Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bad odor condition at a reputable grocery and meat market( and their meat is good). Its an old been added to building so can't camera much. I found 2 hub drains catching the coolers not trapped and changed it and it helps but not 100% blah blah blah. I used 6 candles and blew it in and realized it wasnt such a thorough attempt at a smoke test.
1. Is the smoke test the best option.
2. Link to the prescribed method ( even inviting the guys from Illinois and Chcgo. to chime in because they are vocal about the "rightest way" ( I can talk southern)(have to take a shot at the native land once and a while)
3. A machine option that won't set me back too much---
And I'll be beholdin" for the hep.

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
Have a look see at this link.
http://www.superiorsignal.com/sewerpdf.pdf
Seal up the sewer line all the vents except the one you are feeeding the machine into and pressurize the dwv system...
what you see is what you got...

·
Registered
396 Posts
pepermint oil before smoke, I've used cinimon "BIG RED" oil, pepermint oil and once clove oil and each time was able to determine the problem before going to smoke.
local phamacy ought to have something.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well if that can give me a once and for all result Ill go for it. Weve jetted out drains disconnected,reconnected grease trap, capped off a floor drain, reinstalled and set them back a bit. 4 other plumbers have tried this before ( not saying much) so I want to look good as soon as possible.

While I was writing a reply to smoke bombs I got your other responses ---thanks , I wanted to reply clearly--now Ill read the links

·
Registered
396 Posts
hows that work! you cant see smell.
nope but your nose will lead the way so far everytime. just drop it down the vent during a slow time and go inside it will smell stronger the closer you get to it.

local BBQ, was a McDonalds. remodeled 2" vent just cut off at floor and buried in the serving counter and when the wind blew just right Darn if anybody could stay inside. they where still doing business I couldn't see anything so dropped a viel of BIG RED oil and got a good idea of where, so opened the wall then the plate and voila open 2" cut off at the floor. done.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dave -you sold me. Sounds easy enough for a starter. If it dont work I wont blame anybody except myself for trying it--kidding. Thanks .

·
Registered
396 Posts
Hey Dave...what's the status of the bk? Is he gonna renew his license or what? It expires on 5/15/09.
So Far he's heading in the right direction just buying time. All licenses are still active and will be per Bill. no sign he's giving up. he'll submit his plan on day 179 of the 180 required to submit a reorg plan. But Darn work is slowing down even more.

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
I'm sure you have already searched for any dry traps but have you searched the overhead for any type of water heater. I have found smells in restaraunts before that had a small overhead water heater that only served the restrooms. The relief line from the wh was piped to a 3" trap that had a failed trap primer and was not being primed. The result of course was a dry trap which stank the whole place up. A lot of times in a grocery store the restrooms are located pretty close to the meat section.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Like PLUMBERDAVE said pepermint oil works great but it"s a good idea to have help with you to pour in the peppermint. If you get that stuff on you you can't follow the smell its everywhere. I always have the guy that pours it in stay outside. Good luck smells are tough.

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
So Far he's heading in the right direction just buying time. All licenses are still active and will be per Bill. no sign he's giving up. he'll submit his plan on day 179 of the 180 required to submit a reorg plan. But Darn work is slowing down even more.
We live in a small state with smaller minds, so any p.r. missstep is harmful. I cannot imagine what its like there for youse guys.

In my county with my rep, I'm constantly struggling to keep a good p.r. rep, but its a losing battle. :laughing:

BK is bad for business. Verizon yellow pages is in BK 11 and I didn't renew because I don't trust them to put out a decent book. See?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Smoke is a last resort for me. when i have to do it I use a leaf blower and hold the smoke bomb by the air intake and blow it down the roof stack. Don't run the machine too fast or you will blow water out of the toilets and traps.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I built the machine on the upfrontprice link and it works great. Just hook it to the cleanout light you superior smokebomb and plug it in. The three minutes goes quick and it is easier to see the smoke in the dark with a flashlight.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the great tips and advise --I'll try thy oil and build one of those budget smoke machines ( just what I was looking for ).

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is that Crawford supply in Mokena- my dad worked there years ago and I knew Jerry Crawford the original before they sold to Pfeiger brothers. Thats 40+ years ago. In fact I worked a summer there. Anyway I used some smoke candles and a wet vac and didnt do very well --inasmuch no results of smoke but I got smell.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts