Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone (Ladies and Gents)

I started as an apprentice in 2004, got my Journeyman in 2009 and received my master license in 2012. I started my own side business about a year ago and now has grown a bit into my LLC. Long hours and low overhead makes for my ideas to a brighter future.

I didn't go to a school. I was working at a security company and got to be good friends with a contractor that come often to work on the plumbing/hvac systems. He told me that the company he works for was hiring, so I applied and the rest is history!

In the state of minnesota, a journeyman has to have 7000 hours in 4 years, things got slow for a year and took my test in 2009. Thank you recession.

I have my plumbing license and would like to get my med gas certificate also. When I took my journeyman test, I felt more under pressure than when I took my masters. In minnesota, the journeyman and masters test are the same, but for a masters test you do a plan drawing of a restaurant. I was always curious on what other states do.

My most recent job was finished up today. A buddy works for a city they had a leak on their water line that fed a chlorine pump, irrigation system and outside spigot. Ended up finding 2 leaks on the section of pipe, one on the 1" and one on the 2". Cut out the section and resoldered it back up and added some new hangers with insulation since it will sweat in the summer months.

I stay busy with jobs mostly residenal but would like to get more into commercial. Thats where I started with I was an apprentice.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Hey everyone (Ladies and Gents)

I started as an apprentice in 2004, got my Journeyman in 2009 and received my master license in 2012. I started my own side business about a year ago and now has grown a bit into my LLC. Long hours and low overhead makes for my ideas to a brighter future.

I didn't go to a school. I was working at a security company and got to be good friends with a contractor that come often to work on the plumbing/hvac systems. He told me that the company he works for was hiring, so I applied and the rest is history!

In the state of minnesota, a journeyman has to have 7000 hours in 4 years, things got slow for a year and took my test in 2009. Thank you recession.

I have my plumbing license and would like to get my med gas certificate also. When I took my journeyman test, I felt more under pressure than when I took my masters. In minnesota, the journeyman and masters test are the same, but for a masters test you do a plan drawing of a restaurant. I was always curious on what other states do.

My most recent job was finished up today. A buddy works for a city they had a leak on their water line that fed a chlorine pump, irrigation system and outside spigot. Ended up finding 2 leaks on the section of pipe, one on the 1" and one on the 2". Cut out the section and resoldered it back up and added some new hangers with insulation since it will sweat in the summer months.

I stay busy with jobs mostly residenal but would like to get more into commercial. Thats where I started with I was an apprentice.

Welcome to the club!!!

Just two questions, why is pvc better than abs?
And how many sharkbites do you have on the van?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha, well I like pvc better because I feel as though its quieter with water going through it. Yeah abs is light in weight, but maybe Im old school still and why I still use pvc.

Being honest about the shark bites....I have 1. Its a 1/2" coupling I use for then I am doing an air test on my water pipes. Other than that, I dont use them.

·
Super Moderator
8,397 Posts
It isn't hard to make an intro. I was reading some of the other ones and was like, yeah no, add more info.

And thank you guys for the welcome!
You'd be surprised how many are lazy and have the gimme gimme attitude. Those who do a poor intro don't really get welcomed from the members and no one wants to be around them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Understand that. Well I hope to learn some and help out around here. But ill be cautious of the gimme gimme people.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh man. I haven't done drain cleaning since I was an apprentice. Using the drill augers or helping the service guy with main drain cleaning. Carrying the heavy drums down for the big sewer machine. Great memories!

I had to look this up, but this is the exatct one we used. Thank you cable guy for the smile!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Speed rooter 92. Nice machine honestly the lightest main line drum machine ive ever had the pleasure of hauling up and down stairs😁 some times i miss basements. But my back muscles sure dont.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Oh man. I haven't done drain cleaning since I was an apprentice. Using the drill augers or helping the service guy with main drain cleaning. Carrying the heavy drums down for the big sewer machine. Great memories!

View attachment 127093

I had to look this up, but this is the exatct one we used. Thank you cable guy for the smile!!
Speed rooter 92. Nice machine honestly the lightest main line drum machine ive ever had the pleasure of hauling up and down stairs😁 some times i miss basements. But my back muscles sure dont.

I've had a 92 on my van for years, use it on average once a day. I love it.

Reactions: dhal22

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Im a delta guy....but second choice is moen. Glacier Bay is for the weekend warriors!
Clearly you don't fix faucets, only install them.

Unfortunately there isn't one single brand that is the best. Somewhere on here I described at length why the glacier bay teapot and leonardo faucets were some of the best lav faucets you can get. Yes, a lot of there stuff is crapola, but that is true of all the brands.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Some of ours are old enough that they are speed rooter 91's.
Actually i think the one we had at the shop was a speed rooter 91. It was old and didn’t see much action. It was just kept around for jobs where the 1065’s were too wide to get near the cleanout

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Welcome. I'm also in Minnesota and am currently in the process of starting up my own business.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Some of ours are old enough that they are speed rooter 91's.
Actually i think the one we had at the shop was a speed rooter 91. It was old and didn’t see much action. It was just kept around for jobs where the 1065’s were too wide to get near the cleanout
Like many women, she's had some work done over the years but at heart she's still the same gal who spins me round like I fell in love with ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts