Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of boots/shoes do you wear?
I used to buy a new pair of Timberland boots every six months or so from sears. Last time I decided to try something new and bought a pair of Red Wings from a store that only sells Red Wing boots. As soon as I tried them on I could feel the difference, much more comfortable then what I had been using. The salesmen were actually helpful and knew about the different boots. They also had every size in every boot in regular, wide, extra wide, etc. You can also bring them in for cleaning, conditioning, and new laces at no charge for the life of the boot. It cost me $185 out the door for a pair of boots but I'm never going back to the cheap ones again.
Seven months later the soles are starting to show some wear as is the leather up by the steal toe. They still have plenty of life left before they look ragity. They can also be re-soled for $77 if you wear the soles out before the leather.

This is what I have now.
http://www.redwingshoes.com/productdetails.aspx?prodid=1151

Thinking of picking these up for the cold months.
http://www.redwingshoes.com/productdetails.aspx?prodid=1198

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Wearing some REAL comfortable , lightweight wolverine workboots from Dick's sporting goods .

Got to be the most comfy boots in all my time !

$ 80

Cal

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
I wore out my last pair of Timberlands a long time ago.
I had about 3 pairs in a row fall apart long before I figured they should have.

I wear a pair of these that is a couple of years old...
http://www.chippewaboots.com/boots/searchdefault.asp?id=26330
Pretty damn comfortable if you ask me...:thumbup:

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Been wearing redwings my entire life. No one can build a size 17.

The soles take a long time to wear down, and with me being 377 pounds *farts* 376 pounds I'd say they've done quite a good job.

I always wear the steel toe, too dangerous not too. I'm jealous of everyone being able to find boots....but with my big feet, it goes with the territory.

Also, if you're not aware of it,

Redwing will give you new shoe strings for your boots, for life at no cost.

Mink oil is the way to go to keep them in good shape as well.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Worn most all of them out there. Been wearing RedWing model 953 with RedWing inserts for years. Almost no tread so there great if you go in alot of houses. Last longer than all others I've had. (Wolverine, Rocky, Timberland, Hermans, Gorillas etc. and yes, I once had a pair called Gorillas).

RedWing like alot of companies has production everywhere but alot of their boots are still made in Minnesota. Another reason to use them.

J.C.

P.S. I am a cheapazz and they ARE worth it.

·
Banned
383 Posts
i got turned on to iron age boots about 17 years ago. they were great. they would last about two years under hard conditions. my two year renewal was due and come to find out they went chapter 11. now im hard pressed to find a tough pair of steel toed boots. thier website under knapp shoes says to keep trying the site but i ain't seen :censored::furious:.

·
Banned
383 Posts
Been wearing redwings my entire life. No one can build a size 17.

The soles take a long time to wear down, and with me being 377 pounds *farts* 376 pounds I'd say they've done quite a good job.

I always wear the steel toe, too dangerous not too. I'm jealous of everyone being able to find boots....but with my big feet, it goes with the territory.

Also, if you're not aware of it,

Redwing will give you new shoe strings for your boots, for life at no cost.

Mink oil is the way to go to keep them in good shape as well.
size 17 boot, dunbar. do you have to special order your drawers.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
size 17 boot, dunbar. do you have to special order your drawers.

Well, you bring up a valid point because lately I'm having trouble finding underwear that fits. I'm having trouble with the legs being too tight.

The middle leg has been shrinking for years so no problem there! :laughing:

Oh damn, there's women on this site. It's huge!

·
Muck me?
700 Posts
I wear timberlins when the cg's push boots. but if im doing finish i'll wear my sketcher hiking boots.

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
I wear Vans! I have Red Wings but only use them on muddy or "under construction" jobs

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
redwing steel toes. before that i had a very comfortable pair of doc martin steel toes but they blew out in less than a year. i think i'm going to stay with the redwings for now.

paul

1 - 20 of 29 Posts