Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

(Sorta) New Member here...

3K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  gmchiurazzi 
#1 ·
Hey all, apologies for not completing this before posting - and many thanks for the advice I received!

So I'm a Gemini, like long walks on the beach, turn-on's include puppies and butterflies, turn-off's include mean people and alarm clocks. Right now I'm wearing... CRAP! Wrong forum, sorry about that... ;)

Actually I'm not a "real" plumber, I'm a plumbing designer (AKA Turdherder) by trade. Been at it since the late 80's when my career as a concrete finisher was cut short by my apparently girlie knees. I needed to find something else so I hired on at a place as a drafter and gradually learned the basics (stink up, poop down). A couple years later I had "hot on the left, cold on the right" down pat so I was off and running... ;) I'm not an engineer, and confidentially I can't stand most of them. They look at our trade like it's something stuck to the bottom of your shoe until they royally screw something up and need your help fixing it.

Anyway, most of my career has been in healthcare (lots of med gas work) but I've had the opportunity to create drawings that get laughed at by plumbers on most types of projects - commercial, airports, prisons, high rise, etc.

In all seriousness, I've learned a ton over the years by listening to guys like you in the field, and not being afraid to ask the poor guy trying to build what I designed what he thought of the drawings, and what I could do better. Unfortunately, it seems like the new crop of snot-nosed kids seem to look down on that approach since they already know everything. I hope you guys give 'em hell. 😁

See less See more
#9 ·
I'm fine with him being here so long as he corrects himself. "Turdherder" is a euphamism for one who snakes drains, as in herding the turds in the correct direction when they go astray. In this livestock analogy he's just the fencing designer, deciding borders.

#10 ·
Hey he checked ego right off the bat, and he’s not here asking how to remove a shower handle or fix a leaking tub drain. I actually found his first post about the pitting of copper interesting. Not something I’ve really seen before and enjoyed learning the possibilities. Valuable information, let him ride. He’s good with me.

#12 ·
If you look at who's allowed under the rules it's not just those who fit the strict definition of "Plumber".

So long as they aren't asking for help doing plumbing when they ain't a plumber, I am totally fine with designers/engineers being here if they are deciding what plumbing needs to be put in. Technically us plumbers should know all the numbers but usually don't. When we need help with numbers they would be nice to have around.

#15 ·
What do you do if a filter keeps clogging? It's normal bits, just more of them quicker. No excessive water flow rates. No excessive grease. All use seems normal/acceptable.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777
#16 ·
I don't ever recall this being a problem before. Perhaps the solids aren't spending enough time in the tank before getting pushed out to the leach field? It sounds to me like maybe the tank is a bit undersized and you're not getting the retention times you need to allow things to break down adequately. Do you know off hand what the retention time is? I believe 1-2 days is the norm but the old fellow I worked with always designed for 2-3 days just because of issues like this. The flow rate might not be excessive, but if the tank is turning over too quickly that might be the problem.

#19 ·
Tell us what a plumbing designer is if it isn't a plumbing engineer? Also what is your daily activity consist of?
Well after hitting the snooze button 87 times, i hit the john, then toss a dunkin pod in the ol kureig, i pound that down while reading the local news, then a quick glance at my email, then im out the door. I scream, cry, and punch the windows on my way to work all while resisting the urge to snatch the wheel to a hard right into a row of pine trees beside the ditch and taking the long nap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.