Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone see the article in PM Magazine about C*ls Plumbing?

Basically a plumber decided that he had seen enough of DIY'ers mess things up and wanted to capitalize on it. So, he started making how to videos for consumers. The videos can be purchased (and perhaps be downloaded through his website) for approximateld $11.95. Most videos are only a few minutes long. He also offers a number that you can call if you need 'live' assistance. The article mentioned he frequently visits forums, however, he neglected to name any particular forums. ;) His goal is to one day be able to just do what I described vs. going out and actually doing the work.

My answer - BOTH! He's smart for seeing an opportunity and meeting a need. He's a sell out because eventually someone will post his 'videos for free' (just like music) or copycats will mimic his business model and flood the market with 'how to videos' which will drive his prices down. He will then have no income or product to push. Hope he makes enough money before it bites him in the a$$.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Thats a two way thing.
He is smart enough to figure out how to make a buck, but my opinion is that he sold out. As you said, others will post the videos on the internet. Not only that but as we all know, every base can not be covered by video. Every toilet replacement job is not quite the same. And it takes experience to figure out how to handle a problem when it arises. Also its probably no different than going to Home Crepo and watching those class on how to do it yourself.

IMO, he sucks.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
THE VIDEOS ARE NO DIFFERENT THAN A HO READING A BOOK AND SCREWING IT UP AND THEN CALLING YOU TO FIX IT. I love it when the HO whines about your price saying, " can you give me a break, I've already got so much $ invested in this already".:cry:

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
I had a lady ask me today after the job was complete and she was standing there ready to write the check, "can't you give me some kind of discount"? Before I even had a chance to think I blurted out "Ma'am, if I was over charging you to begin with I could but since I'm not I can't. Your total is $158."

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a similar idea however choose not to follow up on it because it would be unethical and against everything that any licensed plumber have worked for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts