Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Lift Station Whisperer
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across this guy yesterday. Anyone recognize it? None of the local guys seem to know.

It looks like a Price Pfister to me, but the broach is longer than the replacements I've seen. Here the Roman tub faucet it came out of:

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
If it leaks from the bonnet nut just put some new o-rings on the stem. Clean the o-ring groove up with some string like masons nylon string.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
Lift Station Whisperer
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it leaks from the bonnet nut just put some new o-rings on the stem. Clean the o-ring groove up with some string like masons nylon string.
It leaks from the seat. Couldn't get a good pic, but it's been leaking long enough to erode the brass near the cone washer.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
It leaks from the seat. Couldn't get a good pic, but it's been leaking long enough to erode the brass near the cone washer.
Are you calling the washer retainer a seat? If you actually mean the seat than pul it out and get a pic.

The attached picture is the more common Pfister seat. It has a 1/2"-20 thread.

·
Registered
Lift Station Whisperer
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you calling the washer retainer a seat? If you actually mean the seat than pul it out and get a pic.
I did pull the seat out. The actual seat, cone washer, and washer retainer are all shot. It would have been a simple fix had they gotten it repaired a while ago when it started leaking.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Came across this guy yesterday. Anyone recognize it? None of the local guys seem to know.
View attachment 129336
View attachment 129337

It looks like a Price Pfister to me, but the broach is longer than the replacements I've seen. Here the Roman tub faucet it came out of:
View attachment 129338
View attachment 129339
Most likely some off brand they ordered from amazon,time for a new faucet,if you try to fix that stuff it will be leaking again in few months and they gonna talk bad about ya,just replace it

·
Registered
2,640 Posts

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
I did pull the seat out. The actual seat, cone washer, and washer retainer are all shot. It would have been a simple fix had they gotten it repaired a while ago when it started leaking.
I don't understand what's not simple? The seat, washer, and washer retainer are all replaceable wear items. The hardest one to get is the washer retainer but they can be found. I have a whole box of washer retainers.

As long as the washer screw is good and it seals on the washer it's fine if the washer retainer is scored. If most of the lip of the retainer is still there then you should just be able to put a new washer in.

I'm sorry if this sounds mean, but it kind of seems like you're just throwing your hands up because you don't want to fix it.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
Lift Station Whisperer
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't understand what's not simple? The seat, washer, and washer retainer are all replaceable wear items. The hardest one to get is the washer retainer but they can be found. I have a whole box of washer retainers.

As long as the washer screw is good and it seals on the washer it's fine if the washer retainer is scored. If most of the lip of the retainer is still there then you should just be able to put a new washer in.

I'm sorry if this sounds mean, but it kind of seems like you're just throwing your hands up because you don't want to fix it.
No offense taken. Basically, I'm boxed in by company policy and the customers desires. Our big shtick is our lengthy warranty of 2 years, but we won't guarantee anything in very poor condition. This falls into that category, and the customer wants the full warranty. So replacing the stem is the option that will satisfy both of them. It may also have something to do with our flat rate pricing; I suspect the boss doesn't want us fiddling with something for awhile and would rather we go for the sure bet repair.

I did find the replacement. It's an obscure Price Pfister.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts