Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the itch to start my own show for a long time now. I have spent a lot of time preparing but I haven't really talked to anybody else about their experience starting up. I would like to hear others stories, advice etc for transitioning smoothly. How did you finance your start up? savings, credit cards, business loan? How much money should I have available to get me through the startup? How long does it take to get things off the ground? 1-2-3 years? What are some of the pitfalls to look out for? Where is the best place to put my advertising dollars?
I have a million and one questions and I really appreciate any advice.:rolleyes:

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
If you can stay in business for 7 years, you're chances of making it 10-15 is 72%. I'm sitting at 7 years right now and still don't feel secure, even though the phone rings every day.

That's hard numbers and a good gauge to follow. When I hear of plumbing companies blowing out of the starting gate making big numbers, that taste of money can grab you in a bad way because it's an influence to personal spending.

Meaning, you can feel invincible with all that money rolling in, justifications of things that might arterially be resourceful to yourself or company.

When a turn in the road occurs, or the economy affects the bottom dollar, this in turn can knock one off their feet.

There's something to be said about slow and steady. Don't "predict" earnings, ever. Maybe daily but not on big ticket purchases unless you've got backup incomes.

Every single piece of advertising you do with others? Make sure you turn it back to your website, even if it is paper printed. Use the imagery or a scanned copy so people can see it indefinitely. I have a 30 second ad that was produced for my company when I did tv advertising years ago and once I figure out how to get it internet, I get those advertising dollars spending again, going to put that on the front page of my website as an embedded youtube clip.

BOO-YAAAAHH!!!!

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
I wouldn't start a new business right now. I know plenty of business owners who wish they worked for someone right now---it is that scary. Find a shop that's busy and stick to it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts