Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

Tailpipe on bathtub drain kit

4K views 52 replies 15 participants last post by  Tom F Ohio 
#1 ·
Can I omit the tail pipe on a drain kit ?
The drain kit is black plastic material and I a tad smaller then my pvc so, I would have to add an adapter. If I leave the tailpipe on the drain attachment sits higher then the floor. If I omit the tailpipe it is a perfect height.

#29 ·
#34 ·
I did dry set the tub. I put a 1/4” piece of cardboard under (made plumb w/ surrounding walls) marked the drain location and then removed and did measurements. The drain will align. That why I’m so confused on the extent the plumbers want to go to for the height. I will dry fit again tomorrow with drain kit in p trap to confirm height. I really appreciate your help.

#47 ·
I've been plumbing a long time, yes, looked at their websites yesterday evening and they've added the ones that glue up now. It always felt funny to install the old school on some remodels with a customer supplied tub.

nah. make them toss it, or send it back. only thing that should be slip joint is an exposed, finished tub drain. like on a claw foot or pedestal tub where its external,

#48 ·
When I was doing new construction. We used all glue abs waste and overflows, or if they were brass we used 50/50 solder and soldered them up and screwed the bottom of the tee into a female adaptor. That being said I have installed a lot of slip joint waste and overflows on tubs for repair and remodel.

#50 ·
I keep a Gerber# G0041813 Roman Bath Drain Trip Lever in Chrome on the van along with some other internal tub waste parts. It will fit a large range of tub sizes. It's about as cheap as you can get while still being quality brass with brass nuts. I really like the overflow seal. You can solder all the joints if you don't want to use the slip joint connections.

The only time we install plastic tub wastes is when they are specific to that model with no better alternative. Most tubs these days don't have access panels..... until they leak of course. I would never set a tub on a slip joint that I couldn't tighten after the tub is set.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.