Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had posted about this clown who seems to think materials to RI and trim out 5 fixtures will run about 400 or so dollars. I just bought a
4x3 PVC wey
3" PVC street 45
3" PVC short turn 90
3" PVC test type closet flange
4x2 PVC reducer bushing

50.00!
I cant believe it! Seems everything is getting so damn pricy now!

Then today I spent 130.00 and some change for
3 sharkbite 90's
10' stick of 3/4 type M hard drawn pipe
3 3/4" bal valves
3 1/2" ball valves
Pack of 5 sawzall blades
4 3/4 copper caps
2 1/2 copper caps
and a can of rectoseal.
May have been 1 or 2 more things.

What the hell is going on? Are these prices like this all over?

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
I had posted about this clown who seems to think materials to RI and trim out 5 fixtures will run about 400 or so dollars. I just bought a
4x3 PVC wey
3" PVC street 45
3" PVC short turn 90
3" PVC test type closet flange
4x2 PVC reducer bushing

50.00!
I cant believe it! Seems everything is getting so damn pricy now!

Then today I spent 130.00 and some change for
3 sharkbite 90's
10' stick of 3/4 type M hard drawn pipe
3 3/4" bal valves
3 1/2" ball valves
Pack of 5 sawzall blades
4 3/4 copper caps
2 1/2 copper caps
and a can of rectoseal.
May have been 1 or 2 more things.

What the hell is going on? Are these prices like this all over?
Yep. It's called bend over and grab your ankles.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Don't worry, relief is in sight. As soon as OSAMA OBAMA CLINTON win the election the country will be saved. He has a dream............

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
Don't worry, relief is in sight. As soon as OSAMA OBAMA CLINTON win the election the country will be saved. He has a dream............
:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Banned
239 Posts
the second list dosent sound to bad....656 blades and ball vales are pricey even at whole sale prices.....

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
Customer of mine has two Kohler 1 piece toilets.
They both need rebuilds, one I got for about $110 - job done, the other ...forget it - $350...because it's discontinued.
This is a #3385 eb, I looked on their website, called local supplies and it is what it is.

Customer has decided to await it's inevitable demise and just replace it altogether.

·
Registered
584 Posts
The price for the copper doesn't seem so bad but the PVC it ridiculous. I guess it's gone up a lot since I last looked at the prices.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Don't care wht things cost. Pass the increase to the customer.
It's easy enough to say that but we should care what things cost, not that their is much we can do about it. Higher material costs result in higher bills. Higher bills result in more bargain shoppers, handymen, and DIYs.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's easy enough to say that but we should care what things cost, not that their is much we can do about it. Higher material costs result in higher bills. Higher bills result in more bargain shoppers, handymen, and DIYs.

Exacly. And you really cant blame them for shopping for the lowest prices, we all do it. But then when it gets to the point where DIY'ers and hacks are doing our work thats when it hurts us.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Exacly. And you really cant blame them for shopping for the lowest prices, we all do it. But then when it gets to the point where DIY'ers and hacks are doing our work thats when it hurts us.
We do? I don't. I practice what I preach. I don't to Wal-Mart or any of that crud. I do pinch my suppliers until they bleed on some things and don't ask any questions on others. I'm more interested in service. No service, no sale.

My clients pay for everything and buying the cheapest I can is not looking out for their best interests, especially when the cheapest can't be here for another week.

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
We do? I don't. I practice what I preach. I don't to Wal-Mart or any of that crud. I do pinch my suppliers until they bleed on some things and don't ask any questions on others. I'm more interested in service. No service, no sale.

My clients pay for everything and buying the cheapest I can is not looking out for their best interests, especially when the cheapest can't be here for another week.
I agree 100%. I have never been a cheapskate in anyway, and I rarely work for that type either as I am in the upper-echelon of service in town.

People choose me for the service, not the price.

·
Registered
344 Posts

And more unqualified folks out there means an easier sale for you and for me. If you're targeting bargain shoppers, then you can't complain when they call you and beat you up over price. If you target folks that want great service now! and at a reasonable price, then they won't beat you up over price.

This is why up-front pricing is so important in my opinion. Think how pissed someone will be if you did a T&M copper repipe on their home, and the last time they had this done was 7 years ago when copper was cheap.

They are gonna go ballistic on you.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I'm not talking about who we are targeting. I'm saying as prices rise more people will look to cut corners. When they can't cut costs on materials they're going to look to cut costs on labor. We can target people who will pay for quality but as prices rise these people are going to grow fewer in number.

The company I work with works for someone who owns a major cooperation. They have more money then you or I will see in our lifetimes. They're crying about prices. They still pay it but they do cry about it.

·
Registered
344 Posts
People that work with money all day are some of the biggest whiners I've run across. They seem to feel that money can solve and problem and the less money you can solve a problem with, the better. Now, there is nothing wrong with that, but someone that invests in the commodities markets realizes better than you or I what effect this has on consumer pricing.

Looking to cut labor to keep a price inline with yesterdays expectations is stupid. He doesn't cut his rate with prices rise, how can he expect you to? Does he think plumbers and other trades do not deserve consideration or a fair price?

I'm on you only because you are the one that posted the comment, not to be on your butt specifically. I target folks that want me to work for them. The ones that work to pay the bills and buy the kids braces just like I do.

I don't seek the wealthy out, because they tend to use money as a weapon, not a tool.

We solve problems.. we don't fix plumbing for a living.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts