Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I worked for a man for a bit who swore that the best way to seal threads was to use Teflon tape, then pipe dope. Never again. I installed a hose bib in a house that had a boiler drain for a hose. I replaced it with a frost free hose bib. It was getting late and it was so far to travel I said what the hell, I will use both. Made the fitting slick I guess because I had to go back and I found that I had over tightened the fitting and cracked it. I was pissed. For now on, one or the other, not both

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Always both here. Tape and dope on top of the tape.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
I will take them hand tight then 3/4 to 1 full turn to call it good, it depends on the feel.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Dope then tape here. It probably works exactly the same either way as the tape gets cut up and pushed around along with the dope as you tighten. The tape over the dope keeps me from getting dope on my hands and generally spreading it around if I have to put it down or grab the end for some reason. Very rarely do I have leaks and I have never had a split fitting. One thing to be careful of is putting brass into cast iron. With dope and teflon it will make up very easily and I know people who have cracked boilers like that. I still use both on them, I'm just careful when threading brass into cast iron.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
tape then dope here. Unless it involves plastic to plastic then just tape.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Mega Lock all the way.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts