Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

So how much they paying guys to go to Texas???

5K views 45 replies 14 participants last post by  Logtec 
#1 ·
With close to a million+ homes froze up in Texas I have heard they are
paying high prices for plumbers to re-locate down there to help repair this disaster....

if I were a lowly apprentice in my teens or early 20s living in Indiana working for peanuts,
and they needed grunts to come down there for really big money---it might interest me..

Has anyone heard what companies are paying for plumbers to assist them ??

#2 ·
Probably be a pretty sweet job when spring comes, plenty of sunshine. The question is, how any apprentices to a journeyman does texas law allow?

How many of these guys will be thrown in a van on their own without the proper licenses? Then a year from now when there are failures, and there will be at least some, the court cases will be interesting.

#3 ·
I honestly dont think they give a damn at this point...
lots of corners are gonna have to be cut and
lots of sharkbites are probably going get used to get all those pex
homes back up and running again///

#6 ·
I always wonder how they make out with rebuilding after big natural distasters. I hear of big projects being held up here because of lack of trades manpower in normal circumstances. How the hell do they do it when rebuilding from the California wildfires? Shouldn't they be begging for guys to go to Puerto Rico? Why do I never hear about offers like that? We can drive in any state with a license from 1. Why wouldn't they at least make temporary approval for a licensee from any state to go to one of these disaster areas and work to help rebuild?

#13 ·
Why wouldn't they at least make temporary approval for a licensee from any state to go to one of these disaster areas and work to help rebuild?
It will involve WORK to organize and make it happen. The government prefers to express a fake sincerity instead.
Returning to the topic, Texas would not turn into plumbing Klondike in my opinion.
Has anyone heard what companies are paying for plumbers to assist them ??
I doubt somebody will mass relocate people from other states.

#16 ·
I know someone in town that is looking into this whole thing and we talked for a while tonight....
He has relatives in houston and can stay with them so he was thinking of driving down his truck
and equipment to see what transpires.... He has a buddy taking down some generators in a truck
who will be there before he arrives....
I told him he would probably be wiser to fly down first with his basic tools along with him and
check out the whole landscape first before taking his truck down and getting it stolen by mexicans..
.. 😄 :ROFLMAO: 😆

We talked about issues like how much people will be willing to pay
and how long he was willing to let his business here in town sit idle...

I don think that they could pay me enough.

#19 ·
so the people of texas have no clue what a main water valve is to shut the house water off?????..and what about a generator for the home??? I bet they all have 75 inch tvs..but no one wants to prep for emergencies untill its too late..then everyone cries about it...and guess what..after this freeze..ill bet 95% dont change one dam thing and it will happen again..and they will cry about it again...
the whole east coast got slammed by super storm sandy and there was no electric in areas for weeks, supermarkets ,stores and homes were under water, so it wasnt even if electric came back on you would have a place to shop or live and we survived..and it was winter time too..freezing temps ontop of being flooded out...I dont recall much if any help from texas....???

#22 ·
so the people of texas have no clue what a main water valve is to shut the house water off?????..and what about a generator for the home??? I bet they all have 75 inch tvs..but no one wants to prep for emergencies untill its too late..then everyone cries about it...and guess what..after this freeze..ill bet 95% dont change one dam thing and it will happen again..and they will cry about it again...
the whole east coast got slammed by super storm sandy and there was no electric in areas for weeks, supermarkets ,stores and homes were under water, so it wasnt even if electric came back on you would have a place to shop or live and we survived..and it was winter time too..freezing temps ontop of being flooded out...I dont recall much if any help from texas....???
I'm not sure which of Dorothy's companions you remind me of, the one without a heart

or the one without a brain

#33 ·
We're really at the point where we need material more than manpower, at least where I'm at. Exterior tankless water heaters burst by the dozens when the power got cut, and we're not sure when the next shipment will arrive. Copper, CPVC, and 1/2-1" PVC fittings and insulation are hard to come by as well.

It's also mildly irritating hearing my northern compatriots go on about how none of this would have happened if we used their code instead of ours.

#35 ·

It might be wise to move the tankless inside if possible but you live in a place similar to florida..
I guess you just throw them back in and hope that this weather pattern goes away and does not
happen again for another 70years.....
No one is gonna go nuts and insulate their pipes and homes better over a freak snowstorm...

what else can you do??

#40 ·
Wild plumbing in the deep south where the only frost line is usually in the freezer. Ever see a water softener OUTSIDE? PLUMBED IN WITH PVC? I did yesterday. Didn’t take pictures. Per homeowner request didn’t hook it back up. Then i fixed 3 popped copper lines inside. My co worker replaced a tankless heater that was outside and froze solid. I think it’s hilarious that people insist that insulating the exterior lines does a lick of good. Did this one today it was at a warehouse downtown.

Attachments

#41 · (Edited)
I have people wanting to reno bathrooms and put the water lines in the exterior wall and argue it won't freeze if they are insulated. haha, good luck when you need to replace the valve too by demolishing the tile wall!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.