Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys New to the Forum. Spent the first 12 years of my working life in the cesspool business on long Island. Family owned. One of the first company's on long island to have a camera to locate pools. Anyway from there we pivoted to sewer and drain cleaning. Spent thousand of hours on the end of the 300 with the camera. One thing we always had on hand is a pump truck. Basicaly Every house on long island has a trap and on the north shore often 8 to 12 foot deep pipes.If there was pressure on the plugs we would pump the vent out so we could get to work. If I were to get back into business with just a van doing sewer and drain how do you all relieve pressure. Sometimes snaking through a pulled toilet or vent is impossible. Is it worth getting mabey a small pump truck to pump the vents out or do you guys call a company to do it for you.

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
...........Spent the first 12 years of my working life in the cesspool business on long Island. ..........

Cess pools? Surely you mean cess pits or septic tanks.

Growing up my neighbors had a cess pool. Insurance made them put a 12' high chainlink fence topped with razor wire around it. There were a couple trees over head dropping coverage. It never smelled and it wasn't until us kids got older we found out what it was. Cess pools really are a good option, assuming they're appropriately guarded.

Also, you posted your "intro" in the wrong section.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cess pools? Surely you mean cess pits or septic tanks.

Growing up my neighbors had a cess pool. Insurance made them put a 12' high chainlink fence topped with razor wire around it. There were a couple trees over head dropping coverage. It never smelled and it wasn't until us kids got older we found out what it was. Cess pools really are a good option, assuming they're appropriately guarded.

Also, you posted your "intro" in the wrong section.

I’m pretty shore it’s cesspool as our company name was North Shore Cesspool along with every other company on Long Island having cesspool in its name. If there is a septic tank in front of the pool than it’s called a leaching pool. Other parts of the country that have more land use leaching fields. A pool straight off the house with just one pool and not tank in front is termed cesspool. Up until the 70s they were built with cinder block or even earlier brick. These cesspools could collapse And they do and people get killed. Now they are built from precast and do not collapse. Thanks for the warm welcome. My question was as a drain cleaner how do guys with no pump truck relieve pressure on the line so they don’t flood basements.

·
Super Moderator
9,022 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Usually basement lines have a floor drain or something below the cleanout (where I'm from anyways) unless it's an overhead co. On a full line with only overhead access I typically tried to find the line outside dig it up and pop a hole in it to clean from.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Usually basement lines have a floor drain or something below the cleanout (where I'm from anyways) unless it's an overhead co. On a full line with only overhead access I typically tried to find the line outside dig it up and pop a hole in it to clean from.
Around here most of the house traps are buried in a access pit under the foundation floor. The lines on the outside can be 8 to 12 even 15 feet deep making digging it up impractical. If the back up is showing up on the first floor shower or coming out the vent there is serious pressure on the plugs.

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
........... dig it up and pop a hole in it to clean from.
I call that making a "Drain Snaker's Cleanout". I use a regular 2" hole saw for plastic pipe or I have diamond coring bits for my angle grinder to make holes in cast, clay, or transite. Then I plug it with a 2" Marq-Two red rubber plug.

I got a bunch of the Shdia Tool brand core bits off amazon and they work great.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777
1 - 7 of 7 Posts