Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the Speedrooter 91 equivalent (sp?) to the Spartan 300? I am not familiar to the SR 91 so I am asking who my be familiar to both.

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
I had the General speedrooter 91, lasted about a month then broke down. IMO it can't even compare to the Spartan 300. That's the machine I bought after the General broke down and I've had it with the same cable now for about 9 years! No belts to break, super strong machine.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Our shop uses Generals, including the SR91. I'm selling a surplus Spartan 300. The 300 is way more rugged and the feed bearings are larger and easier to service. Figure on the winch or ramps for the 300 to load in your truck. The 91 has the wheel in the handle to help you load it, but it's still heavy.

Both of these machines have enclosed drums which can hold water and rust your cable. Using motor oil, tranny fluid, or diesel fuel on your cable is cheaper than the machine brand stuff and will keep it lubed.

Check out draincablesdirect.com even with freight shipping, they're cheaper than the supply house.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Our shop uses Generals, including the SR91. I'm selling a surplus Spartan 300. The 300 is way more rugged and the feed bearings are larger and easier to service. Figure on the winch or ramps for the 300 to load in your truck. The 91 has the wheel in the handle to help you load it, but it's still heavy.

Both of these machines have enclosed drums which can hold water and rust your cable. Using motor oil, tranny fluid, or diesel fuel on your cable is cheaper than the machine brand stuff and will keep it lubed.

Check out draincablesdirect.com even with freight shipping, they're cheaper than the supply house.
I use a shop vac to suck the water out. cables last a lot longer that way. then i spray some wd-40 inside the drum to keep it smelling pretty. I also have a peice of 4 inch schedule 40 4 ft long with a 45 at each end and an 18 inch peice pipe in the other end of the 45,s then i fill it up with bleach and lysol and water mixture and run my camera thru it when i get back to the shop to disinfect the spring and cable. Keeps your camera sanitary and smelling pretty so it doesn't stink up your truck. also it keeps you from taking someone elses germs and bacteria intop the next ho's house. little extreme i know but the ho's appreciate. put caps on the end of the pipes when done so you solutiion doesn't evaporate.

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
Is the Speedrooter 91 equivalent (sp?) to the Spartan 300? I am not familiar to the SR 91 so I am asking who my be familiar to both.

In Christ,

Song Dog
The Spartan 300 runs 5/8" cable while the S-91 runs 1/2" and 3/4". The S-91 does not have as many features as the Spartan but it is also about $1,000 less.

Mark

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Spartan 300 runs 5/8" cable while the S-91 runs 1/2" and 3/4". The S-91 does not have as many features as the Spartan but it is also about $1,000 less.

Mark
That right there is why I could be interested in the S91-$. I can get one to go 100' w/ 5/8.

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
Registered
25 Posts
Why does everyone bash general machines? Theres a general mini-rooter on all of our trucks.. ZERO breakdowns besides cable replacement. They work great for kitchen (residential) and floor drains (not anything over 2").

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update

I just got the Speedrooter 91 w/ 100' of 5/8" cable.
I think I will like it.
You know I am a Spartan guy but if the 91 can do what a 300 can do at 1/2 the price, I'm in:thumbsup:. She will be on the truck in the morning:).

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
Illinois Licensed Plumber
4,253 Posts

Mark
You can swap the drums on the Spartan 300, you can change from the 5/8" drum to the 1/2" drum and the 13/32" drum on this machine. So you can do lav sinks all the way to main lines with it. My father used to keep this on the truck along with a 1065.

·
4,253 Posts
I just got the Speedrooter 91 w/ 100' of 5/8" cable.
I think I will like it.
You know I am a Spartan guy but if the 91 can do what a 300 can do at 1/2 the price, I'm in:thumbsup:. She will be on the truck in the morning:).

In Christ,

Song Dog
Let me know how she runs. I only had the pleasure to use ti twice in my lifetime.

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Let me know how she runs. I only had the pleasure to use ti twice in my lifetime.
Will do. It was nice loading it this morning. The wheel at the top of handle worked great on my truck. I have a loading wheel for the 2001 but the way my bumper is made and height, I have to use ramp for the 2001. Now I will leave 2001 off truck until I really need it.

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
Bought the 91 a few years ago from a failed "plumbing co.". It was virtually brand new. I got the 91, the mini rooter w/2 wheel cart, and $600 worth of various fittings (yes, I inventoried them) as well as some other odds and ends for $1500.00.

The 91 has served me well enough. I don't recall ever telling anyone that I couldn't get their line opened up. I have not used any other machines so I don't really have a frame of reference. I'm told that the Spartan is a "hoss" and can chew through anything. This may be true, I don't know. I can say that the 91 will require some finesse sometimes. I have replaced the cable once because I over torqued it one too many times and broke it. The inner core saved me the trouble of having to try and do a field repair in order to retrieve the rest of the cable. I knew nothing about drain cleaning when I bought this machine and had to learn everything on my own. This I'm sure will be common knowledge but it took me a surprising amount of time to figure it out (I got the point after breaking the first cable), when you come up on something that wants to cause the cable to over torque, you must stop, come back to the place where it first makes contact and then adjust the feed lever so that it just sits in place and let it chew, then advance a small amount, stop, let it chew, and repeat until you get through it. It should free up each time you let it chew. If it doesn't then you may be root bound in which case you will need to retrieve the cable, pull all the roots off and then send it back down. I have retrieved the cable several times only to find the last 4' completely obscured by the root ball that came with it. Much more than that and you will probably have to retrieve it, strip it, and send it back down.

Overall I like it and don't see a need to purchase anything else. I've retrieved root "branches" that were 1/2" - 3/4" in diameter.

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
One more thing, when I broke my old cable, it broke in the middle so I went ahead and cut the inner cable, had a new end put on and kept it as a 50' add on cable for the rare times that 100' came up just a little short. These are my observations, 100' really is about it's limit in my opinion. You can add another 50' but your power will drop quickly and I'm really not sure how effective you will be beyond about 125'. In a perfect world we would have c.o. every 75' to 100' but guess what it's not a perfect world. It will do it but it may take a little while and you need to be super sensitive to what's happening. Don't try and load more than 100' in the drum, you might get it in there but you may have a really hard time getting it out. If you need another 50 you will need to carry it with you (I put mine inside a used tire), run the first 100', disconnect from the leader, connect the 50' to the leader, retrieve the additional 50' into the drum, connect the other end to the first 100' and continue feeding from there. Fortunately I have only had to do this a couple of times.

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am gonna get the extra 25' cable. Maybe it might fit in drum (?) who knows. If not I will keep it as an add on.

Spartan is the hoss in my opinion, but gotta do what you gotta do and spent 1/2 as much. Would I have preffered a 300, yes, but like I said about 1/2 the price.
I have used Rigid, General, and Spartan (own 3 of them). They all work well and have great things about them.

Now, I just can't wait to use it:thumbsup:. Like getting a new gun, can't wait to shoot it:).

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
4,253 Posts
I am gonna get the extra 25' cable. Maybe it might fit in drum (?) who knows. If not I will keep it as an add on.

Spartan is the hoss in my opinion, but gotta do what you gotta do and spent 1/2 as much. Would I have preffered a 300, yes, but like I said about 1/2 the price.
I have used Rigid, General, and Spartan (own 3 of them). They all work well and have great things about them.

Now, I just can't wait to use it:thumbsup:. Like getting a new gun, can't wait to shoot it:).

In Christ,

Song Dog
Well if you want a 300 for 1/2 price call Marv at Allen J Coleman in Chicago, he sells 99% of his used machines that he makes sure are in good working order for 1/2 off retail list. If you need anything for your Speedrooter 91 give him a call as well. He will ship you the parts the same day.

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well if you want a 300 for 1/2 price call Marv at Allen J Coleman in Chicago, he sells 99% of his used machines that he makes sure are in good working order for 1/2 off retail list. If you need anything for your Speedrooter 91 give him a call as well. He will ship you the parts the same day.
Thats cool, thanks. I see them advertised in the Cleaner. I asked my Spartan rep about refurb 300's but he said they weren't doing them again yet.

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
4,253 Posts
Thats cool, thanks. I see them advertised in the Cleaner. I asked my Spartan rep about refurb 300's but he said they weren't doing them again yet.

In Christ,

Song Dog
Marv gets his hands on trade ins or just guys selling equipment they no longer need, he fixes them up and resells them. They been around a good long time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
General makes a good machine. I have a 91. Basic and built well enough to do the job and repair the machine if necessary. I ASSUME anyone reading this is mechanical enough to repair a machine that basic. They do the job, the skill is in the user. I just bought the j1450 jetter and all it is is a pressure washer for pipes only electric and set up well for the task.. Pretty basic if you are a mechanical person, which I assume most good plumbers are.

·
Registered
2 Posts
problem

I have problems with Speedrooter 91.
7 months it was OK, but then I have many problems with autofeeding.
First, i changed bearings and rollers. It worked for a 2 months.

Then problem appeared again, but bearings were ok and I noticed, that the cable in drum flipped and put together to the center of drum (to small radius). I disassembled all cable from drum and assembled it again. For the first look everything was OK - cable was not flipped. but when i worked couple of days - cable flipped again and put together to the center (i hadn't use reverse mode). After that autofeed almost not works :(

Why so? Anybody had such problem? I don't understand the cause :(

PS. before flipping - sometimes i hear some rustling from cable in the drum.
And sometimes autofeed works fine (2-3 meters) then feeding almost stops (cable only turning in one place) and then autofeed suddenly starts to work again ... and so on.
Sometimes I hear creak from power cable feed - sometimes i don't.

Help me please!

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
I have problems with Speedrooter 91.
7 months it was OK, but then I have many problems with autofeeding.
First, i changed bearings and rollers. It worked for a 2 months.

Then problem appeared again, but bearings were ok and I noticed, that the cable in drum flipped and put together to the center of drum (to small radius). I disassembled all cable from drum and assembled it again. For the first look everything was OK - cable was not flipped. but when i worked couple of days - cable flipped again and put together to the center (i hadn't use reverse mode). After that autofeed almost not works :(

Why so? Anybody had such problem? I don't understand the cause :(

PS. before flipping - sometimes i hear some rustling from cable in the drum.
And sometimes autofeed works fine (2-3 meters) then feeding almost stops (cable only turning in one place) and then autofeed suddenly starts to work again ... and so on.
Sometimes I hear creak from power cable feed - sometimes i don't.

Help me please!
I'd call someone that knows how to clean drains... :thumbup:

Have we met before? http://www.plumbingzone.com/f3/why-post-intro-11368/

1 - 20 of 30 Posts