Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Plumber
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s up plumbers and pipe fitters. I’m Matt. I’ve been in the plumbing business since high school. I got my start running parts for arguably the largest HVAC company in the SE USA. When they opened a plumbing division, I jumped on board. My total time spent was with them was a total of 4 years. I started my business in 2014 at 22 as a home service company as I worked beside a MP on commercial jobs.
Funny fact, I pulled 2 permits on projects with a journeyman’s license for the city of Marietta before the inspector found out on a job site and threatened to pull my license (THANK GOD he didn’t)
A couple more years and some local relationship building I obtained my Non Restricted Master Plumbers license for the state of Georgia.
My experience has been from replacing pumps at lift stations on private properties (apartments) to reviewing blueprints in order to lay out slab plumbing.
I am an owner operator with my wife answering the phone. We have had several appreciate’s in the past, but nothing has stuck yet.
We took a 12 month hiatus to Ft Myers Florida last year where I worked with a small outfit as a service advisor. We used a “Billable hour” price that was set at $479 hr.
I have been unable to justify that in my business.My biggest hurdle right now is pricing the jobs accurately. I’m CONSTANTLY having people say to me that I am low, but I truly believe my work is better than what most big companies guys are putting out there (and that’s not bragging)
It seems as if most workmanship in the field that I come across has been swapped for the almighty dollar (cheap parts, sloppy work, sub par customer service)
Anyhow I could go on, but I’m looking forward to what I can learn and offer here on this forum.

·
Registered
Plumber
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the club! I don’t always read the instructions either, but sometimes need them to figure out something new! Stick around, share info and plumbing humor.… within site rules…:(
Welcome to the club! I don’t always read the instructions either, but sometimes need them to figure out something new! Stick around, share info and plumbing humor.… within site rules…:(
I mean, who doesn’t like rules 🤷‍♂️

·
Super Moderator
9,301 Posts
Welcome

You will find your post previous post here :

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
Hail your way. They will always try to beat you down. The busiest guy may be the cheapest guy. They do make several books for bidding work especially on the construction side. Nobody wants to work for nothing.

·
Registered
Plumber
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hail your way. They will always try to beat you down. The busiest guy may be the cheapest guy. They do make several books for bidding work especially on the construction side. Nobody wants to work for nothing.
Oh, we make something… but it’s not market rate I’d presume. Do you have a book that you read and recommend?

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Hi neighbor, I'm next door in the Roswell/ Alpharetta area. I've been at it quite a few years, now full time owner and 5 vans in the field. Happy to help with what works for us.

·
Registered
Plumber
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi neighbor, I'm next door in the Roswell/ Alpharetta area. I've been at it quite a few years, now full time owner and 5 vans in the field. Happy to help with what works for us.
That’s awesome dude
Are you wanting to continue to grow or do you like the 5 truck life?

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
I am officially done with growth. 4 master plumbers and one journeyman plumber. I rehired another ex employee recently and gave him my service van. In theory I should be full time sales/ owner now but with a lot of repeat customers I get sent out to handle a call daily. The office staff hates to give me a call but they know the value of repeat customers.

I've got 2 calls today. It looks silly for me to show up in a new Expedition but i just say my van is in the shop.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
North Atlanta (Roswell, Alpharetta, Milton), some Sandy Springs, Marietta, Buckhead and Brookhaven although big commercial customers (restaurants, car dealerships, etc) send us across the city. There's plenty of work (and money) in north Fulton Co and not a lot of money anywhere else so why bother.

·
Registered
Plumber
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
North Atlanta (Roswell, Alpharetta, Milton), some Sandy Springs, Marietta, Buckhead and Brookhaven although big commercial customers (restaurants, car dealerships, etc) send us across the city. There's plenty of work (and money) in north Fulton Co and not a lot of money anywhere else so why bother.
We have a campaign hitting Milton 30004 mid month. If you ever want to grab a beer let me know

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
You mean you don’t funnel 40’s with customers?!
That'd mean he was drinking and driving on the job, a big no in his book. He will however 'Pass a spliff".

1 - 20 of 21 Posts