Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

Spartan 200 camera question...

4K views 44 replies 3 participants last post by  OpenSights 
#1 ·
Saturday I had a video inspection and went to use my new to me used Spartan camera. The last three times I’ve used it I’ve had to reconnect to the wifi, could be my tablet. But something odd happened. I was getting a “cannot connect, low battery.” WTF? It’s plugged into the wall!
Called my rep. He said that they do have a battery. The a/c charges the battery and the camera runs off the battery. Not plugged in the camera has X amount of run time. Learn something every day!
Does this sound about right, if it’s not a connection issue?

#2 ·
Low voltage might cause things like the memory for the wi-fi module to lose it's memory. My guess is wi-fi connection passwords are kept in a special volatile memory for security purposes. Volatile memory requires power to keep the information present. If the battery is failing it could cause volatile memory to be erased.

Reactions: OpenSights
#10 ·

Not sure if this one is right or not....

#11 ·
The old pack only has two wires?

Lithium packs need some way to balance the level in each cell. The pack you linked to says "With PCB", that means it has an integrated circuit to balance the cells itself. If you're old pack has only two wires than it should be the same.

Don't just go by voltage(usually okay though), and certainly don't go by the AH/ampere/amphour capacity as most of them LIE about the actual Amp/hour capacity. You need to make sure the cells are the same type, Lithium Ion, Lithium Polymer, etc. The pack you linked to is made from 18650(named by size) cells, as long as the old pack is also made from 18650 cells AND it has the same number of cells AND they are in the right configuration than it should be fine.

The pack you linked is in a 3S3P wiring setup. The picture on the page does not match the description.

Can you take a few more pics of the pack you have? I need to see the wires coming out and how many cells there are. Dimensions would be great.

#12 ·
If It was mine and warranty wasn't an issue I'd find a way to use powertool packs.

#13 ·
Well that's some horseschit. Six 18650 cells in shrinkwrap for 225$ is azzrape with no lube. Makita 18v packs have 10 cells and cost 50$.

#15 ·
Stopped by the battery store. They can’t repair it because it’s a lithium ion, if they do they could be fined??? They could build a new one, but the numbers won’t match and it would be nicad. I’m about ready to just buy one from Spartan. Tax write off anyway....

#24 ·
#26 ·
Base unit. Plenty of room for a Milwaukee battery.

I don’t know, and really don’t want to take the chance of frying a camera with the wrong battery. From what I gather, the battery powers the WiFi transmitter and is recharged when the unit is plugged in. Supposedly you can run it not plugged in for so long. I know the unit is worth trying to save because I could still locate with it.

#32 ·
More involved as I get into it. I’m thinking of just buying from Spartan.
All you need is a 3s3p pack made of 18650s with a built in charging circuit. That's not a resistor a diode, it's a thermistor for shutting the circuit if the pack gets too hot.

#33 ·
#34 ·
#36 ·
I'm willing to bet spartan buys their packs from tenergy, looks identical. Call up tenergy and ask.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.