Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
So they put Ashton Kutcher's face book as an example of the power of the media? He's a friggin idiot and millions of people are following his every word. And you wonder why nations economies are going down the toilet. You wonder about the mentalaty that elected Obama and Pelosi and the rest of that gang of crooks in the whitehouse. It just might be because we are all so caught up in this mindless nonsense that no one has any time left to actually do any damn work anymore. The next generation will not have the knowledge to wipe their own asses at the rate things are going. Is there an app for that?

·
Trust me. I'm a doctor.
934 Posts
That was very intereting Dunbar. Quite a bit of the statistics were mindblowing. The world seems to be changing faster than I can keep up with it. I wonder what we will all be talking about when we discuss advertising in another 10 years. I don't think it will be yellowpages and direct mail pieces.

Evolve or die. The only constant is change.

·
Former Moderator
9,817 Posts
That was very intereting Dunbar. Quite a bit of the statistics were mindblowing. The world seems to be changing faster than I can keep up with it. I wonder what we will all be talking about when we discuss advertising in another 10 years. I don't think it will be yellowpages and direct mail pieces.

Evolve or die. The only constant is change.
I agree Pipedoc - but will the pendulum swing the other way? No way would I want constant updates on my cell phone or computer. For the most part, I am sick of technology. E-mail slows things down IMHO. A phone call gets a lot more accomplished in a shorter time.

That said, we will be exploring these other options. What we will save in advertising in the yellow pages will be spent hiring someone full time to monitor our reputation online.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Remember that history always repeats itself but that doesn't always work for everything.

Even though the majority don't like these utilities, they are such a great way to pin product awareness to the masses.

Besides...I met a smoking hot blonde on facebook and we're getting married tomorrow night. Na-na-n-na-na!!!

:blink:

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So they put Ashton Kutcher's face book as an example of the power of the media? He's a friggin idiot and millions of people are following his every word. And you wonder why nations economies are going down the toilet. You wonder about the mentalaty that elected Obama and Pelosi and the rest of that gang of crooks in the whitehouse. It just might be because we are all so caught up in this mindless nonsense that no one has any time left to actually do any damn work anymore. The next generation will not have the knowledge to wipe their own asses at the rate things are going. Is there an app for that?

But he's having sex with Demi Moore. That means something in the big picture.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm here, does that count? :blink:

Yep! You're part of the network!

Just remember that only a very small fraction of plumbers participate in online discussions about plumbing.

The rest don't

1. Have a computer
2. Know how to get to these forums
3. Start to head here, get sidetracked by PRON!
4. Can't type
5. Get frustrated trying to get to the point where they can type a response
6. Fill in the blank

With that being said, we as plumbers become the voice, the opinion of many products abound and that carries clout for the most part. That video addresses that logic clearly.

Only 14% trust advertising online? What does that tell you? You have to be where you see and hear about your product, the good AND the bad. What better place than the testing ground of millions, all together, in one place.

Don't think for a minute that plumbing forums are the "gotta have" place to go for the average consumer...it isn't.

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
I agree Pipedoc - but will the pendulum swing the other way? No way would I want constant updates on my cell phone or computer. For the most part, I am sick of technology. E-mail slows things down IMHO. A phone call gets a lot more accomplished in a shorter time.

That said, we will be exploring these other options. What we will save in advertising in the yellow pages will be spent hiring someone full time to monitor our reputation online.
Normally this doesnt happen, but I have to disagree with you Plumb on the phone call thing. I get the majority of my calls from regular clients and property management companies VIA email. They email me, I send a short reply back that I got it. All this is done from my Blackberry. I HATE talking on the phone, Im usually driving or working, or have too much other stuff going on. I find that the emails take alot of the uneeded banter out of the conversations.
Ill take a text, email, mms, over a phone call request. It really is a time saver. Call me, let me stop what im doing, and write down your request, hope I spell the street name right, and write that phone number down right, "was that a 9 or a 5?"
Get my point? IM all for the social media movement. Guess its a part of my generation.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
:laughing:

:laughing::laughing:lmao:laughing:lmao:laughing:lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

·
residential service
1,948 Posts

Nor will they have knowledge to install or repair their own plumbing ;). We're not out of business yet.

·
Lego Expert
4,570 Posts
Normally this doesnt happen, but I have to disagree with you Plumb on the phone call thing. I get the majority of my calls from regular clients and property management companies VIA email. They email me, I send a short reply back that I got it. All this is done from my Blackberry. I HATE talking on the phone, Im usually driving or working, or have too much other stuff going on. I find that the emails take alot of the uneeded banter out of the conversations.
Ill take a text, email, mms, over a phone call request. It really is a time saver. Call me, let me stop what im doing, and write down your request, hope I spell the street name right, and write that phone number down right, "was that a 9 or a 5?"
Get my point? IM all for the social media movement. Guess its a part of my generation.:thumbsup:

same here, just send me a email , might have something to do with me being born in the 80's

STRANGE this is my 666 post,,, and its Halloween:devil2:

