Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else experience supply shortages?

My first and so far only short was last week with some pvc fittings, supply house said it was hurricane repair.

I also had a real estate agent tell me today that his buyer ordered a septic tank a month or two ago and they couldn't deliver it until recently.

·
Super Moderator
9,725 Posts
During the first lockdown we bought the last two 40ng short rheem heaters from our supply house. I ordered a wall hung Kohler sink and faucet, took about 3 months to get. Any back ordered parts, my customers seem to understand and are patient.

One supply house is a Milwaukee dealer. I ordered a Milwaukee weed whacker in may, got it just in time to use it once before winter. Ordered tool only, got a display model with a free charger and big battery. I’m happy with it.

·
Super Moderator
9,022 Posts
I see it more regularly at my supplier and have to check another suppliers and I finish up at HD. HD is so powerful they get priority to get merchandise before supply houses.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
There was a shortage on air conditioners for a while. The supply houses were saving what they had for their dealers only.

I just went to Fergusons and they were out of hose bibbs. They said they didn’t know when they were going to get them in.

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,889 Posts
I had a customer wanting me to repair his Home Depot Rheem water heater
this weekend... it needed a new crappy Honeywell valve thrown on it according to
the customer.... I attempted to get a part yesterday but they were not the same so I told him
to have Rheem just send them to him....

he texted me back and said forget it because he called Rheem and they were totally out
of parts so they just gave him a whole new heater for a unit only 1 year old...
He installed it himself....

thats gratitude...

·
Super Moderator
9,022 Posts
I had a customer wanting me to repair his Home Depot Rheem water heater
this weekend... it needed a new crappy Honeywell valve thrown on it according to
the customer.... I attempted to get a part yesterday but they were not the same so I told him
to have Rheem just send them to him....

he texted me back and said forget it because he called Rheem and they were totally out
of parts so they just gave him a whole new heater for a unit only 1 year old...
He installed it himself....

thats gratitude...
Anyone who calls me saying they contacted the manufacturer for a warrantee never works out. They expect the repair for free or next to nothing. Most times from home Deep, they expect me to get a new heater from that store and bring it to them and bring the defective one back for free. Nope

·
J. McCabe Plumbing Inc.
409 Posts
Back in March I ordered and received 160 side sensor, battery operated flushometer retrofit valves. the Sloan EBV-89-a and 120 battery operated, deck mount soap dispensers. 500 single hole American Standard sensor lavy faucets.
Sold and installed all but about 30 of the soap dispensers.
I anticipated correctly. All commercial installations.

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,889 Posts
Anyone who calls me saying they contacted the manufacturer for a warrantee never works out. They expect the repair for free or next to nothing. Most times from home Deep, they expect me to get a new heater from that store and bring it to them and bring the defective one back for free. Nope
That seems to be the way things work out with the tight assed do it yourselfers
They installed the heater themselves to save some money and now I am supposed
to be like "Mother Teresia" or one of the sisters of charity and come out and spend my
day doing the leg work for them for basically nothing..... They squeal like babies when you
tell them the price to repair their units.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Only supply shortage I've noticed is with gloves, but it's been getting a little easier to find them now. Ferguson is usually out but the local Hirsch pipe supply has them.

·
Registered
Certified Smart Ass
344 Posts
Just before Thanksgiving I went in to a local well known supply house and there was a guy there asking for a 3/4 hp disposal, guy said they would be out for at least two months

Yikes

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
I went looking for a new side by side re fridge ...nothing in stock at 2 appliance places I use...and they said its going to be weeks or months , they dont know when they will be back in stock...

·
Registered
Plumbing Parts Manufacturing
163 Posts
With the rush to buy freezers because of food supply concerns, etc. I have seen stories about that adding to the cost of copper. As copper continues to go up in price, so obviously is brass. Copper and brass being pretty important to our industry, makes the current market a bit volatile. I read this article about copper shortages in the coming years and it makes it even a bit more daunting, IMO: Copper: The Most Critical Metal - FNArena

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
With the rush to buy freezers because of food supply concerns, etc. I have seen stories about that adding to the cost of copper. As copper continues to go up in price, so obviously is brass. Copper and brass being pretty important to our industry, makes the current market a bit volatile. I read this article about copper shortages in the coming years and it makes it even a bit more daunting, IMO: Copper: The Most Critical Metal - FNArena
thats not why...AMMO....................brass cases, copper bullets...............and primers........by the billions..and the weight adds up fast....

·
Registered
Plumbing Parts Manufacturing
163 Posts
thats not why...AMMO....................brass cases, copper bullets...............and primers........by the billions..and the weight adds up fast....
I'm a shooter and a reloader and that's more of a manufacturing bottleneck than a supply of brass. Just saying.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do you watch forgotten weapons?

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Haven't heard of it.
It's this younger guy named Ian who lives in arizona. Over the past ten years he has gone from firearms enthusiast to being one of the top firearms historians around. He really know his stuff and has a good sense of humour. He is very thorough and has gone to darn near every private armory there is to visit. One of his common video topics will be antique firearms at auction houses. They have him do videos on their most interesting current offerings.

Here's a video he made from the Government Armory of Spain;

Reactions: bawalter
1 - 20 of 42 Posts