Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone. Have a question that I hope someone can answer because I’m a little bit stumped. A couple days ago I noticed there was a little bit of standing water inside our outdoor sewer clean out. Typically this means there’s a clog somewhere, right? Well all our fixtures inside (toilet/shower/etc) are working as normal with no signs of back up or slow drainage. What could be the cause of this standing water inside the clean out? And is this an issue I should get immediate help with? I’m hesitant to call a pro to come out because, like I said, all our fixtures are working like normal. Only reason I bring this up is because we are selling the home and a home inspector pointed it out to me. Thanks!

·
4th year apprentice
798 Posts
That is the first sign of an impending clog. It can go for months with no problem on a typical household use, but then, BAM!, when you have a heavy use such as a holiday get together it can all back up without notice. You really want to have your lines checked with a camera first, before having them snaked. Those snakes can be real tough on pipes, so you don't want to do it unless it is necessary. You wouldn't go in for an angioplasty unless you knew for sure your arteries were clogged. It's kind of an industry standard that most companies will offer to snake it for free if the camera finds a clog. A few companies have been getting away from it, so if the first one you call doesn't offer it, just call the next one.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Home inspectors are notorious for crafting perfectly shaped polaroids depicting standing water in a cleanout and propping them in the wye fitting to make it look like a backup! Then they send their buddy over there with a drain snake and collect a spiff. Reach down in there, snatch that picture out and get your money back for the home inspection. Oldest trick in the book.

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,967 Posts
Drain beavers probably have built a dam in the drain.
I hate those dam drain beavers..... we got a lot of them in our city

1 - 7 of 7 Posts