Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Right now it seems it's worse than it has been. Pvc is out of control with constant price increases. I'm having trouble getting watts brand stuff. One of my supply houses says that some of the toilet company's have limited him as to what he can buy based on past year's orders. I guess to try to prevent people from over stocking much like the toilet paper hoarding that had happened.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Certified Smart Ass
344 Posts
Can't find a 40g or a 50g for 100 miles here. No tanklesses, and we're extremely short of SDR. You're very lucky if you find any.

You can still get ABS here, but basic fittings like p-traps have been out for weeks at every supplier.

PVC is gone

Lord have mercy

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Can't find a 40g or a 50g for 100 miles here. No tanklesses, and we're extremely short of SDR. You're very lucky if you find any.

You can still get ABS here, but basic fittings like p-traps have been out for weeks at every supplier.

PVC is gone

Lord have mercy
Very strange, I can’t figure out what changed in the last couple months.

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
Nice Head, what’s in the bag?
1,661 Posts
ABS pipe and fittings are back in full stock in Toronto, still up about 15-20%.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
ABS pipe and fittings are back in full stock in Toronto, still up about 15-20%.
Same here, we have darn near everything in stock but some prices are just a bit higher than usual. Not sure why some of the guys on here are having such issues.

Interestingly, prier hosebibb vacuum breakers are taking a week to get instead of a day or two. Probably just my supply house though, I can't imagine those are in very high demand.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I just got a letter yesterday from a supply house saying my pricebook from February is not valid anymore as prices change daily now and it states some of the changes in price from February till now and I believe it said that PVC is up 80%. Inventory has been pretty consistent but I have noticed a bit more cases of "out of stock"

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Our supply house has been out of 1-1/2" 4-band no-hub connectors for a couple weeks. Been getting 2-bands instead.

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,889 Posts
In our town we have a shortage of Aquapex wirsbo pipe.....

you can get rolls of it but not 20 foot straight lengths.... been this way for a month or more
now ..... I found one supply house that had 4000 feet of both 3/4 and 1/2 left so I bought
500 feet of each to tide me over ...

I just put the packages in the back building with
all those PVC fittings that no body wants......

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·

·
canuckPlumBbob
884 Posts
are wholesalers dont even sell pipe anymore, we were sending a guy to Toronto 4 hours away to buy skids of abs.
plastic has the same value as gold around here now.
i cant wrap my head around why theirs no abs production still. this phukin covid b.s isnt a very good excuse anymore.

·
4th year apprentice
735 Posts
i cant wrap my head around why theirs no abs production still. this phukin covid b.s isnt a very good excuse anymore

That right there. Businesses and governments everywhere are using it as an excuse to provide reduced and poor service. What I can't understand is this big labor shortage. Stores and restaurants everywhere here have signs up asking for patience because they just can't find anyone to work. Where the hell are all the teenagers to work after school jobs? They could almost name their price.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·

That right there. Businesses and governments everywhere are using it as an excuse to provide reduced and poor service. What I can't understand is this big labor shortage. Stores and restaurants everywhere here have signs up asking for patience because they just can't find anyone to work. Where the hell are all the teenagers to work after school jobs? They could almost name their price.
I think the labor shortage is because the economy is going really well. Not enough restaurant servers because there are simply more customers more of the time. Those teenagers have been able to move up a rung on the employment ladder so they don't need to sign up for those bottom rung jobs.

We haven't had enough skilled tradesmen around here in a decade at least, starting pay is through the roof for anyone who knows their azzhole from their elbow.

·
4th year apprentice
735 Posts
Here too. We can't find apprentices or even helpers that are worth a damn. Even my 9 year old can follow directions better than them. Either that, or they turn out to be druggies or are "on the spectrum" or some schit. We are down to 4 licensed guys in the plumbing division, and 3 of us have been licensed for only a few months. While we have good support, we really are weak with experience, and that sometime affects our productivity. We just can't find anyone, with or without experience.

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,889 Posts
Here too. We can't find apprentices or even helpers that are worth a damn. Even my 9 year old can follow directions better than them. Either that, or they turn out to be druggies or are "on the spectrum" or some schit. We are down to 4 licensed guys in the plumbing division, and 3 of us have been licensed for only a few months. While we have good support, we really are weak with experience, and that sometime affects our productivity. We just can't find anyone, with or without experience.

Welcome to my world..... we cant find anyone worth hiring so we just work by ourselves
I have found it to be very liberating as I dont have to babysit morons who claim they
know how to do plumbing..... we are making the same money by ourselves that we used
to make with 5 trucks on the road.... .....and without the headaches... .

·
4th year apprentice
735 Posts
They have been giving me a kid starting his 4th year. I guess you could say that he's a net benefit, 51% help and 49% hindrance. He might make a good cop. He's always in my way when I don't need him, never there when I do. Kid can't even anticipate to get the eff out of the way when I turn around and start to move forward with me having to say so. He does things I don't tell him to do, that I don't want done, or at least not that way that I want. The things that I do tell him to do he doesn't do right. Guy with senority gets the crackerjack apprentice. I get the scraps.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts