Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,383 Posts
After a full bath rough today...

I bet that throbs with every beat of your heart....

all you got to do take that red hot needle and go for it........

you will sleep a lot better tonight if you do.....

·
Super Moderator
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Despite a number of tattoos, yeah, I don’t care for needles. At 42 I still have to look away.

Honestly, it feels much better dispirit what it looks like. I guess I’m kinda like my dad, so use to pain that once a new pain starts it doesn’t bother me after a bit. Granted, I don’t have much grip in that hand... had to ask my wife to open a horseradish jar for me the other day, wimped out and had my broken down Master cut a 4” cast because of the vibration.

I’ve been using arnica and ice water. It throbbed for the first two days. Slamming in a door on day two didn’t help though.

What really sucks is that’s the finger I use to pack my chew and pinch. Like after my surgery I had to learn how to eat and drink all over again, I have Lear how to chew tobacco again. Monday I have a heater to replace and a video inspection, Thursday that add-a-valve, otherwise I’m taking next week off. Let it rest and heal.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Some people are terrified of needles, Open are you one of them? There's no shame.

I am terrified of needles coming back on my snake. I have told this story before so I will shorten it.

Snaking floor drain line for a row of kennels on the backside of a vet hospital. I am pulling out gallons of hair and also 43 curved needles used for sewing up surgery wounds. The operating room was on the other side of the wall and they would get dropped and swept into the floor drain.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Dropped a length of 6" NH off the back of a pick up onto my tennis shoe. Big toe throbbed so much I hopped around to distract myself. The GC's foremen saw me and he started hopping too. Unlike me, he thought it was hilarious. Got home 6 hours later and it still hurt like I'd just done it.
Another time I fell off a ladder when someone asked me a question as I started down. Wrenched my ankle pretty good. I dragged myself off the ground and shuffled over to my truck and drive to the closest critical care clinic. By the time I arrived it hurt so much that I called the front desk and asked them to send someone out with a wheel chair.

·
Super Moderator
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I am terrified of needles coming back on my snake. I have told this story before so I will shorten it.

Snaking floor drain line for a row of kennels on the backside of a vet hospital. I am pulling out gallons of hair and also 43 curved needles used for sewing up surgery wounds. The operating room was on the other side of the wall and they would get dropped and swept into the floor drain.

The local humane society is a customer of mine, so I know the set up, only surgery is in another location. Every time I go there I have to resist bringing home a new family member.

·
Super Moderator
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Back in CA I had a bust up. Took me over 24 hours, but I was on call. They gave me three hours including drive time... in San Diego! Of time off. Made me go to clear a floor sink at a restaurant, main line sled started to fall when I opened the tailgate. Went to catch it, only my pinky caught it. The sled won. Still not right to this day.

That hack company was commission so time off for PT, was money lost. Same company that made me want nothing to do with the plumbing trade.... guess it’s in my blood from my grandfather though... kinda like the mafia.

·
Registered
9,603 Posts
Here’s the proof of my death! I had to look away while my wife butchered me!

Didn’t hurt. Swelling didn’t go down much, even still swollen. Some beers can help you make the right decision sometimes.

letting the blood out just cuts down on the pain, the swelling will go down in time, faster if you wrap ice pack around your hand and finger...

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Back in CA I had a bust up. Took me over 24 hours, but I was on call. They gave me three hours including drive time... in San Diego! Of time off. Made me go to clear a floor sink at a restaurant, main line sled started to fall when I opened the tailgate. Went to catch it, only my pinky caught it. The sled won. Still not right to this day.

That hack company was commission so time off for PT, was money lost. Same company that made me want nothing to do with the plumbing trade.... guess it’s in my blood from my grandfather though... kinda like the mafia.

Was it a roto prefix company?

·
Super Moderator
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Second bleeding tonight. Probably same amount of blood, but she went through the nail a bit rough and I jerked. Some got on her blanket. Tissue didn’t catch it.

Dull pain vs sharp pain now. But if something isn’t hurting I’m not making money. Knees starting to hurt again and there was another usual pain I felt today. Rotator?

If I’m going to keep going long term, I need to quit plumbing and stick with drains. I can’t leave my Master hanging though. That other was a joke too the Master license!

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ouch

Worst for me so far was back in my tradesman days. I was told to pull a 3" test ball from a second story stack, someone had put strap-iron on the 3" stack to get it back in the wall.

When I pulled the test ball water started go everywhere so I pulled hard and fast to get it out, sliced my thumb open on the strap iron, down to the knuckle bone.

It was my first day on at a new plumbing company I didn't want to get in trouble so I ducktaped and electrical taped the heck outta it.

A week later I was mixing concrete in my driveway in a 5 gallon bucket making an anchor for my jon-boat. My neighbor came over, he is a doctor. He saw my thumb and asked why it was so swollen, red, and puss. He called in some anti-biotics and it cleared up.

Now I have a nice scar on my thumb, lucky I didn't loose the finger. I also where gloves now.

·
Super Moderator
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Worst for me so far was back in my tradesman days. I was told to pull a 3" test ball from a second story stack, someone had put strap-iron on the 3" stack to get it back in the wall.

When I pulled the test ball water started go everywhere so I pulled hard and fast to get it out, sliced my thumb open on the strap iron, down to the knuckle bone.

It was my first day on at a new plumbing company I didn't want to get in trouble so I ducktaped and electrical taped the heck outta it.

A week later I was mixing concrete in my driveway in a 5 gallon bucket making an anchor for my jon-boat. My neighbor came over, he is a doctor. He saw my thumb and asked why it was so swollen, red, and puss. He called in some anti-biotics and it cleared up.

Now I have a nice scar on my thumb, lucky I didn't loose the finger. I also where gloves now.
Dang! Thank God for good neighbors!

·
Super Moderator
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Bumped it today at the grocery store of all places. Now it’s catching on everything! I would’ve picked up a extra box of bandaids, but I was checking out when I felt the stabbing pain.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,603 Posts
Bumped it today at the grocery store of all places. Now it’s catching on everything! I would’ve picked up a extra box of bandaids, but I was checking out when I felt the stabbing pain.

screw the band aides, wrap that finger with some good adhesive tape( put tissue over the nail so the tape doesnt stick to nail only), or that nail is gona catch n rip right off.....and then you will be seeing the inside of your eyelids as you pass out and head towards the ground like a ton of bricks...

·
Super Moderator
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
screw the band aides, wrap that finger with some good adhesive tape( put tissue over the nail so the tape doesnt stick to nail only), or that nail is gona catch n rip right off.....and then you will be seeing the inside of your eyelids as you pass out and head towards the ground like a ton of bricks...
In the past I’d use electrical tape and paper towel of fast food napkins. I have some bandaids that works great, adhesive doesn’t touch the nail at all. I’ll probably do both depending on how the day goes.

I just showed my kid how much it moves lol! :surprise:

21 - 40 of 56 Posts