Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

Will it work?

• Yes, it will add value

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Yes, but it won't save any more electricty.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No, explosion immanent

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been considering a solar/desuperheater water heater hybrid for some time now.

Some points to consider:

-Adding a desuperheater to a solar setup adds little cost.
-Solar tanks are already an optimal setup for desuperheaters.
-Cheap way to "boost solar fraction". (Not really, but the effect is the same)

The only addition materials needed for the proposed upgrade are:

-extra differential controller
-2 extra thermisters
-extra thermister circuit
-extra heating circuit(1/2 id soft copper w/ armacell)
-extra motorized zone valve
-contactor
-2 transformers

Check the grotesque diagrams:whistling2:

Poll: Will it work?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Solar is a world I know little about, in fact if I had a question I would probably ask you.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The idea is that you want to reduce the need for electric resistance elements since they are the most costly to run. Getting heat from the desuperheater can be free(assuming it was already running and in cooling mode) or 1/3 to 1/2 the cost if in heating mode. When the air conditioner is in cooling mode, you are recovering waste heat that was going to be rejected to the outside air and using that heat for your water heater. when the air conditioner is in "heat pump mode"(assuming the one in question has this feature) your are putting a parasitic drain on the system by stealing some of the heat it generates, but the heat pump makes heat at a far lower cost than the water heaters elements do. If the circulation and heat pump controls are made smart enough, the electric element can become obsolete except in the case of a failure on the solar or heat pump circuits.:tongue_smilie:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts