Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
We are currently looking into the Rheem solpak systems for Solar Water heaters, they have been installed by the Electric Company through local plumbing contractors in my area. We have contacted Rheem, their rep service and the local building agencies about the requirements and codes concerning them. The one issue I really see is the liability for attaching the solar panels to the roof. Quite a liability issue involved. We have looked over the manuals for the units but they really don't explain very much on them. I was wondering if anyone had more information they would like to divulge and help out.

Thanks for any input.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
305 Posts
I use a 2x6 nailed between trusses. Drill your hole through the mounting bracket and the 2x6. Use a stainless steel bolt with a fender washer underneath sticking up from the roof. Fasten your bracket with a stainless lock nut. Don't forget to shoot some pookey under the bracket and around the bolt. Cover the nut with pookey when tight. Bigger lumber between the trusses is even easier for those who can't measure well.:laughing:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol, nice! I'll stock up on some bigger lumber! :laughing:

Your routine looks the same as what the Rheem Manual is eluding to. What if you don't have attic access or can't get to the underside of the roof? Toggle bolts?

Thanks for the help!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
305 Posts
On flat roofs that get foamed we will glue and lag longer pieces of lumber down berore foam and lag the brackets down to that.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the help there, I really appreciate it. Most of the residential homes in this area are tile roofs so I don't think it would be too much of an issue.

Thank you for the input!:thumbup:

·
Super Moderator
12,486 Posts
Hello,
We are currently looking into the Rheem solpak systems for Solar Water heaters, they have been installed by the Electric Company through local plumbing contractors in my area. We have contacted Rheem, their rep service and the local building agencies about the requirements and codes concerning them. The one issue I really see is the liability for attaching the solar panels to the roof. Quite a liability issue involved. We have looked over the manuals for the units but they really don't explain very much on them. I was wondering if anyone had more information they would like to divulge and help out.

Thanks for any input.:thumbsup:

I would inquire first if you are even allowed by state licensing laws to attach panels to roof. Perhaps a plumbing license doesn't qualify......May have to have a roofing contractor's license. Just trying to help. Maybe you live in an area where it doesn't rain much (you're in Nevada, right?) but I sure don't want anyone calling me later complaining about a roof leak.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts