Registered
7,083 Posts

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
That is reverse return
Then what is with that mess of tees?

Gas Engineering Motor vehicle Automotive design Steel casing pipe

EDIT: I am wrong, I didn't take the time to fully grasp the situation. He did pipe it in a variation of reverse return.

·
Registered
Master Plumber
427 Posts
Then what is with that mess of tees?

View attachment 130888
These are domestic hot water storage tanks not indirect tanks. The bottom two connections are the supply and return from the heating source and are piped in reverse return method and the outlet piping coming off the top must be piped with all those tees in order to balance the flow coming out of the tanks to the mixing station. Here is a picture of the piping diagram from the manufacturers rep.
Font Parallel Circle Rectangle Auto part

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
These are domestic hot water storage tanks not indirect tanks. The bottom two connections are the supply and return from the heating source and are piped in reverse return method and the outlet piping coming off the top must be piped with all those tees in order to balance the flow coming out of the tanks to the mixing station. Here is a picture of the piping diagram from the manufacturers rep. View attachment 130889
I saw that the heating side is piped reverse return, the domestic side should be piped in reverse return as well.

EDIT: I am wrong, I didn't take the time to fully grasp the situation. He did pipe it in a variation of reverse return.

·
Registered
Master Plumber
427 Posts
What size expansion tank? Where'd you put it? How's the high horizontal stuff suspended? Are those tees going to rotate/does propress sag over time?
The expansion tank is an existing B&G PTA-125V with a 60gal volume and a 40gal acceptance volume. The exp tank is tied in on the other side of the boiler room at the cold feed with the existing shell and tube heat exchangers. The horizontal piping is supported at the tanks on a unistrut rack and downstream with 5” clevis hangers to allow for 1” pipe insulation. Additional hangers were added after these photos were taken, because yes the pro press will sag if it’s not properly supported. My preference would have been to sweat this job but this is one of the jobs I was referring to when I posted a few weeks ago about being forced into pressing.

·
Registered
Master Plumber
427 Posts
What size expansion tank? Where'd you put it? How's the high horizontal stuff suspended? Are those tees going to rotate/does propress sag over time?
The expansion tank is an existing B&G PTA-125V with a 60gal volume and a 40gal acceptance volume. The exp tank is tied in on the other side of the boiler room at the cold feed with the existing shell and tube heat exchangers. The horizontal piping is supported at the tanks on a unistrut rack and downstream with 5” clevis hangers to allow for 1” pipe insulation. Additional hangers were added after these photos were taken, because yes the pro press will sag if it’s not properly supported. My preference would have been to sweat this job but this is one of the jobs I was referring to when I posted a few weeks ago about being forced into pressing.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
There’s no way to do this because the cold water is fed into the tanks via the reverse return loop on the bottom of the tanks. There’s not a fourth tapping on the tanks for the cold to enter like there would be on an indirect tank.
I understand now, my apologies. At first glance I thought they were indirect tanks, not just storage.

Next time I should focus more before I open my mouth ;)

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
No worries. I probably could have explained it better from the outset.
No, you did good, I should have just looked at the diagram more closely and I would have seen there were only 3 lines, not two.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts