·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
various pics for dec 2008 008.jpg

various pics for dec 2008 007.jpg

various pics for dec 2008 006.jpg

various pics for dec 2008 005.jpg

Here is a Takagi Tankless. The customer was getting a horrible water hammer, so I installed a service kit, flushed it and then Installed a water hammer device. Worked like a charm. No noise and works great. Please note, I did not do the original install.

Tankless is becoming a big thing! Customers are inquiring more and more these days :thumbup:

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
dude, you put a flex line on the other water heater you posted tonight. BTW, i was told by the boys at Veiga, not to sand the copper. Just ream it, and put a black mark when it is fully insertied into the hub of the fitting.

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
Robert,

Nice work,

I know that you just installed that unit not the main water lines , but do they make you sleeve those ?

They look like they are just stuccoed in the wall, the inspectors here would have a field day with that, and I know it wasn't you. just asking :)

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Robert,

Nice work,

I know that you just installed that unit not the main water lines , but do they make you sleeve those ?

They look like they are just stuccoed in the wall, the inspectors here would have a field day with that, and I know it wasn't you. just asking :)

that's pretty much the standard in so-cal. lots of exposed plumbing and penetrations with nothing but stucco to "insulate" the pipe.

paul

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dude, you put a flex line on the other water heater you posted tonight. BTW, i was told by the boys at Veiga, not to sand the copper. Just ream it, and put a black mark when it is fully insertied into the hub of the fitting.

Ummm, not on tankless, I put gas flex on water heaters all the time, no need to hard pipe, unless I do a 100 gallon commercial. No flex on my tankless. Viega said no sanding, I told the Viega guy I sand because I felt more comfortable, and he said it was cool. I work with alot of really old copper and would hate to crimp to a 30 year old crap covered pipe??

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Robert,

Nice work,

Rocksteady pretty much said it all, exposed pipe is the norm here, covered with pipe insulation. Sleeves are only required through concrete.

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Robert,
what is the difference between tank type and tankless with the seismic stuff?

I flex in my tank type water heaters because I feel there will be more movement with them, even with the tight earthquake straps, the tankless does not weight nearly as much, not even close, so I hard pipe it in. Plus, the tankless runs alot more BTU's, so I would need to use a 3/4" ID gas flex, those are like $100 plus, or something close and looks like crap in my mind.

Strapping on tank type water heaters of course.

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
Thats cool robert, i would be leary of pressing fittings on worn out copper, but, hell it is faster, understand you on the sandinf of the junk on the old pipe.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
do you guys have to put drip legs on your gas lines to fixtures?

Nope. Our gas isn't "wet".

So Robert obviously mentioned he did not install that unit originally. We all understand that fact. So why is this installation totally illegal? Simply based off the pictures shown, and what can be done to bring it back into code?

·
Registered
28 Posts
The unit is mounted too close to the gas service regulator (vent).
As for bringing up to instalation standards...Pipe away the regulator vent to a safe location.

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
As for bringing up to instalation standards...Pipe away the regulator vent to a safe location.
Thank You for knowing the rules about that.

I play Wednesday night softball with a bunch of my buddies, there is a team we play called full of gas, they are a bunch of so cal gas guys. I asked him about piping it away and he said to just call customer service and they would send a tech to do it. Technically that diaphram belongs to them and we are not allow to touch it. I have never had to have that done but I find the gas co guys are usually (not always) really nice to deal with.

Good Job:thumbsup:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thank you!

I have done numerous tankless w/h. Close to 50...Most of my work is with LP gas units. Not too different though. Worked in the propane industry for 20 years.
Asfor installing the units, I have found it very usefull to become familliar with the installation instructions for the units. That is where the inspector will want to look.

I am an Auth Service Provider for Rinnai units. Not much need for them, but the additional work is great

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you!

I have done numerous tankless w/h. Close to 50...Most of my work is with LP gas units. Not too different though. Worked in the propane industry for 20 years.
Asfor installing the units, I have found it very usefull to become familliar with the installation instructions for the units. That is where the inspector will want to look.

I am an Auth Service Provider for Rinnai units. Not much need for them, but the additional work is great

Clearence on the Rinnai is 36" from eves, 12" from walls etc. So I assume 36" is from gas meters also. :)

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
nice job! is that a ppp mechanical chamber .. and what chemical did you use to flush that heater..?
- Sean

Plain old Vinegar. Yeah, thats a PPP.

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I didn't even catch this, I was to busy looking at the crappy azz gas flex. this water heater is was inspected and approved. I do believe it is 36" from the meter though. Maybe it is legal? I have neve3r had to install this close to the meter, well not yet, weds is my first install next to a meter, Rinnai said 36" clearence is fine.

Do you all agree???

1 - 20 of 27 Posts