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
Nor will they have knowledge to install or repair their own plumbing ;). We're not out of business yet.
This is true. I actually believe the Diy generation will fade out, and the demand for skilled tradespeople will increase in the coming generations. Most of this will be to blame on plain old laziness. If you can't do it on your Iphone or computer, they just won't do it, and it will get worse... My .02

·
residential service
1,948 Posts

When you can reach the party your after, a single round of phone tag erases any time savings on the phone. I even see a difference in something as simple as direct connect radio and cell phone. Hit the button, set the radio down and go back to working until they answer. No waiting for 3-6 rings for someone to pick up, no one does so then you wait to here how you can leave a message by hitting 1 or waiting for the message telling you this to end so that you can get to the beep (neither is faster than the other). I hate long messages on voice mail (giving or receiving) so usually it is simply "hey this is Smells, please give me a call at XXX-XXXX", they always call back just as soon as your about to touch the solder to the joint so then you either let it go to voice mail, which you will have to check and go through your own menu to get to the message, or stop what you are doing and hope you can get your torch turned off and retrieve your phone before they hang up or it gets to voice mail. This is precisely the reason I got someone to finally start answering my phone back in '07. I couldn't get anything done because of the phone but the phone was and is the center of my business, it all starts with a phone call usually. If I call a supply house for pricing on something or if I ask while I'm there I tell them to e-mail it to me, I don't have time to stand around waiting for you to produce what I want. Find out the answer, e-mail it to me, and I will check it later. I can go through a bunch of e-mails in the time it will take me to complete a single phone call.

·
Registered
567 Posts
So agree with RSP, I have found that exactly right re the time to gather info. A Phone call is a must for sure but the new e media is certainly a great tool.

·
Senior Moment
1,904 Posts
I 100% agree with RSP too. I hate talking on the phone. I love texting. I like e-mail. Texting eliminates the small talk, and gives me time to think about how I want to reply, when I have a chance to do so. I admit I'm not always a fast thinker, so when I'm talking live to someone a lot of times I'll either say something I wish I didn't, or not say something I wish I did.

I also agree with Smells and Airgap. There seems to be less and less kids nowadays getting into the trades. Most kids now don't want anything to do with physical labor, they want an office job, they want to develop video games, be a doctor, lawyer, fix computers etc. I really think the future is bright for us tradesmen, and word of mouth travels faster than it ever has.

·
Former Moderator
9,817 Posts
I see your point - but what get's lost in translation? The human connection. Property Managers always want things ASAP and it's always an emergency. When I answer the phone, I can ask questions and determine if it's an emergency. When I get a panicked voice on the other end, I can talk them down. This is not unnecessary banter, it's a human touch. Sure I could text "help is on it's way," but in answering the phone I can say help is on the way, don't panic. Let me dispatch a plumber and I will call you right back with his ETA. - Our plumber will be there in approx. 30 minutes. What you can do in the meantime is turn off the valve feeding the water heater, turn off the breaker to the water heater, if you have a garden hose, hook it up to the drain down valve etc. It will be okay, our plumber will have what he needs to get you out of this mess.

It's easy to fire a company when there is very little human touch. Relationships are built face to face, voice to voice. I've seen it often on PZ where everyone will jump on the OP because the OP's point was missed or misunderstood.

How many people have 100's of 'friends' on Facebook, yet not one friend who is available for a hug? We know tons of people on the internet, yet we don't know our neighbors. Over time, this erosion of connection can be disastrous.

How many people hate voicemail because the system was abused and no one returned calls?
How many people hate automated answering systems because you spend five minutes listening to options that don't apply to you?
How many people hate E-mails because people will insist they didn't get it?

As a company, we will pursue and use technology to our advantage and to the extent our customers require it. However, the human touch cannot be under-estimated. Sometimes 'hand-holding' is the best thing a company can offer a customer. I can't tell you how many times I have had a widow on the phone crying because she has an emergency and her husband use to take care of these things. Yes, this customer needs plumbing service, but at that moment that I answer the phone what she needs even more is a caring voice assuring her everything will be okay. This information is given to the plumber and he knows he will behave a bit more compassionately toward this customer. I might even send one of our 'older' plumbers because I know he will best know how to deal with her. If everything was handled via E-mail, her most important need would not have been met.

Technology has it's place. But don't be so eager to embrace it at the expense of the 'human experience.'

We are all human beings with feelings and emotions - that get's lost in the words that come across your Blackberries and/or computer screens.

I've been slammed enough to know that those doing the slamming would NEVER say to my face the things they wrote so easily. They would see that they have gone too far and crossed a boundary.

But hey, this is the internet. We don't see tears, red faces, shame, hurt feelings etc. After all, it's only PlumbCrazy . . . but I am a real live human being. I'm not PC, Plumbcrazy . . . I am a person!

Once you have lost that sensitivity - it is the beginning of the end IMHO.

·
Trust me. I'm a doctor.
934 Posts
Amen! Good post Plumbcrazy

Reactions: Phat Cat
1 - 20 of 40 Posts