Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,082 Posts
Man, that's great they did it arthroscopically. 3 out of my 4 they had to cut open. Should be a lot better for you to heal.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Super Moderator
2,082 Posts
How is the healing going?

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
How is the healing going?

its gona be a long road, dr said my shoulder was destroyed, he had to cut and use plastic screws to put back torn tissue back on the bone, top of rotator cup had big tear in it and some other tears, my whole chest ad arms turned a nice shade of purple and everything was swollen, most of the bruising is gone now but the swelling is still there, i go back for 2nd follow up on the 25th and i figure physical therapy after that, he said 4 to 5 months recovery..ill play it by ear but my shoulder and arm are still tender to the touch...

·
Super Moderator
2,082 Posts
Friggin ouch. I've had both shoulder (one replaced) and both knees (one replaced) worked on. Hurt them a long time ago while still in the field. Could not afford the recovery time. Finally got into the office where we have sick time and decent insurance. Since it is lighter duty I could come back on limited duty in 4 weeks or so.

Could have never done it if I was still out in the field. Doesn't surprise me since your still out there for the 4 to 5 months recovery. Takes time if your cranking wrenches, drills, heavy cr*p.

Long road dude, good you seem to be healing fast. Nothing some single malt scotch can't dull.

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
my choices of liquid pain killer are Malibu rum and coke, amaretto on the rocks and kettle one mixed with something sweet...now being bored is coming into play..lol...i can drive short distances but the hardest getting stuff done around the house with 1 arm...ah the fun of it....

·
Registered
Plumber/Gasfitter
914 Posts
Hopefully you have a smooth recovery and get back to full motion sooner than expected.. I've only been doing this trade 10 years and sometimes I feel it lol... heavy wear and tear on body it's why we make big bucks lol

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
i started physical therapy today, not much more than therapist moving my arm around to see what motion my shoulder has, orthopedist said 3 more weeks for the sling, but a month or 2 after that till i can lift any weight with that arm..

·
Super Moderator
8,088 Posts
My Master keeps saying he needs to see the doctor again. He’s already been told he needs new knees and shoulder, but again, the time away from work.

Today our second job was replacing a two handle tub shower valve. He decided to solder it and it took him two minutes just to walk down eight steps after.

I’ve been working for him for about four years now, known him for about eight. I can tell you he’s in much worse shape now. But than again, he’s only 18 years older than me and I’m following at about the same pace.

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
My Master keeps saying he needs to see the doctor again. He’s already been told he needs new knees and shoulder, but again, the time away from work.

Today our second job was replacing a two handle tub shower valve. He decided to solder it and it took him two minutes just to walk down eight steps after.

I’ve been working for him for about four years now, known him for about eight. I can tell you he’s in much worse shape now. But than again, he’s only 18 years older than me and I’m following at about the same pace.

i have several friends that are younger than me showing signs of wear, but they wont slow down or change their way of working hard and i tell them what they have waiting for them..
2 new knees and a shoulder is probably over a year out of work between surgeries and recovery...and they dont get better on their own, as they get worse he will move less to not at all and when the pain gets too much he will have the surgery..

·
Super Moderator
2,082 Posts
i started physical therapy today, not much more than therapist moving my arm around to see what motion my shoulder has, orthopedist said 3 more weeks for the sling, but a month or 2 after that till i can lift any weight with that arm..

My 2 shoulders, the surgeon let me take my arm out of the sling while at home and lift it no higher than countertop level. No liftin more than a glass of water. I think that helped keep at least a little muscle tone and helped keep stiffness under control.

Leave the house get the sling on to protect the surgery and restrain any accidental movement.

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
My 2 shoulders, the surgeon let me take my arm out of the sling while at home and lift it no higher than countertop level. No liftin more than a glass of water. I think that helped keep at least a little muscle tone and helped keep stiffness under control.

Leave the house get the sling on to protect the surgery and restrain any accidental movement.

my double wammy is having the hand surgery at the same time, my hand and arm are still swollen because i cant elevate my hand up to get the fluids to drain out of my hand, but therapist said in time it will go down...this is way worse than hip replacement...i can only wonder how people that lose an arm or 2 from accidents or from the military get by....

·
Registered
839 Posts
Just saw this.

When I had my shoulder re-done they had an exercise chair that manipulated my arm up and down and a bit side to side. Was supposed to use it four hours a day but I nearly doubled that over several weeks.

Even persuaded the rental company to leave it there weeks longer as I worked my way back to health. Mind you this was thirty years ago but I was back on the job in three months.

Movement is key to this recovery in your shoulder.

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Just saw this.

When I had my shoulder re-done they had an exercise chair that manipulated my arm up and down and a bit side to side. Was supposed to use it four hours a day but I nearly doubled that over several weeks.

Even persuaded the rental company to leave it there weeks longer as I worked my way back to health. Mind you this was thirty years ago but I was back on the job in three months.

Movement is key to this recovery in your shoulder.
i spoke with another PA from the ortho office and said with all the damage in my shoulder i shouldnt be doing much if any shoulder pt yet, the 6 week mark is when shoulder pt should start as not to pull any of the repairs off the bone...so now it will just be pt on the hand the next few weeks, someone else mentioned the moving chair for the shoulder..

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
a some progress..my arm is out of the sling and have shoulder PT today , that should have some pain to say the least :crying:...still cant pick up anything more than a coffee cup and cant raise my arm above my shoulder but better than being in a sling...:smile:

41 - 56 of 56 Posts