Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
You mean you get sunny weather over in England?

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Truth betold they are all pretty much the same. Efficiencies are pretty close for all the major manufacturers. Find a panel that is locally available and has a decent warranty.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have just started getting into solar heating, it's very interesting. Two types I am starting to deal with is flat panel and vacuum panel. vacuum panel is way better because outside temp. doesn't effect it as much because there is no air to transfer heat. flat panel is almost ineffective below freezing temp. Viessman offers the vacuum and is obviously more money, I think about 3-4 times more. check www.enerworks.com I am taking a class from them in a month so I can get certified and they offer flat panels.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
I think you mean evacuated tube. Trade Qualified, what do you mean "best"? If you use terminology like "best" that means you shouldn't be selling and installing solar. There are many factors. BTU density, wind loads, cost per btu, ambient temp. loss, stagnation temp., certification, etc etc.

What specifically are you trying to do with these panels? heat a pool? Domestic water heating? space heating? Commercial? Residential? What are the seasonal temps where your at? Average annual solar insolation?

All of those play a role in panel selection as well as other factors.

To paraphrase what you are saying: What's the best mode of transportation? EXTREAMLY broad question.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Apricus makes a good vacuum tube.

Chromagen makes a good flat plate.

Not much difference in polymer low temperature pool panels, I don't have a preference. Just don't use Fafco. I've seen way too many of there panels leak:no:.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
The problem with evacuated tube panels is are they don't shed snow and the cost vs efficiency ratio is not particularly good. Viessmann makes some very good stuff indeed though and is our main supplier along with Caleffi.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"If you use terminology like "best" that means you shouldn't be selling and installing solar."

No need to get mad it was just a question and I'm sorry for using the term best, when I mean best is in general considering all the technical specs, BTU density, wind loads, cost per btu, ambient temp. loss, stagnation temp., certification, etc etc.

How do I find this out?
Average annual solar insolation?

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Here ya go.
http://www.apricus.com/html/insolation_levels_europe.htm

"If you use terminology like "best" that means you shouldn't be selling and installing solar."

No need to get mad it was just a question and I'm sorry for using the term best, when I mean best is in general considering all the technical specs, BTU density, wind loads, cost per btu, ambient temp. loss, stagnation temp., certification, etc etc.

How do I find this out?
Average annual solar insolation?[/quote]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts