Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always used geo phones and air to find slab leaks, But know i own a company and was able to buy the goldak locator and 33oo transmitter for locating these lines out and the 777a leak mic does any one know where i can get so me advice on locating and working this stuff I just am not used to it?:eek:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Water leak detection under slab

Well, the good news is that many people are able to use the equipment you bought and find lots of leaks. The bad news is that is leak detection were that easy, leak detection companies would be out of business. Perfect practice, of course, makes perfect. Listen carefully, and Good Luck. We are a leak detection company in Indiana, and have worked with a number of plumbers who have bouth their own equipment only to continue calling. In fact, I just had a plumber give me some of his equipment after he could not get it to work for him, and his quote was, "Here, maybe you can get this s**t to work." Luckily, I can. Check us out

·
Registered
13 Posts
Lousy leak detection equipment

Yeah, well the stuff he bought was lousy, but it works if you're careful enough with it. I would almost rather use witching sticks. Just Kidding (No, but seriously...) Do many of the plumbers in here have a lot of trouble with leak detection? I post and advise and blog telling people that leak detection companies will get them usually within a few inches and should always be within a foot. Is this the exception rather than the rule? What experience do you have with leak deteciton companies? Do they often miss? Come back out if they do? Refund money if they are off? I am in fact one of them, and have been reading horror stories in here. Thanks,

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Yeah, well the stuff he bought was lousy, but it works if you're careful enough with it. I would almost rather use witching sticks. Just Kidding (No, but seriously...) Do many of the plumbers in here have a lot of trouble with leak detection? I post and advise and blog telling people that leak detection companies will get them usually within a few inches and should always be within a foot. Is this the exception rather than the rule? What experience do you have with leak deteciton companies? Do they often miss? Come back out if they do? Refund money if they are off? I am in fact one of them, and have been reading horror stories in here. Thanks,

Are you even a plumber, IMO leak detection companies are not classified in the plumber trades.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts

I am usually pretty accurate doing leak detections myself. I have used leak detection companies and to be honest, they have a much worse record than I do. They don't refund money. They will come back out but not for free. In my experience, it's a lousy racket. I'd say I've had some negative experiences with them. :whistling2:

Paul

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Dunno, couldn't tell ya. I find my own leaks. Fisher XLT and ridgid navitrack

·
Registered
13 Posts
Plumbing Professionals, right?

This is for plumbing professionals, right? I certainly think as does my insurance company, that water and plumbing leak detection is a plumbing profession. How are you, Ron? IMO or IMAO?

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
This is for plumbing professionals, right? I certainly think as does my insurance company, that water and plumbing leak detection is a plumbing profession. How are you, Ron? IMO or IMAO?
Post your link in your signature. Like I said I don't see it that way.

Just IMO

·
Registered
13 Posts
Plumbing Leak Detection Equipment

Thanks for both heads' ups. We are a plumbing services company according to just about everybody. Further, I hope to add to the conversation when I have something to say, and shut my mouth regarding things beyond my expertise. I work hard to tell the difference. A couple of questions regarding fire suppression layouts are interesting, but way beyond my knowledge base. Any info on finding a water leak? I can help with that. Water mains, water audits, concrete leak detection, fire suppression leak detection, slabs, water conservation, water meter service maintenace and repair. All of these should qualify me to take part in several conversations around here. Should you re-pipe, epoxy coat or spot repair? How about insurance coverage? Depends on your company. I think I add something, and that ought to be what we are about here. Thanks,

·
I Married Up
16,841 Posts
John J. is it? God help the world, there's two of us. :laughing:

I have had good success with a local detection service. He is spot on accurate, fair with his price and does not offer any repair services at all. He is not a plumber but is integral to the plumbing business. I have test driven a couple of different systems and although the technology is awesome, there is a steep learning curve.

I would love to have my guys well versed in leak detection but I am not willing to put my reputation on the line while attending the school of hard knocks in a customer's home. Now if there were an effective training program offered by manufacturers, I would swiftly reevaluate my stance.

