Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so my Twist lock plug on my Spartan 100 pretty much fell apart, so I decided to replace it with just a regular male plug, that I could plug an extension cord directly into.

So, I took the electrical box apart, took the old plug off, and put the new one in.

And now, my Spartan 100 only runs in one direction. I flip the switch to go in the other direction, and it does nothing.

Anyone have any idea why?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only wires I unattached, and reattached, are from the plug itself. Everything else I left alone.

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
when you say you took the electrical box apart, what do you mean? can you post a picture?..as I read your post you say you just replaced the end plug on the end of the electrical cable from the motor..

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll post a picture when I go out to it later.

Basically, there is a recessed male twist lock plug in my spartan 100. It's attached to the cover of the electric box, the same box that has the forward/reverse switch, and the air switch.

I took the cover off the box, and took the plug out, and put a new plug in. I didn't take any wires off anything else.

The only thing I can think of is that the forward reverse switch broke somehow while I was doing that....though I'm not sure how, since it still switches normally.

Of course, I can't use it right now anyway, since the Truniun also broke, but I gotta figure this out soon.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I've been wanting to do the same to my 300. Never understood why they go with the twist lock, but maybe I'll leave it alone

·
Super Moderator
7,240 Posts
Here is my "cheater" 100 electric box (or peckerhead box).

I had a similar issue on the one I'm using now when I got it. Try this first: flip flop your two power wires on the plug. See if that works.

With mine the orange and orange/red leads from the motor were switched. In forward it would turn, but slowly and had bad electrical noise. Reverse it wouldn't turn at all.

I know more about three phase motors than single phase or DC... This motor is a single phase with a brushed armature and fields. My best guess is the orange and orange/red leads switch the field/arm while the black is common.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,240 Posts
This is identical with the 300. As far as the twist lock goes... helps it stay in place? lasts longer? One thing is true, a new female plug at Menards is almost $30. I've thought about switching it over too, just haven't yet...

·
Mark
1,399 Posts
Once again I see how lucky I am. I did the same exact thing! switch died on my 2001. Herbie the spartan rep came over and rewired it. He also charged me 350 I wasn't home my brother in law handed it to him. &[email protected]@$)&@$!!!!
Email spartan for the old diagram. If you were in Chicago I would help ya for sure. All you could have done is switch the ground wires. Find out which one is hot-switch the other. If I wanted a cheap power cord-I'd use a step drill and a cord with a strain relief bushing from Amazon.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mine looks similar to what OpenSights posted, except with different colors, which I believe means I have a different motor than him. Ground is green, for example, not blue like his.

When I first hooked it up, I hooked the black wire to the "bronze-colored" part of the receptacle, and the yellow wire to the "silver" part, which is the way you are supposed to, as far as my understanding goes. Green of course was hooked to ground.

Just in case though, I Tried switching it - and the motor does nothing at all. No forward, no reverse. I switch it back - and same thing as before.

·
Super Moderator
7,240 Posts
My next guess is your switch fried when the plug end fell apart? If you put it back the same, than something else went fubar.

Wire colors very on all the motors I have. Makes for a fun guessing game.

·
Super Moderator
1,750 Posts
I'll post a picture when I go out to it later.

Basically, there is a recessed male twist lock plug in my spartan 100. It's attached to the cover of the electric box, the same box that has the forward/reverse switch, and the air switch.

I took the cover off the box, and took the plug out, and put a new plug in. I didn't take any wires off anything else.

The only thing I can think of is that the forward reverse switch broke somehow while I was doing that....though I'm not sure how, since it still switches normally.

Of course, I can't use it right now anyway, since the Truniun also broke, but I gotta figure this out soon.

See PM I sent you

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Call Spartan. They will send you the proper wiring diagram. Don't tell them you retrofitted the plug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So - it seems I don't have a wiring issue, but a wire issue. Because I tested it again, and it worked both ways, with nothing at all changed.

Unfortunately this is probably a worst-case scenario now. If one of the wires going to the motor is bad, that's nearly as bad as the motor itself being bad for me, since I have no idea how to go about rewiring the motor, as there is no back plate on this motor to access the wires.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts