Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Sorry, when I joined this I didn’t know it was for pro’s only(because I was approved) The problem is I have had two plumbers come give me quotes and the first wanted to rip up the wall and floor and reroute everything. The second wanted to tear up the floor to reroute. Plumbers in my area have a consultation charge. I just want to make sure I’m not getting ripped off.

·
Super Moderator
11,997 Posts

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I’m not sure how you know what height the tub shoe is suppose to be. You may need that tail peice.
I’m not sure how you know what height the tub shoe is suppose to be. You may need that tail peice.
I was going off what two different plumbers told me. That it’s a below floor installation. They both wanted to rip you my flooring and drop the p trap
And one wanted to redo the waste pipe ??

·
Registered
Plumbing contractor
17 Posts
Have you looked at the tub you're installing and done the measurements? Normally the tub where it connects to the drain is a little higher than the plywood flooring. You have a standard looking installation so far.

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Have you looked at the tub you're installing and done the measurements? Normally the tub where it connects to the drain is a little higher than the plywood flooring. You have a standard looking installation so far.
I did dry set the tub. I put a 1/4” piece of cardboard under (made plumb w/ surrounding walls) marked the drain location and then removed and did measurements. The drain will align. That why I’m so confused on the extent the plumbers want to go to for the height. I will dry fit again tomorrow with drain kit in p trap to confirm height. I really appreciate your help.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Sorry, thought that is what I had joined , since I was accepted. I have since realized this is a pros only site. My apologies.
Good luck with your project, and hopefully you can find a plumber in your area that isn't a moron/con, which seems to me like what the two you told us about are. Did either of them explain why they wanted to do the work they described? Maybe there is a code issue that we can't see in your pics. Doesn't really seem like there would be though.

·
I aint CPV see in it?
Plumbing
5,785 Posts
I don’t mind helping the lady out. We set the tub, level it; then install the drain. But that requires access either from under or behind the tub. You can install it before hand. But that is some precision measuring. But it can be done.

·
Registered
Plumbing contractor
17 Posts
Most of my tub installs with remodels means I'm installing the tub drains in the floor first, and then dropping the tub down for the win. It's not hard to do. I almost never have access anyway, it's not like the new construction that I started the trade with.

·
Registered
Plumbing contractor
17 Posts
without an access most codes do not allow slip joint tub wastes. Better call Saul
And yet many of the tubs sold by Kohler have slip joint drains. All of the Geberit drains have them. Yes, code wants glued joints, but she's not doing it where I'm inspecting. Will it work? Yes, I did drains with slip joints for decades. You sure worry a lot.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts