Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I run mine in 3/4" but everyone else around here does 1/2". What about you?

(Wall faucet = Sill cock, hose bibb, frost free wall hydrant, whatever you call it in your neck of the woods.)

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
I do 1/2, why? in the Ill Code for water distribution sizing a hose faucet is not counted for units. But the main reason is I can not tell if there is a restriction in flow. So I just do 1/2.

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do 1/2, why? in the Ill Code for water distribution sizing a hose faucet is not counted for units. But the main reason is I can not tell if there is a restriction in flow. So I just do 1/2.

In Christ,

Song Dog
Hey, I am going to do some testing.

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
That will be cool, let us know. I have wanted to do testing myself but never managed to do any.

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
Registered
378 Posts
I use the 1/2" as well,of course most freeze-proof hydrants have a 3/4" id, the ones I use anyways,and can be plumbed in either 1/2" or 3/4".
The popular thing here is lawn hydrants [for those who want lots of water] which require a 3/4' supply and comes with a 1" riser.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
i usually run 3/4 all the way, then turn a 3/4 x 1/2 90 out the wall. makes it easier when i bag up fittings to go under a house.

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
Bill, You name changer:)I'd know that avatar anywhere:thumbsup:

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
We run 1/2" to all hose bibs. The seat in the hose bib it's self is smaller then 1/2"

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't get why you guys think that restriction matters so much. It isn't the restriction that kills you, it's the friction loss and the restriction over a length of pipe.

Take a Delta roman tub faucet. Feed it with 50' of 1/2" pipe and then with 50' of 3/4" pipe. It will dump more water with the 3/4" pipe even though it still has the same 3/16" hole in the cartridge.

·
Ridgid tool user
4,909 Posts
Because the restriction will reduce volume. 3/4" are usually my main water and 1/2" for the branch in residential. Very rarely would the 1/2 be longer then 20 ft.

Very interesting point you bring up though, 22. I've never tried this. Maybe you're on to something, we'll see.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts