Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
So far, I have seen a lot of plumbers post about not liking them, but no one has stated real solid reasons for that. Except the payback, and possibly the cleaning procedures.
Not having had a chance to install them, but being very interested in it here are a few observations that I have made.
1. There are several plumbers on here that install quite a few, and make who knows how much money doing it.
2. Ignorance on the workings of a tankless prevent many from pursuing any type of attempt at gaining some market share with them.
3. Most "Problems" are from improperly installed units, and therefore cannot be blamed on the product.
4. I am convinced that with many other types of products, we the plumber are our own worst enemy.
That's it for this round.

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
Ok, I have a sceneraio for those who are oppposed to tankless.

I have a customer that is going to need a water heater any time now, due to the condition of the 40 gallon tank.

They are a younger married company with 5 kids. Their oldest is 8 years old.
With a family of seven what would you put in for them?

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
Ok, Red.

52 degree water.
2.5 bath
Natural Gas Readily available
Mechanical room is a nasty closest type room. Tank-less easily moved to exterior wall in other part of basement.
They have gas forced air, for heating and a/c
Ok, I hope that is enough information. My turn

What would the cost and perfomance be for a high output tank, or your other options?

Dunbar, Why should they have to use moderation, when there is a solution that will provide endless hot water. To be honest, I would not be a happy customer, if I spent a grand and still had to use moderation when talking how water.

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
No one has stated how much they charge to de-scale one

I have heard quotes as high as 5900 which included a water softener ....
. they wont work correctly without one in these parts....

Personally , I would rather just do plan B
clear the way for everyone else who sells them....

then stand back and watch the fat lady sing.....:laughing:
I think its great of you to decide that. A person has to know their limitations, and if your content to not install them, then you are correct, it will clear the way for someone else to have that portion of the market.

We have most plumbing outfits up here that agree with your way of thinking, and I find it to be of benefit to me, if I can start selling that type of equipment, then hopefully I will fill a niche and grow my company.

I have only quoted a handful of tankless, but I make dang sure, that the potential customer knows exactly what the score is, no hidden costs. Of course, I do not quote a tankless alone, but give alternatives. I find that when I do that the customer will pick something, and a job is done, money is made. So all in all, tankless will make me money if I install them or not. :laughing:

Who is to say that additional tax credits will not be passed? If they are, then so much for you fat lady.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
oh.....I forgot to ask....

I can change out all the parts.. EVERYTHING on a 7 year old Bradford white gas defender in about 30 minutes...
Usually charge the customer about $195..

whats the minimum you can charge just to figure out and DIAGNOSE what is wrong with a 7 year old tannkless???.

then on average.... what is the down time and how long does it normally take to get something like a gas solenoid valve for a TAKAGI??

anyone care to ballpark this??

crickets chirping.... silence......................................
.............................................................................:laughing:

been saying all this for 8 years http://weilhammerplumbing.com/houseofhorrors/

Ok, we get it, you don't like tankless. Here's an idea, don't put them in. What difference does it make what it costs, or what it takes to fix them. You don't have to put them in. Why keep at it so hard, if it is not going to change your mind?

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
120 dont cut it, that is basically just a tad higher than pisswater....and most of my customers want the heater turned up to 130 --35...

I show them how to do it themselves, and I put on the invoice that it was on low when installed it.. what they do after I leave is at their own risk

Once winter time comes and the water comes into the house like a ice cold slushey at about 40 degrees, then they complain on how the heater cant keep up at 120....
its called stratification....

of course with a tankless ,
that in-comming winter slush water really makes it work hard:laughing::yes:

oopps, I did it again....

I may be a bit north of you, but this slush thing must have something to do with the way the your water lines are run. Cause up here, the ground is a constant temp where our line are, therefore, the temp stays a constant 52 degrees.

In the words of Britney Spears "Oops I did it again." Boo-Yah!!!

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
a lot of it comes from resivours in our area and some from ground wells that feed the city lines....

it can range from the 52 down to some damn cold water......

I have never taken a thermometer to check it ,

INDY....If you like tankless, then by all means, go for it.....
if it keeps you in business and pays your bills ,
tell the customer whatever you want to get them to buy one..

Sorry that I am just stateing cold hard facts....

Sorry Mark, but with few exceptions, most of your assertions have been opinion. Most of what was said has been highly speculative. Then there is the accusation of someone out right lying to sell a tankless.

After someone explained the water from a reservoir, I can see you argument. So I will give you that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.