Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,467 Posts
aint that the truth...I use my work van for estimates, but I keep it waxed and shiny, so it looks nice but doesnt show excess $$ spent on a vehicle...
whenever I did an estimate in new 4 x 4 trucks I would ususlly get the comment of" gee you must be making some big money"...so I stopped using them for estimates...
and any small talk with customers I minimize what I have or own..some people try to get lots of details about your belongings to size you up...
I remember when I was a kid, my parents where getting estimates for a circular driveway and one of the guys showed up in a very expensive Mercedes Benz and my father commented to him that he wasnt going to be making his payments on it with the price he wanted...and he didnt get the job, the guy showing up in a pickup with cement splatter on it with tools got the job at a much better price..

I usually talk about them or their cats if they have any, the other day an oriental guy had a bunch of american WWII era model airplanes so I talked about that. Most people ask if business is good, if I have employees, I tell them it's okay, I never tell them I have too much work(I never do anyway) and I tell them I don't have any employees because there isn't enough work and to keep the standard high. They never ask more than that, some talk about motorcycles or some own a porche but I never let them know what I have.

But today I may have a little issue, I pulled the tarp off the car to wash it and google street view zoomed past the house. Problem is that my business on google has a picture of my house right up top. Luckily I had the van in front of the car but they'll see the vette at an angle. Good thing I painted the fascia and deck this summer it looked like crap before.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I usually talk about them or their cats if they have any, the other day an oriental guy had a bunch of american WWII era model airplanes so I talked about that. Most people ask if business is good, if I have employees, I tell them it's okay, I never tell them I have too much work(I never do anyway) and I tell them I don't have any employees because there isn't enough work and to keep the standard high. They never ask more than that, some talk about motorcycles or some own a porche but I never let them know what I have.

But today I may have a little issue, I pulled the tarp off the car to wash it and google street view zoomed past the house. Problem is that my business on google has a picture of my house right up top. Luckily I had the van in front of the car but they'll see the vette at an angle. Good thing I painted the fascia and deck this summer it looked like crap before.

your friend rents your garage to keep his car in....problem solved...

·
Super Moderator
7,467 Posts
Oh right lambo thread... Anyway this week was so dead that I didn't have any work in the last 2 days. I spent most of the afternoon driving and I saw real quick another white Huracan, a blonde was driving.

Anyway last week I had to pull up beside the rental Lambo and snap a few pics for comparison. I like the black and white contrast of the 2 cars. The one I'd like to own would be a dark metallic grey. The number of days driving these cars is about to end real soon. Winter is coming quick, 1 week for me before I bring it in at the dealer and I suspect they'll open up the engine or taking it out. Thankfully the previous owner bought an extended warrantee.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,467 Posts
My Huracan die casts have come in. I'm definitely going for the Huracan. Too bad though in real life there's was a dark grey metallic that just sold, it was so damn sexy and in the price range I'm aiming for. The yellow one is going in my van, the green one the size of Hot wheels goes into my pocket on the weekends.

·
Super Moderator
7,467 Posts
We went cruising this weekend with my C7 and did a little walking in the city. I had told my GF I hoped to see some super cars because this was probably the last time before everyone stored their cars away for the winter. As we were walking all of a sudden a Huracan drove by slowly, probably looking for some parking. I nudged my GF and said hey look a Huracan! I quickly got the camera out but the car was rolling a little too fast to take a good picture so she told me he's probably going to come back on the other side so we cut to the other street and waited for it to come back. I snapped over a dozen pictures and I got 3 good ones out of it. A few people were looking at me why I was jogging with the camera trying to catch up to the car. Haha I was like whatever I'm going to have some more pictures for my album. It made my day all that much better.

For anyone who's interested it was a Huracan Performante and if you are wondering why in the first picture the car seems off the ground is that he had the front lift on (for curbs). Edit : It's not a Performante but an Evo. One thing I noticed because it was black it was pretty much incognito and not too many people paid attention. I was the only Fanatic in the crowd running after it! :ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
7,467 Posts
This Lambo is ready to hit the road(On my dash)! I don't like yellow, this color however is awesome. I disassembled the yellow and green cars and painted it burnt metallic orange, painted the wheels black and I also detailed the interior. The pocket Lambo is also done. Next step is to keep working my butt off and patting my Lambo lucky charms.

B (3).jpg

·
Super Moderator
7,467 Posts
My little car spotting of the summer.....

Maclarens, Lambo's, Audi R8...and the white 488 GTB Ferrari, where we drove vigorously, at the stop light I said to him "well that's a fast car" He replied "yours's too!" That comment and some adrenaline made my day, a 300K+ price tag difference. He's the guy who told me the Gallardo sucked and to get a Z06.

·
Super Moderator
7,467 Posts
Probably the last set of pics for the year. My GF and I were sipping some bubble tea when I saw 2 new C8 Corvettes so I went out to see them, at first the guy was a little aloof until I told him I had one too across the street, then he was yapping away and I was his buddy... Anyway these are his and hers, I showed them a scenic road and finally they wanted to take some pictures. Dozens of people flocked asking if they were Ferrari's. Several kids posed in front of the cars for their parents to take pics.

