Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Chase Plumber
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked the prison showers out today.

3 showers, one big tempering valve going to each pneumatic type metering valve. . one push button at each shower.

the shower nearest to the tempering valve (which is located in a hallway, concealed in a stainless box) has kinda decent pressure, not up to par and the furthest shower away has terrible pressure. . I think there's a 1" copper pipe feeding the showers.

I took the 1/2" stainless braided "easy hooker" off of the pneumatic metering valve and held it out perfectly horizontal in the shower pan and turned the water on. It sprayed maybe about 12-16" from the easy hooker before falling straight down. It looked to me like with that much pressure, I should of had more pressure coming out of the head. I screwed the shower head out of it's housing and it still had barely enough water to run off of the housing instead of running back down the housing into the wall and running down the wall.

Does anyone got any idea to what's up? I'm thinking about splitting the pneumatic metering valve, or the tempering valve.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Clogged strainers somewhere in the water supplyto the showers or tempering valve?

Pneumatic valve not fully opening?

·
Registered
344 Posts
That could be, or it might be that the spool in the tempering valve (check it closely.. might be pressure balancing as well) is clogged. Check for build up of scale.

This is what I was referring to in the other post. Institutions and commercial run water heaters at a much higher temperature and this precipitates calcium out of the water, causing scale. If you have any pressure balancing into that tempering valve, then check that. If not, then suspect the tempering valve not passing or receiving enough water and go from there.

Half inch line, full port open to atmosphere at 25 psi should go 3-4 feet before hitting the ground. If you're only getting 12-18 inches, there is a flow restriction someplace.

·
Chase Plumber
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That temperature control box is an Acorn 1752, if anyone has some literature on it or could help me out.

·
Master Plumber
76 Posts
It sounds kinda of like the same situtation when a multi function vale is installed is a residential shower and a pressure balance loop was not installed between all the body spray heads.

·
Chase Plumber
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, I think I'm going to purchase one of these http://www.kingssupply.com/item224.htm and replace the acorn valve.

This one is anti-scald proof and adjustable from 80-120 degrees.

It says it's recommended for commercial and campground showers.

Just hope there's enough room to put a swing check on each side, then 90 up to the 1/2" copper. Gonna use all sweat fittings so hopefully it will work.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
I seen that on the counter at my supply house.

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
You didn't send an email to Acorn?

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Make sure you get one that is ASSE listed for anti-scald. I think it might be 1016??
There are tempering valves out there that are not listed.:thumbsup:

Very important to cover your ass

1 - 16 of 16 Posts