Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
What do you use for 1.25" and 1.5" drains like bathtubs and small sink drains?

drain-gun?

small sectional?

small drum machine?

Post your favorite machine, a short description of why you like it and a picture of it if possible.
Thanks.
I do very little drain cleaning, but my machine of choice is a K-50 from Ridgid. It can spin three different size cables, is relatively light, highly versatile, and easy to use. It is also safer to use than a drum machine.

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
I love my Spartan 81

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
WILLPLUMB4$
584 Posts
1 1/4-2"Use K-50 with 1/2" cable, and a bucket full of heads for the tuff stuff ie. grease, urinary salts, (kitchen sinks) but for tub and shower drains use the "Super V" I guess any drill motor/ basket would work, even have one of those little hand crankers. All depends on what I think the clog is, where it is and what I can get paid for the job. BIG MACHINES = BIG MONEY:)

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am looking specifically for a machine that uses 5/16" cable for small lines and tub drains. I hate hand-held drain-guns (I have one currently), and I am researching other models that are not hand-held.

All my machines are Ridgid and I love them. So far, my research is pointing to the Ridgid K-40 machine.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Thats a sweet looking machine. I run the can-cable (Rigid) just a drain gun. Its alright but I hate when it gets bound up.... some severe backlash. Im with KTS K-50 all the way. If its 4" or above I am bringing out the big dog- K-1500

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats a really nice-looking machine Jerrymac! The K-40 has gotten really poor reviews from most of the plumbers I talk to on the 'net, so I will stay away from it.
I really like that Gorlitz you posted and I've been looking at them too. I'll probably end up getting one, especially if you ( a long-time drain-master) recommend it.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
I am not a fan of drum style machines, and never will be, they are heavier, and therefore harder to take on and off the job, changing the cable size means the time consuming process of removing the drum and installing another one, or pulling the cable out of the drum and replacing it with a different size, which is even more time consuming. That and the fact that there is zero backlash on a sectional machine, you release the clutch and the cable stops spinning, with a drum machine the inertia of the drum allows it to keep going, I had an apprentice get his wrist broken because of that with a large Spartan machine.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I am not a fan of drum style machines, and never will be, they are heavier, and therefore harder to take on and off the job, changing the cable size means the time consuming process of removing the drum and installing another one, or pulling the cable out of the drum and replacing it with a different size, which is even more time consuming. That and the fact that there is zero backlash on a sectional machine, you release the clutch and the cable stops spinning, with a drum machine the inertia of the drum allows it to keep going, I had an apprentice get his wrist broken because of that with a large Spartan machine.
I agree. I wont run a drum machine. K-50 and K-1500. Sectional is a little more work but it pays off when the cable doesnt backlash and sling poo everywhere....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Small drains and prefered machine

It's embarassing of how much mola Iv'e made with the realitively new Ridgid K-39af. (drill gun) To own one is to love one!

·
Plumbing and Gas SCO
1,437 Posts
I've got the General Wire rep coming to see me tomorrow to demo his products. I am moving towards service and thetown here has alot of root issues but nobody wants to pony up for line replacements. Sooooooooo......
I am debating between the speedrooter 91 and the maxi-rooter. Biggest line I expect to see would be 6" and runs averaging about 75-85 feet.

Opinions?

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
I've got the General Wire rep coming to see me tomorrow to demo his products. I am moving towards service and thetown here has alot of root issues but nobody wants to pony up for line replacements. Sooooooooo......
I am debating between the speedrooter 91 and the maxi-rooter. Biggest line I expect to see would be 6" and runs averaging about 75-85 feet.

Opinions?
Ridgid and Spartan are better machines with superior customer support through factory reps and service locations, with General Wire you are on your own to chase down what you need.

·
J. McCabe Plumbing Inc.
409 Posts
I am looking specifically for a machine that uses 5/16" cable for small lines and tub drains. I hate hand-held drain-guns (I have one currently), and I am researching other models that are not hand-held.

All my machines are Ridgid and I love them. So far, my research is pointing to the Ridgid K-40 machine.

SG...We have two of these K-40 machines and they work great for the small trap clearing jobs your referring to. Like any cable machine you need to feed the cable slowly, especially at a point of resistance.

I'd definitely recommend the K-40

1 - 20 of 45 Posts