·
Super Moderator
7,467 Posts
I never explained how I got to drive a Lamborghini Gallardo in post #4. My GF and I were waiting for our food order at a chip stand/carwash and I leaned over the railing and I exclaimed to my girlfriend HEY there's a Lambo in there, I gotta go! So I went to see the guy and we talked a little and I was saying I was interested in buying a Gallardo in the near future and he replied to me "do you want to drive it"! Oh yeah! I asked "it doesn't bother you"? He said "I saw you with the Corvette". Great! I went to see my GF at a picnic table and she scolded me my food was cold and I was not keeping her company. What the F? I talk bout lambos everyday even this morning and I get to see one up close and the guy offers me to ride it! You are upset because I was away for 7 minutes! Jeez it’s a fairy tale day and it can’t get better than this. When is the last time a stranger tosses his supercar keys and let’s you go out for a spin? Who cares about cold fries!

So after lunch we met in town and we traded keys. That thing was so damn tough to get in because the doors don't open as wide as the Corvette. So we took off, that thing had paddle shifts and what I found strange the exhaust wasn't as loud as mine and it didn't sound like in the videos on Utube. I got on the on ramp to do a full send, told the GF to lean her head back, and to hold on, since it's an all wheel drive car it pulled straight, no tire spin, nothing squirrely and it didn't scare me one bit like my C7 does. My GF was like that's it??? The rear wheel drive of the C7 with traction control, the tires can spin a little if you mash the throttle too much. I had the feeling the lambo was slower than my car. He liked the Corvette very much he was impressed it was so technologically advanced.

I noticed right away how outdated the Gallardo was compared to my car. In mine I can take customer calls when driving, I have memory seats, front and back cameras, I can record going on the track and a bunch of other electronic stuff and I can select the stiffness of the suspension, adjust the sound level of the exhaust, the stiffness of the steering wheel etc. The Gallardo was a very basic car and it rode so damn stiff I imagined it like a go-cart riding on steel wheels, forget riding the car more than 30 minutes the seats were atrociously hard and very uncomfortable, after 10 minutes I wanted my car back or some cushions. The C7 seats are adjustable in everyway and I regularly drove 3 hours without problems. The black Lambo was beautiful and it was still a blast to drive and It was cool to see my car from an onlooker perspective. Both cars are sexy.

The guy offered to sell it but I had doubts about it, I could feel the car pulling when braking, I have the impression like it got ridden hard by the first guy who put a different bumper and wing on it. It was still a fun car and an awesome day.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
.............I noticed right away how outdated the Gallardo was compared to my car. In mine I can take customer calls when driving, I have memory seats, front and back cameras, I can record going on the track and a bunch of other electronic stuff and I can select the stiffness of the suspension, adjust the sound level of the exhaust, the stiffness of the steering wheel etc. The Gallardo was a very basic car and it rode so damn stiff I imagined it like a go-cart riding on steel wheels, forget riding the car more than 30 minutes the seats were atrociously hard and very uncomfortable, after 10 minutes I wanted my car back or some cushions. The C7 seats are adjustable in everyway and I regularly drove 3 hours without problems. ..............
Sounds like you better test drive every model before you plunk down cash for one. There's many reasons the corvettes are so popular. You need to find out if you really like the lambo or if you just like the idea of a lambo. Maybe it's the supermodel who is terrible in bed.

Reactions: Tango

·
Super Moderator
7,467 Posts
Sounds like you better test drive every model before you plunk down cash for one. There's many reasons the corvettes are so popular. You need to find out if you really like the lambo or if you just like the idea of a lambo. Maybe it's the supermodel who is terrible in bed.
Definitely, I better be able to test the Huracan for an hour at least. It may be difficult though because I have the impression they won't let you drive it until you buy it.

I bought the Vette from pictures without seeing it in person or trying one in real life. I just knew I'd love it from the videos. Paid the dealer far away and had it towed and stored it. I saw it only for 10 minutes on the towtruck and parked it in storage for 3 months until I could look at it for real. I still dream of the supermodel who's bad in bed (Huracan)? :p but the oxymoron is it hurts to think to rent a lambo for a day for 1750$ but I'm ready to dump tons of cash to own it for "the experience".

·
Super Moderator
7,467 Posts
You should look into the Hellcat.

Those are fugly. Even if I was given one for free I wouldn't want it. The purpose isn't about going fast it's about the experience. It's also impossible to speed here anyway, Police trap people on the downslope, upslope, they wait in the bushes and I've seen them blocking a lane or a fork in the road, diverge half a street without any care of creating huge accidents just to catch someone going 14km/hr over the speed limit. On the highway here you can have 2-3 provincials waiting on a 3km stretch of road. There are there every day, they come and go all day. Plus 3-5 portable cameras on the streets. This summer I saw on average 5 cops or cameras each day. I believe we are the city that's being the most ticketed in the entire country.

I'm into exotics, the ferraris I like are over 350K so forget about those. Porches look like V.W beetles that were flattened into sports cars. I bought the C7 because for me it was the closest to an exotic with some cosmetic mods which I did.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts