Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to size a urinal flushometer. The fixture is rated 0.125-1.0 gpf. The replacement can be ordered 0.125,
0.5, or 1.0 gpf. How do I determine which one? I would appreciate any advice. Regards,
Sorry I have not been around much, I became self employed in January.
Joe

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
I am trying to size a urinal flushometer. The fixture is rated 0.125-1.0 gpf. The replacement can be ordered 0.125,
0.5, or 1.0 gpf. How do I determine which one? I would appreciate any advice. Regards,
Sorry I have not been around much, I became self employed in January.
Joe
Depends on how often you think your clientele will flush. Most men don't bother flushing urinals so I would go with the 1gpf.

I hope you're going with a sloan royal, they are the standard.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
actually pulling out a royal and putting in a crown , occasional low pressure at a plant , urinal won't reset . thought a piston type would work better.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
actually pulling out a royal and putting in a crown , occasional low pressure at a plant , urinal won't reset . thought a piston type would work better.
Low pressure or low flow? If the pressure is dropping because the piping can't handle the demand than install a spring check and an expansion tank near the bathroom group so all the sloan valves can operate properly.

If the actual pressure is dropping at the pump than you have bigger problems to contend with.

I think the sloan navy models will handle lower pressures better. I would call sloan.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
City water, When the plant is doing a certain process, pressure drops significantly, They are not allowed to tell me how long the process is, or how much water is used, trade secrets, 5 toilets are flush mates on this side of plant ,no problems just one urinal, Naval and crown are both piston type flushometers . Sloans website says piston types work better in this situation. Thought about an expansion tank but they can't give details about the process.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
City water, When the plant is doing a certain process, pressure drops significantly, They are not allowed to tell me how long the process is, or how much water is used, trade secrets, .......
I foresee this being an ongoing issue. Is the curent line big enough? Where the line enters the plant, how low does the pressure drop? I suggest you talk to them about running a bigger dedicated line if that's at all possible. Maybe see if you can limit the pressure drop to the bathroom by slightly closing a valve to the high use portion.

I still think an expansion tank is cheap insurance against this being a problem child.

Reactions: jakewilcox

·
Super Moderator
12,475 Posts
I foresee this being an ongoing issue. Is the curent line big enough? Where the line enters the plant, how low does the pressure drop? I suggest you talk to them about running a bigger dedicated line if that's at all possible. Maybe see if you can limit the pressure drop to the bathroom by slightly closing a valve to the high use portion.

I still think an expansion tank is cheap insurance against this being a problem child.

Expansion tank as in a thermal expansion tank {TXT}?

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Expansion tank as in a thermal expansion tank {TXT}?
Like a well tank, something with a large enough volume that it will hold the required amount of flushes you expect to see during any given pressure drop.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I would go ahead and put in a pressure tank somewhere local to the urinal (s) that are causing you trouble. Some flushometers are rated at low pressure, but at in my experience they are super temperamental with varying pressures. This should hold pressure constant enough that they would work.

I expect that you know this, make sure you size it correctly. Remember that a pressure tank is only 1/2 full of water.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts