Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

Do you drill a 3/16" vent hole in the discharge pipe?

• No.

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Yes.

Votes: 18 64.3%
4K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  DUNBAR PLUMBING 
#1 ·
#2 ·
First time in a long time

I had to replace a sump pump/dewatering pump while in the throws of a steady rain.

Most times a hard pounding rain comes through, leaves and the ending moment is finding out the hard way that the sump pump in the basement has finally failed.

What's worth mentioning:

Customer noticed days beforehand that there was wetness at all the cracks in the floor. <<< That to me would mean the sump pump had failed prior to our emergency call that became of this.

#5 ·
The zoeller we use, the # of which I don't recall off hand, says right in the book that the vent hole is integral to the pump and as such not needed. Where I used to work we never drilled a vent hole regardless of the pump and I cannot recall a single instance in 17 years of being called back for or coming across an air locked resi sump pump.

#7 ·
The zoeller we use, the # of which I don't recall off hand, says right in the book that the vent hole is integral to the pump and as such not needed. Where I used to work we never drilled a vent hole regardless of the pump and I cannot recall a single instance in 17 years of being called back for or coming across an air locked resi sump pump.

I catch dewatering pumps constantly air locked, basement flooded with pump running sometimes when I arrive.

It takes one time where the water drops below the impeller area, a quick shot of movement that creates an air bubble in the area of the impeller and that pump will never force the check valve to open.

You've been very fortunate, and I always drill those pipes knowing there's a relief hole on the pump itself.

It's right in the manufacture's instruction on all zoeller products pertaining to submersible pumps, whether dewatering or macerating.

#6 ·
I always have my whole career. I have seen the result when the hole is either not there, or the hole has clogged up because the person drilling it has failed to clean it well enough and it grabbed debris. I always put min at an angle, if I can I try to put it on the under side of the the 1/4 bend if the backwater valve is horizontal.

#13 ·
Without looking, it's a 3/16 hole. When I install sump pumps I drill the hole 1" above the top of cast pump. Never had a problem.

I drill it even if I don't use a zoeller. Cheaper brands sometimes don't mention drilling a hole. I say **** if and drill it.

Yes. The governing rule applies to all submersible pumps. I do it on sewage ejector pumps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.