Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday I had a video inspection and went to use my new to me used Spartan camera. The last three times I’ve used it I’ve had to reconnect to the wifi, could be my tablet. But something odd happened. I was getting a “cannot connect, low battery.” WTF? It’s plugged into the wall!
Called my rep. He said that they do have a battery. The a/c charges the battery and the camera runs off the battery. Not plugged in the camera has X amount of run time. Learn something every day!
Does this sound about right, if it’s not a connection issue?

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
Saturday I had a video inspection and went to use my new to me used Spartan camera. The last three times I’ve used it I’ve had to reconnect to the wifi, could be my tablet. But something odd happened. I was getting a “cannot connect, low battery.” WTF? It’s plugged into the wall!
Called my rep. He said that they do have a battery. The a/c charges the battery and the camera runs off the battery. Not plugged in the camera has X amount of run time. Learn something every day!
Does this sound about right, if it’s not a connection issue?
Low voltage might cause things like the memory for the wi-fi module to lose it's memory. My guess is wi-fi connection passwords are kept in a special volatile memory for security purposes. Volatile memory requires power to keep the information present. If the battery is failing it could cause volatile memory to be erased.

Reactions: OpenSights

·
Super Moderator
9,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Low voltage might cause things like the memory for the wi-fi module to lose it's memory. My guess is wi-fi connection passwords are kept in a special volatile memory for security purposes. Volatile memory requires power to keep the information present. If the battery is failing it could cause volatile memory to be erased.
Hopefully not! I found the battery, got the bracket to move but the battery doesn’t. The plate with the on off switch only lifts about a quarter inch.

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
loosen the bracket holding down the battery and it should slip out...looks like an allen key..

·
Super Moderator
9,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
loosen the bracket holding down the battery and it should slip out...looks like an allen key..
I did. Took the picture after putting the damn thing back together and thought “you dumbazz! Picture!” The bracket moved freely, but the battery wouldn’t budge. Obviously I didn’t want to try a pry bar....

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
I did. Took the picture after putting the damn thing back together and thought “you dumbazz! Picture!” The bracket moved freely, but the battery wouldn’t budge. Obviously I didn’t want to try a pry bar....
Double sided foam sticky pad underneath it probably. If it only has the two wires it's just a ni-mh or ni-cd pack and you could just buy a new one made for an rc car. Get a pick and I can search one up for you. Then you'd just strip the wires and crimp on some 1/4" blade connectors.

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
its probably held in place by some sticky, just give it a nudge with a screw driver and it should come out, or you could always call spartan tech support and ask them what holds the batteries in...
replacements should be easy, you probably have a part number on the battery pack..

·
Super Moderator
9,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
its probably held in place by some sticky, just give it a nudge with a screw driver and it should come out, or you could always call spartan tech support and ask them what holds the batteries in...
replacements should be easy, you probably have a part number on the battery pack..
Yep, just sticky tape and about ten fricken zip ties for the wires. I know mechanical things, electric motor stuff, not electronics.

·
Super Moderator
9,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@skoronesa

Here’s the battery info. I’m going to look around online, if that fails, there’s a battery store
about 20 minutes away. However they are the last resort. Had a bad experience with them a few years ago.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts

Not sure if this one is right or not....
The old pack only has two wires?

Lithium packs need some way to balance the level in each cell. The pack you linked to says "With PCB", that means it has an integrated circuit to balance the cells itself. If you're old pack has only two wires than it should be the same.

Don't just go by voltage(usually okay though), and certainly don't go by the AH/ampere/amphour capacity as most of them LIE about the actual Amp/hour capacity. You need to make sure the cells are the same type, Lithium Ion, Lithium Polymer, etc. The pack you linked to is made from 18650(named by size) cells, as long as the old pack is also made from 18650 cells AND it has the same number of cells AND they are in the right configuration than it should be fine.

The pack you linked is in a 3S3P wiring setup. The picture on the page does not match the description.

Can you take a few more pics of the pack you have? I need to see the wires coming out and how many cells there are. Dimensions would be great.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
If It was mine and warranty wasn't an issue I'd find a way to use powertool packs.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
Well that's some horseschit. Six 18650 cells in shrinkwrap for 225$ is azzrape with no lube. Makita 18v packs have 10 cells and cost 50$.

·
Super Moderator
9,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Stopped by the battery store. They can’t repair it because it’s a lithium ion, if they do they could be fined??? They could build a new one, but the numbers won’t match and it would be nicad. I’m about ready to just buy one from Spartan. Tax write off anyway....

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
Stopped by the battery store. They can’t repair it because it’s a lithium ion, if they do they could be fined??? They could build a new one, but the numbers won’t match and it would be nicad. I’m about ready to just buy one from Spartan. Tax write off anyway....
whats the cost for nicad at the bat store? and other than usage time whats the difference? if any..

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
Go to a hobby store that sells expensive RC cars/planes. They should have a spot welder if you want a custom pack. but really, just get pics that show the number of cells and I can find you one online.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
That’s a question for Skoro. I have no clue. The charging of the battery?
You could probably get it to work fine with a nicd pack but there's no reason not to get another Li-ion pack.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
1 - 20 of 45 Posts