherry pick the good ones and let someone e

you are in the land of milk and honey just like me and a few others on this site are...... cherry picking your jobs is the best feeling possible and throw the dog crap to someone like TANGO.......:vs_laugh::vs_laugh:

·
Super Moderator
7,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,251
you are in the land of milk and honey just like me and a few others on this site are...... cherry picking your jobs is the best feeling possible and throw the dog crap to someone like TANGO.......:vs_laugh::vs_laugh:

Sure throw those bones to me, I'll take them because crazy customers already paid for my car and all the hack jobs will pay off my next one. :biggrin:

Alot better than being an employee where my life's goal was to be able to afford a new stove and throw out the rickity hand me down that I had.

I disqualify a lot more callers than before which helps a lot. :smile:

·
Registered
944 Posts
I had a call today. Accent from Toronto(3.5 hours away)that owns 4 properties in town called. I should have hung up when I heard hi, is this Peek Plumbing, instead of my last name. How much to fix a non draining shower and tub? Basic snaking is $150.00. Oh how much to also install a new outside tap? Add another $150.00. But that the best you can do? Yes, if I offer $100.00 will you come? Nope that’s the price. Oh are you sure? Even if I bought the parts and gave you the tools? That’s a good deal you should take no? Sorry sir I’m too busy for someone who wants to barter over the phone. I do wish him luck on wasting someone else’s time though.

·
Super Moderator
7,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,253
I had a call today. Accent from Toronto(3.5 hours away)that owns 4 properties in town called. I should have hung up when I heard hi, is this Peek Plumbing, instead of my last name. How much to fix a non draining shower and tub? Basic snaking is $150.00. Oh how much to also install a new outside tap? Add another $150.00. But that the best you can do? Yes, if I offer $100.00 will you come? Nope that’s the price. Oh are you sure? Even if I bought the parts and gave you the tools? That’s a good deal you should take no? Sorry sir I’m too busy for someone who wants to barter over the phone. I do wish him luck on wasting someone else’s time though.

Got a woman this afternoon with a slight accent, she wanted 3 things done and I asked for pics. The 3rd red flag came up when she texted me her very very foreign name and asking a quote.

·
Super Moderator
7,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,254
Stupid

Guy calls for a repair under a lav sink and asks how much and I can hear screaming from a very old woman ” Hang up, I don’t want anyone here, you’re stupid, I’m going to lock the door, I’m going to block the entrance... No”.

The guy puts in a few more words and the screaming from the old woman resumes, “stupid, NO, I didn’t tell you to call him, he’s not allowed here, I’ll fix it myself, stupid hang up, I’m locking the door, I’ll send him away”!

Guy say it’s my 79 year old mother and she says she’ll repair it herself. It’s should be less than 100$ for the repair.
No it’s this much, $$$$$$,

STUPID NO!! and then the line went dead.

·
Super Moderator
7,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,255
It's a trap!

I was snared today, I thought the accent of the woman was first nation so I booked an appointment because I had no issue with them yet... Until I got there and saw they were patels. The freaking house was abandoned for many years and they wanted to come back. The place was a mess with a bunch of decay and junk strewn all over, the ceiling in the bathroom upstairs was ripped out and the fixtures looked from the 70's. I asked him to turn on the water a little to see where it came from so I asked them you blew the lines for the winter right? They replied no they just opened the taps and we've been doing that for years. All of a sudden the ceiling was raining and they rushed to get dirty pots and pans to catch the drips. FROZEN SPLITS!

Then she wanted an estimate, mam I can't see through walls and ceilings and I already told you the rate, she said just a spot repair would of be too expensive, great a run down place and they are cheap. So she tells me to leave then changes her mind to start the job and then she spits out do you have insurance? Yes I do and I'm out of here!!! No charge, get me the fock out!!!

I lost my afternoon and money because I had a guy 35 minutes prior for an emergency and I declined him because I thought I had a real job.

RUN RUN! Wait is that a spoon beside the toothbrush??

·
Super Moderator
7,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,256
The whiner

The other days I was hired to replace a toilet, vanity on the main floor and a laundry tub in the basement. The guy signed my work order and I asked him how he was going to pay, he said do I get a discount if I pay cash? No, if you wanted a pirate you should of checked the hack ads. I also told him the rate was hourly because there’s always surprises when work begins.

I pulled the toilet to discover it had been leaking a while and the floor was rotted and he says "so that’s why it smelled like urine for a long time and we thought it was the dog." I told him to have the floor redone. He still wanted the vanity replaced so I took it out and there wasn’t any tile under it. his vanity was on legs but anyway he had to retile for the toilet too. The other issue the hot and cold were from the floor so I told him it probably wasn’t going to fit in there because of the drawer. I capped the lines. He and his wife didn’t want to pay to open the basement ceiling and re-pipe into the wall so I told them to get a new vanity like the one they had before. Only doors!

So I went downstairs to look at the new laundry tub kit with the included faucet and right away I saw it was chinese no name stuff. He told me he bought it online from costco. Sir there’s not a single certification stamp so I won’t be installing that. He argued a a little and I replied "I’m not paying you 60K in damages when it floods the place." Do you want me to call the manufacturer but remember you are paying my time while I talk to them on the phone. It ended up the manufacturer had no clue what certifications were and told me to send them an email. My job that day was done, got my check and left.

Here’s the juicy part, the woman calls me today yapping away whining repeatedly and trying to circumvent what she really wanted to say but she ended up saying if I could lower my price so they could buy luxury tiles and if I could re-pipe from the basement for free because they wanted to keep the fancy vanity and basically waive my service calls. No! Same rate applies, you knew the conditions before we started. They aren't people without money, the woman when I heard her voice turned out to be the type I know well, hagglers who try to do anything in their power for you to work as a slave while they gloat.

If they call me back they better not whine about the price, I’m not even sure I want to go back, she put up red flags. Should I tell them I'm too busy next time?

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
The whiner

If they call me back they better not whine about the price, I’m not even sure I want to go back, she put up red flags. Should I tell them I'm too busy next time?
I would see if they pay the first bill. If they have than whining or not they've acted properly thus far. I think if you continue to make the conditions clear before you begin any work you should be fine. I'm sure it's tempting to blow them off but you might want to think about how they can explain what happened to their friends without lying and still be able to make you look bad. Even if you did the right things they would say you charged too much AND you blew them off. If you come back to finish the job then whether or not they liked the bill they knew the costs up front and it was done correctly.

Do the jobs right and even when they complain about price and any sane person listening to them will know the finished product was good. If hacks are as prominent as you proclaim all the time than the few good customers must be going nuts trying to find the few good plumbers like you. Don't give the whiners any reason to lump you in with the hacks.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777
1241 - 1257 of 1257 Posts