Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

201 - 220 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
For those who point out, and rightly so, that the code requires copper to copper joints to be brazed below slab, I will point out that they soft-soldered all the joints below slab way back in the day.

And the joints are still holding {the tee is a 3/4"x 3/4"x1/2"}. It was the pipe itself that burst not the joint.
I did one years ago where I located the leak under the slab perfectly on top of it. Busted a hole about a foot square. Broke out the oxygen/acetylene rig and brazed in a new piece. Turned on the water and water was pouring out of my hole from about a foot away. Busted up more of the slab and found a tee someone soft soldered in and I melted the sh!t out of it with brazing so close.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
I did one years ago where I located the leak under the slab perfectly on top of it. Busted a hole about a foot square. Broke out the oxygen/acetylene rig and brazed in a new piece. Turned on the water and water was pouring out of my hole from about a foot away. Busted up more of the slab and found a tee someone soft soldered in and I melted the sh!t out of it with brazing so close.

Well clearly Miss Johnson we have localized chemical corrosion causing multiple leaks....:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
For those who point out, and rightly so, that the code requires copper to copper joints to be brazed below slab, I will point out that they soft-soldered all the joints below slab way back in the day.

And the joints are still holding {the tee is a 3/4"x 3/4"x1/2"}. It was the pipe itself that burst not the joint.
I rarely soldered or brazed underground in the central Florida area because of weakening adjacent piping. One time I made a repair with mueller couplings. I always wait around a bit after repairs to make sure everything is good. About 5am the next morning my boss calls me in a panic saying the house is flooded again and that my repair must have separated.

I was thinking on the way over that there was probably a previous repair down the line that came apart, but when I got there, it turned out to be another pinhole about 6’ away. I could not explain why there were no signs of this leak the day before? I was just happy it wasn’t my leak.

·
Super Moderator
8,725 Posts
I rarely soldered or brazed underground in the central Florida area because of weakening adjacent piping. One time I made a repair with mueller couplings. I always wait around a bit after repairs to make sure everything is good. About 5am the next morning my boss calls me in a panic saying the house is flooded again and that my repair must have separated.

I was thinking on the way over that there was probably a previous repair down the line that came apart, but when I got there, it turned out to be another pinhole about 6’ away. I could not explain why there were no signs of this leak the day before? I was just happy it wasn’t my leak.
When you disturb pipes you loosen the sediments that are blocking the pinhole. Like removing a plug. I see this on occasion when the copper pipe are green pockmarked.

·
Registered
10,466 Posts

my friend had his house raised in long beach city, an area by me, I put a new water main in using K copper, about a good 6ft down, the old main was about 3 ft down and must have frozen a dozen or so times, it was about 100ft from curb to house and about 20 of the mueller couplings and a mix of M and L pipe..what a hack job...

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Burst is a term that gets people's attention....LOL.

Yes, I mean corrosion. Probably the acid flux back in the day or not reaming pipe or soil acidity?

Yes Tango, slab leaks are profitable jobs.
Our city pressure is running at about 50 psi.
Tommy,what would you charge total for a job like this???

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
I do quite a few slab leaks, but I sub out locates for the most part. I have a $5,000 dollar Metrotech but I'm not the best at locating. Sub contractors charge around $350 for locate, I charge usually 1000-2500 to bust out floor make repair and put concrete back.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Tommy,what would you charge total for a job like this???

That's classified information, if he told you he'd have to bill you.

·
Super Moderator
12,486 Posts
I do quite a few slab leaks, but I sub out locates for the most part. I have a $5,000 dollar Metrotech but I'm not the best at locating. Sub contractors charge around $350 for locate, I charge usually 1000-2500 to bust out floor make repair and put concrete back.

There's a video made by General Wire showing how to do leak detection. When I was getting ready to buy my elec. leak detection equipment, I was looking at General's Gen-Ear. But when I saw a video of a Washington state plumber using Sub-Surface equipment, I bought the Sub-Surface instead.

Anyway, in the video by General, they show how to use their equipment. But the formula is the same no matter what equipment is used.

On my first couple of leak detections, I was way, way off....:crying:

Alex {Garalaxy here on PZ} lives not too far from me. I called him saying, "Alex, HELP!!" And he drove to me on one and trained me, and also did the locate for me. Thanks again Alex. I really appreciate the help brother.

When I first got the equipment, I had not seen the General Pipe video, so I was shooting in the dark. But after being shown how to use the equipment properly, now it's not a big deal.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
There's a video made by General Wire showing how to do leak detection. When I was getting ready to buy my elec. leak detection equipment, I was looking at General's Gen-Ear. But when I saw a video of a Washington state plumber using Sub-Surface equipment, I bought the Sub-Surface instead.

Anyway, in the video by General, they show how to use their equipment. But the formula is the same no matter what equipment is used.

Alex {Garalaxy here on PZ} lives not too far from me. I called him saying, "Alex, HELP!!" And he drove to me on one and trained me, and also did the locate for me. Thanks again Alex. I really appreciate the help brother.

When I first got the equipment, I had not seen the General Pipe video, so I was shooting in the dark. But after being shown how to use the equipment properly, now it's not a big deal.
So it actually works???my leak detection equipment is a pointed probe that I stick down in the ground till I find water

·
Super Moderator
1,846 Posts
I have some one in the Dallas, TEXAS area that has had his third or forth
slab leak looking for a PLUMBER to do a total repipe of his house
PM me and I will give you the contact Information :biggrin:

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
Tango is your man,hop on a plane and get some sunshine tango:devil3:
I think if he ever got a taste of the good life here in the USA he would NEVER go back to canada....to have to live it here and not just visit a short time or read about it to really get the feeling...
and you would easily double or triple your income and then some...

·
Registered
3,351 Posts

I'll have to check it out. My issue is my hearing ain't the best. The company that makes my unit sells a Gas Tracer, but never bought one. Suppose to locate leak by smelling the gas.

·
Super Moderator
1,846 Posts
I'll have to check it out. My issue is my hearing ain't the best. The company that makes my unit sells a Gas Tracer, but never bought one. Suppose to locate leak by smelling the gas.
Will
that was the same problem that I had with doing locates, for a while I had
my brother working as my Apprentice, so I showed him how it works
and never missed a locate :biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
8,725 Posts
Tango is your man,hop on a plane and get some sunshine tango:devil3:
I think if he ever got a taste of the good life here in the USA he would NEVER go back to canada....to have to live it here and not just visit a short time or read about it to really get the feeling...
and you would easily double or triple your income and then some...
Yes! I've been wanting a Lamborghini for a while...:biggrin:

Seriously it looks awesome, the exhaust sound is orgasmic but the deal breaker are horrendously priced parts.

Oops I'm derailing Tommy. What the heck here's a pic.

Back on topic, those slab leaks blows my 1 hour service calls way out of the water.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
Yes! I've been wanting a Lamborghini for a while...:biggrin:

Seriously it looks awesome, the exhaust sound is orgasmic but the deal breaker are horrendously priced parts.

Oops I'm derailing Tommy. What the heck here's a pic.

Back on topic, those slab leaks blows my 1 hour service calls way out of the water.

honestly that car does nothing for me..I wouldnt buy it for any price...just not my style...just like I would never buy a rolex watch..my casio g shock works great..that show off expensive stuff doesnt cut it with me, I think im more utilitarian...

201 - 220 of 222 Posts