Mr. John J., your sight has leak detection and hot water repair listed. Do you make repairs? What is your background? How did you get into leak detection?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Actually, John Johnson, my name is last name is Jensen, and I have family in OKC. First, let me say that we have never, and will never steal a job. We work with many plumbers and I am sure that they would find someone else if we stole jobs. That is bad for business, and all you really have is your reputation. The frequency with which that seems to happen is shocking to me. I simply had no idea... That said, for residential work, several insurance companies call us to GC slab leak repair jobs. We have a network of plumbers, many of whom call us for leak detection, who are more than willing to come in and save the day get paid and get gone. My background is as a construction manager and service manager. I love to get my hands dirty, and leave people with enough information that they can make good choices and know all of their options. I work hard to help people understand their options when they have a serious leak issue. I am irritated when I hear that someone thinks that "re-routes are the best way to go" for any situation. In the Midwest, re-routes can be great in 2 story homes , in the warmer climates, they may be good all the time. On the other hand, if homeowner's insurance pays for the spot leak repair, why would you choose to go another route? Only a couple of the largest companies won't cover most of the slab leak spot repair cost. There is a place for epoxy, re-routes, running new lines and spot repair. It is important in this business to know about shark bites, which I don't mind if you're cautious, and the use of silver solder vs all the other kinds, different kinds of crimps with PEX and use of PEX and copper sub-slab. I find that many people get stuck in a rut and think that one solution fits all, but I disagree almost all of the time. I try and help people make informed decisions and get their homes back together quickly and without the anxiety that so many people try to use during their hard up-sell for more work than a homeowner needs. We do other things for commercial, municipal, industrial and community applications. Knowledge is power, pass it on.

·
I Married Up
16,841 Posts
In some ways we agree. But in others you're approaching a line you shouldn't cross.

I am a big supporter of a person with training and expertise in a special skill. Your skill is finding the leak. As plumbers, our skill is to determine what to do with it. I mean this next with all due respect to your unique skills that I do not necessarily posses...Neither you, the insurance company, nor the home owner are qualified to weigh in on what to do with a leak once you find it. That is a decision for plumbers.

I do look forward to discussions with you regarding finding leaks. I find it to be both interesting and critical to our trade.

I'll save space and allow someone else to chime in on your repair solution opinions.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I simply want homeowners to have a complete information set and to know what questions to ask. I don't have a vested interest in any of the repair solutions, but people need to know that there is rarely only one repair option. There are many repair solutions, they need to hear from their plumber why one is best and the others are not.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
I'm in New Mexico. Most homes round here are slab with poly, copper, pex, galvanized. While I'm not expert at all on finding under slab leaks, I find it necceary to find leaking line, verify the leak is under slab, then locate opposite end of loop. Pull and replace. ( Or or whatever I have to do if it does not pull). I have busted down if I knew for a fact where the leak is. I dont push repipes unless I have seen or performed 3 or 4 other leak repairs there. I have found most customers won't allow repipes until thiere home has been flooded 2 or 3 times. Some hold out longer still. It's thiere decision. I'm cool either way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That is all anyone can hope for. Work with a plumber who presents all of the options but has an opinion. Tell them what they CAN do and then recommend what they should do. The choice is still theirs. And often, they respect you enough to do what you recommend, and when it works out, you've a customer for life by being upfront and not pushing the big $$$ repair if they don't need it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No this was not spam I started this, I own a company in DFW

Thanks for all the feedback guys this is a important part of owning a business is having someone that does leak detection when I first started this post I was using geo phones and air most of the time and located for all my guys myself unless I was unsure then I called a leak company only after finding out they where taking my jobs so I invested some money in some new equip. And was lost when I got it but after Playing around with it it is not rocket science as I thought that is why I was asking for help goldak has some really good stuff not as high as fisher but very good I believe it is the easiest I think there is on the market to learn to use get a line locator the 3300 and the 777a that will take care of most of the leaks but I am still open for any education anyone has on this. Thanks guys

1 - 20 of 51 Posts