Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting a laptop in the van, but I'm not sure what the best way to sync the qb files would be. Would it be better to get a program that does it, such as: http://marketplace.intuit.com/AppID-2309-Overview.aspx

Or an internet connection and a program to access my office computer?

Is there another way?

I will be the only one using it, could I just save the qb file and copy it back and forth?

·
Former Moderator
9,817 Posts
I wouldn't sync for security reasons. The more you do wirelessly, the higher your chances of breaches. I would copy my office files to the laptap using a flash drive. It only takes a two minutes to do. Laptops are stolen all the time, put a password on your QB's file.

Golden rule - Only copy in one direction! Never make changes to the second copy and assume you will update the office later. That's when mistakes happen.

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
Or if you are getting a new laptop from dell, you have the option for gps tracking to be installed like I have in mine. If someone steals it Bios board becomes avtice when someone turns it on and the calls go directly to police department with the location.:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Illinois Licensed Plumber
4,253 Posts
I seen a HVAC contractor using a Digital Pen when he was filling out his invoice on the job site. I asked him about it. It stores all the data in the pen and when he docks it to his computer it will plug the data into his quickbooks at the office. I haven't looked into more details yet. http://www.digitalfieldsolutions.com/ There is tons of ways to do what you are looking to do some more secure than others. I did notice QuickBooks has an online version that looks like it would meet your needs. http://oe.quickbooks.com/try_free.cfm?sc=QBC-V51-TRY-HMEPGE-TXLK-08121

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't sync for security reasons. The more you do wirelessly, the higher your chances of breaches. I would copy my office files to the laptap using a flash drive. It only takes a two minutes to do. Laptops are stolen all the time, put a password on your QB's file.

Golden rule - Only copy in one direction! Never make changes to the second copy and assume you will update the office later. That's when mistakes happen.
I want to use my laptop in the van and print receipts on the job from qb, then update the office when I get home. Can I just copy the files from the laptop to the office when I get home, and then from home back to the laptop if I make changes at home?

·
Former Moderator
9,817 Posts
One day you will forget and make a mistake. Make one the master. Trust me, it's easier to make the mistake than you think.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How would I update the master after I've added stuff on the laptop? Would I go back and manually add them to the office copy?

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
I want to use my laptop in the van and print receipts on the job from qb, then update the office when I get home. Can I just copy the files from the laptop to the office when I get home, and then from home back to the laptop if I make changes at home?

This could be for you

Proprietary industrial design and Mac software
Automatically extracts key information from scanned receipts; can export to Excel, Quickbooks, TaxCut, and more
Scans are IRS-accepted digital copies, making tax preparation a snap
USB interface also provides power so no AC adapter needed
Highly portable
Amazon.com: NeatReceipts Mobile Scanner and Digital Filing System for Mac: Electronics

·
Former Moderator
9,817 Posts
How would I update the master after I've added stuff on the laptop? Would I go back and manually add them to the office copy?
If you are very disciplined, you can always update both ways. I would check with Intuit and see what they suggest. I'm not up on the latest and greatest as far as Intuit goes. My personal preference does not include any online access to Quickbooks. I'm very protective of my Quickbooks data and what it could potentially be exposed to. I realize I am the exception.

In the past 15 years, I have lost data three times due to computer crashes/virus/unknown. Each time I had a back up, but several days had to be recaptured. My personal Quicken hadn't been backed up for 30 days - a real mess recreating transactions that time.

·
Illinois Licensed Plumber
4,253 Posts
If you are very disciplined, you can always update both ways. I would check with Intuit and see what they suggest. I'm not up on the latest and greatest as far as Intuit goes. My personal preference does not include any online access to Quickbooks. I'm very protective of my Quickbooks data and what it could potentially be exposed to. I realize I am the exception.

In the past 15 years, I have lost data three times due to computer crashes/virus/unknown. Each time I had a back up, but several days had to be recaptured. My personal Quicken hadn't been backed up for 30 days - a real mess recreating transactions that time.

I have been playing around with the QuickBooks Online Basic and it does allow you to make backup of all your data to your own computer. I am actually thinking of switching my mom from MYOB to QuickBooks online.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm leery of online stuff too, it's too easy for someone to get your info.

I just want to find the easiest way to get invoices from the laptop to the desktop. If I paid for a multi-user qb, would they merge automatically?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yes and no.

This is gonna get a little complicated, so bear with me.

QuickBooks is a networkable program, meaning, it can be installed on a network server, or a desktop PC acting as a server. This means that the data files are on that server, not the individual's desktop machines. A multi-user version of QBs does nothing but allow the program to reside on the desktop machine, or the server, and the data to be stored in one location only.

So... you would have to "log in" to the server (a real network server, or your desktop machine at the office) in order to use a multi-user version. You would do this over the internet using soemthing called VPN or using QB's Remote Access service that costs about 3.95 a month, BUT, and this is important... You will have no access to your QBs if you don't have internet access at your job location.

OR

You can stick with what you have and just do backups and restores via a flash drive like Crazy suggested and risk making a mistake.

OR you can just keep your laptop as the home for QB and quit working on it on the desktop machine totally. This means you have to get a docking station for the office, or get used to working on the laptop all the time.

All this assumes you only have one real user for QBs. If you have more than one, then you're gonna need a multi-user version for all but the backup/restore option and it ain't gonna work in that case... The reason is, you'll have to export all the data from the invoices for that day from the laptop and then import them back into the "real" version of QBs.

And lastly... There is QB online. Not my choice. These folks want all of your business and are all up in your business at every turn. Nice folks, just kinda like a bad penny. They keep popping up on ya.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Double and everyone else. I think for now I'll try the flash drive, and if I screw up I'll look at getting remote access.

Now I just have to wait for my stuff to get here so I can get all of it set up. I can't wait, I hate paperwork

·
Registered
151 Posts
Depending upon how leary you are of online accesses and the abilities of your firewalls, etc. We use an online program that connects my home computer to our business computers. I can actually print forms, bids and payroll at my business or home from home. But like you say if you would be using WiFi I am not sure of the security vs. a cable internet. Definitely worth checking out. It helps me when I need a little peace and quiet to do some of the fine detail tasks and not be bothered by salesmen or reps. If your more interested PM and I'll give you my number since we are in the same area.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts