Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to a job with my spartan 300 and broke the brand new 5/8" cable. Also the drum slipped and was easy to stop with your hand. So I called the spartan rep over to my home to repair the machine. He saw a lot of slop in the machine adjustment and warn parts. He took my clutch apart and replaced a brass bushing that went all the way through the clutch, it was damaged by the motor. and a bushing on the front of the drum was cracked and worn. He pulled all of the cable out of the drum and found out the leader was installed in the wrong direction. he removed the leader and installed it the right way. This time he didn't charge my any labor and few hundred in parts.
I had 100' of 55 mag cable with a broken end so I welded a new end on to the cable and put it in the drum with some lubricant. It worked great on the next job. I cut off the bend ends of the 5/8" cable installed a splice and welded it to the cable ends. Now I have an awesome running machine with 75' or additional 5/8" cable. Plus I bought an additional 50' of 5/8" inner core cable ready for some trouble free drain cleaning.

Registered
Went to a job with my spartan 300 and broke the brand new 5/8" cable. Also the drum slipped and was easy to stop with your hand. So I called the spartan rep over to my home to repair the machine. He saw a lot of slop in the machine adjustment and warn parts. He took my clutch apart and replaced a brass bushing that went all the way through the clutch, it was damaged by the motor. and a bushing on the front of the drum was cracked and worn. He pulled all of the cable out of the drum and found out the leader was installed in the wrong direction. he removed the leader and installed it the right way. This time he didn't charge my any labor and few hundred in parts.
I had 100' of 55 mag cable with a broken end so I welded a new end on to the cable and put it in the drum with some lubricant. It worked great on the next job. I cut off the bend ends of the 5/8" cable installed a splice and welded it to the cable ends. Now I have an awesome running machine with 75' or additional 5/8" cable. Plus I bought an additional 50' of 5/8" inner core cable ready for some trouble free drain cleaning.
Interesting... I have 5/8 cable in my k6200 and the thought of it breaking in a pipe really freaks me out 馃槹

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is quite possible If I was spinning the cable the wrong way it would be a lot weaker and likely to break. Anyways I removed the the 5/8" cable straightened the bend and put a splice in the cable and welded it so it is ready for service.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts