Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was walking a commercial job in the Des Moines area a couple of weeks back and noticed all vent stacks had a test tee 4' to 5' above the floor, with the tee turned sideways in the wall. (they are under 2006 UPC)

Then this week I was reviewing specs for small TI job in another jurisdiction (which is under 2000 UPC) and the specs call for: "Test tees shall be provided on all waste and vent stacks 4'-6" above each floor as required for testing the plumbing system".

anyone every run across this before?

and why are they needed?? I am not clear what they are trying to achieve with them.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
"Test tees shall be provided on all waste and vent stacks 4'-6" above each floor as required for testing the plumbing system".
There is the answer, looks clear enough to me.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Cleanouts are required at the upper end of each terminal,anything over 5',changes in aggregate direction exceeding 135 deg.Sinks.There are more along with ommiting options.

Maybe for testing between floors.Could be elevated to get over urinals and W/C's

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
Chicago code requires a CO tee at the base of every stack, regardless of the size of the stack, it's purpose is to provide a means to gravity test the stack as well as to provide a an easy point to rod the stack. Roof drains including controlled flow roof drains, are considered a stack in this application as well.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
OP is talking about test tee's not clean out tees, they turn them side way in the wall so after the test they get caped/plugged and covered up.

When it happens here it is cause of the slab, no reason to retest the under slab once already tested, so you block all the lower ends and only test out the upper ends.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
OP is talking about test tee's not clean out tees, they turn them side way in the wall so after the test they get caped/plugged and covered up.

When it happens here it is cause of the slab, no reason to retest the under slab once already tested, so you block all the lower ends and only test out the upper ends.
That would be a code violation here.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Not here, allowed under UPC and that is what OP is talking about.

·
Registered
752 Posts
when i'm done testing and have a test tee thats buried in the wall the tee gets removed and a straight piece banded in its place.

they must of spun it sideways to prevent the sheetrockers from cutting it in as a c/o

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe I was not totally clear on my question.

I know these are not in place for meeting CO requirements, it is clear due to their location and being sideways in the wall.

If they are put in to gravity test the stacks, so the slab doesn't get re-tested, why are they at 4'-6"? The means all joints from slab to 4'-6" are not put under a test.....

Or do they re-fill the slab waste, but only up to the tees at 4'-6"? But this would not put a 10' head on the system.....

MUCK: if this is standard where you are, why are they in place and how/what are they used for?:huh:

Ron: even though it is clearly required by the specs, specs and code don't always match up. I know sometimes we will do things beyond the code to meet engineered specs, but I still am not clear as to WHY???:bangin:

Maybe I just missed SMTTI day (Side Mount Test Tee Installation):thumbup:

·
Registered
425 Posts
It sounds to me it's for the floor above with a ten foot head put on that system's revent fittings,they are capped then new tee's for the floor above it after test.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It sounds to me it's for the floor above with a ten foot head put on that system's revent fittings,they are capped then new tee's for the floor above it after test.
Commercial buildings, single story, slab floor on grade.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Commercial buildings, single story, slab floor on grade.
I figured that was coming.
Maybe they did not want to include the already tested ground work in the second top out fill.Tired of chasing leaky cleanout tees or popping closet caps/plugs.

Beyond that I have lost interest.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Or do they re-fill the slab waste, but only up to the tees at 4'-6"? But this would not put a 10' head on the system.....

Ron: even though it is clearly required by the specs, specs and code don't always match up. I know sometimes we will do things beyond the code to meet engineered specs, but I still am not clear as to WHY???:bangin:

:thumbup:
When we did a KFC we tested the upper end after slab test, one reason is we did not want the floor drain to blow the plugs out and flood the floor so we added the tees turned sideways in the walls, as far as the height to the test tee requirements, it is not in my code so I have no clue why it says it in that code.

·
Registered
567 Posts
What is it spec'd for? Is there a raised floor going in? Wainscoting etc????

·
Registered
29 Posts
C.o. Tee

In n.y.c we put the tee high so it cannot be used for a fixture drain. unlicensed skells love to slap in a 4'x2' bushing & connect sinks etc. to them. bob nyc

·
Registered
402 Posts

but then how will you know if your underground is still good? that no one managed to break something since you backfilled?

or what happens when you forget to pull a ball/cleanseal, or not put a threaded plug back in tight enough so it leaks sewer gas inside the wall?

testing your topout only like this just opens up a whole new can of worms, far more trouble than it's worth to me.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts