Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a tub/shower valve today I needed to repair today in an older part of Albuquerque. Well the shutoff at the water meter was seized up and i couldn't budge it with my meter key. If it tried to force it and broke the valve i would be liable for a repair, so I had to call the city and wait 45 min's for them to come out and turn it off for me. After rebuilding the shower valve I had to call them again and have them come out and turn the water back on. They told me over the phone that I should never touch any meter valve and every time I need to shut off water to a house to call them. They are not letting us turn off gas meters either before we do a gas repair n the house. Does anybody else have to deal with these types of rules in their state?

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Depends on the municipality. Some are no touch. Others don't care.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
We can usually get the water shout off within 15 min, they allow us to shut them off if possible, but anyone I come across that are difficult I will always call.

·
Registered
200 Posts
we're not supposed to turn them here...if it turns easy i will turn it off, but like CP said if i break it i buy it. i have 1 of the water utility guys cell phone number... so if i need to i can call him direct and by-pass the office personel.

·
Registered
212 Posts
We shut off anytime needed. No one objects. Some houses around here don't even have a shut off valve. The meter is the only option. If the curb cock doesn't shut off tight, I've been known to yank the meter out and throw it up on the sidewalk. Then I can solder or glue without interuptions!:whistling2:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts