Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rent an apartment in a building that has 40 apartments and 4 more buildings connected to it so a total of 200 units. A few years ago one of my radiators started to produce a strong chemical odor that got better in time but never went away. The next winter I sought help which ended in getting the radiator painted, replaced with a new one, then they put an old one from a vacant apt then back to the new one. Only thing it did is change odors. It's so bad I can't turn the radiator on leaving one of my bedrooms cold as hell.

I asked a bunch of my neighbors in my building and about 7-8 apartments have the same issue with their radiators some even with their bathroom or kitchen heating pipes they can't turn off. And it's so interesting that it's random apartments. Like for example neighbors above and below me don't have issues but a neighbor accross the hall might have that issue. And also the neighbors who have that radiator issue also have water issues where it flanctuates in the shower from hot to cold. We suspect it's the boiler but if it was everyone would have issues. Super sarcasitcally says he smells nothing and landlords won't do anything. Housing court was useless to because odors are not a violation. We have no money to get a new apartment. Please help.

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
Nice Head, what’s in the bag?
1,595 Posts
What line of work are you in? Or where or what do you do for work?

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know this site is for plumbers and I'm not one lol but I came here to ask experts. But I'm in IT.

·
Super Moderator
9,616 Posts
I know this site is for plumbers and I'm not one lol but I came here to ask experts. But I'm in IT.
Boiler and steam heat systems are bombs if you don’t know what your doing; that said, I don’t think you’d try something on your own. Best bet is keep b!thcing and keep an eye out for someplace new. And where do you live when you need heat right now? Northern tip of Alaska?!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts