Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
Here with our incoming water temps in the mid 30's in the winter, really the only residential use for tankless is someone that has a car wash shower system, and is ready to pay the price for the ganged system it would require.

We don't see many at all...

Those that do have them are less than satisfied and probably would go back to a tank next time.

The main reasons is the slow payback, and inconvenience associated with low flow and intermittent hot water use without a storage tank. Once you figure a storage tank added to the system the cost and payback makes it prohibitive.

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
Ok, I have a sceneraio for those who are oppposed to tankless.

I have a customer that is going to need a water heater any time now, due to the condition of the 40 gallon tank.

They are a younger married company with 5 kids. Their oldest is 8 years old.
With a family of seven what would you put in for them?
I think we are wandering away on the thread subject...

I stated above that I don't see many installs here and the reason.

But in response to your scenario you need to give better info...

What is their demand requirements? Are they doing this in a 1 bath home?:laughing:
Yea my parents did that with 6 kids....

What are the rate of rise requirements? Are we in Miami or, Fairbanks, Alaska?

What are the energy sources available?

What is the sizes of the spaces available for mechanical equipment installation?

Is there other already installed equipment available that should be considered? I.E. a boiler

Are you wishing to blindly force tankless as the best solution or, is high output tank an option?

just a few of the many questions....

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
Nasty mechanical room does not say the space available. Is there room for a larger tank with the old one removed? How much?

One other question Indie...

In your scenario what unit are you proposing?:whistling2:

PS you are doing a nice job of optimizing this for a tankless install now that you have moved from Indy....:laughing:

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
DUNBAR, REDWOOD
are you guys are all forgetting something here..

I had a long talk with the Rheem guy on Friday at their cook out and they were at a loss to answer my biggest question......

once you dont get that 30% tax rebate how are you going to make a tankless heater look feasable?????
Oh I'm not forgetting that...

Already Indie had to move further south to get that 52 degree water temp...:laughing:

I'm pretty sure he's got to stack the deck more before all the bases get covered...:whistling2:

Really we don't see many up here with winter water temps in the mid 30's...

My own nephew built his own house and did a pretty nice job of it, decided to go with an lp gas tankless...

We talked after the fact and he was saying there were some inconveniences that he is now tolerating. Mainly the flow required to turn on and the gpm limitation in the winter. Usable yes... But with limitations and inconvenience.

I told him we should have consulted and discussed a storage tank option but he's not going to bother with it. He'll be doing a tank next time around...:whistling2:

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.