Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Chase Plumber
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think the best solder is?

I used to use dutch boy silver all the time, but they quit making it, well it's supposed to be the new Lennox, but I don't like it.

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
I usually dig out all the lead out of cast remodels and use it:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:
Lead doesn't hurt ya, does it???:laughing:

I happen to get a roll from Wolverine that seems to do fine. I don't know who really makes it. I truly don't think really have a prefference.

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
Chase Plumber
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
the lennox wants to roll off in little pieces, although it's soft solder, and i was sweating 1.5" type L copper, so I should of had hard solder I guess.

I just couldn't have any luck with the lennox. You guys like Oatey safe flo silver?

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
the lennox wants to roll off in little pieces, although it's soft solder, and i was sweating 1.5" type L copper, so I should of had hard solder I guess.

I just couldn't have any luck with the lennox. You guys like Oatey safe flo silver?
That is usually a sign that the pipe is not hot enough to melt the solder and the torch flame is doing the melting of the solder.

If you heat the metals you are joining enough then remove the flame the solder should melt when you touch the pipe with it...:thumbup:

Of course if ya keep blasting at it ya could also overheat as well.

But if you checked it 2 seconds ago and it didn't melt and now it is I'd say your doing goodI

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
You Lie again!

j/k, lol

What's goin on Dunbar?

Just a lot of work up here in Kentucky. Water district raised the water pressure a notch and instantly it sends off a ton of service calls.

It's a rollercoaster of sorts but yesterday was a tough one for me.

How's life down in Kentucky? Keeping busy?

I had a customer wanting me to do work in elizabethtown and didn't know if you did work down there. I was going to send it your way.

Homie don't travel unless large amounts of cash are involved.

·
Chase Plumber
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nah Man, I'm in Eastern Ky. E-town is a pretty good drag away.

I've been doing some work at an apartment complex = concrete demo, tub drain repair.

Got a 4bath house startin monday. 2 w/h's, and gonna be 2, 3" VTR with 4" house drain. I'll probably be there awhile with my helper, haha.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
I'll tell ya...
I use whatever they have when I need another spool or 2...
It really makes no difference to me...
I know how to use it...:laughing:

Same here, it don't matter to me, as long as it is 95/5.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Nah Man, I'm in Eastern Ky. E-town is a pretty good drag away.

I've been doing some work at an apartment complex = concrete demo, tub drain repair.

Got a 4bath house startin monday. 2 w/h's, and gonna be 2, 3" VTR with 4" house drain. I'll probably be there awhile with my helper, haha.

Hey' you're lucky. I get people calling every week looking for work.

I tell them to drop the resume in the mail and it never shows up.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
What do you guys think the best solder is?

I used to use dutch boy silver all the time, but they quit making it, well it's supposed to be the new Lennox, but I don't like it.

We've been using the top end Lennox for a bit now with no problems. We were using Bridgit before.

·
Illinois Licensed Plumber
4,253 Posts
I use whatever I get. The main thing is to mechanically clean the pipe and fittings. I have 50/50 that I use on copper dwv. It takes a while to get used to it. It really flows into the joints.
Don't let any of the state or local inspectors read that. Illinois dosnt even want 50/50 on dwv.

Section 890.320 Types of Joints

d) Soldered Joints. The surface to be soldered shall be cleaned bright. The joints shall be properly fluxed (lead free) and made with approved lead free solder conforming to ASTM Standard B32-1989. Joints in copper water tubing shall be made with approved cast bronze or wrought copper pressure fittings, properly soldered together. All solders or flux containing more than 0.2% lead shall bear a warning label which states that the solder or flux is not approved for private or potable water use as required by Section 4 of the federal Hazardous Substances Act (15 USC 1263). Use of this product in the making of joints or fittings in any private or public potable water system is prohibited. No part of a DWV (drain, waste and vent) system shall be joined or fitted with a solder or flux containing more than 0.2% lead.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts