Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So fall and winter is rolling around, means the bug :devil: will once again enter the scene, the cold, flu, you name it, how do you go about protecting your clients or yourself from transmitting or contracting these dreadful bugs? We all don't like to get sick, and can slow us down and sometimes stop us in our tracks. I try to make it a point to wash my hands often, but in the busy life we have this is a hard habit to get into.

They ask us a work if your sick stay home, it's not fair to the customers if you pass off your bug to them, I agree very much, how do you handle it this year?

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If your sick do you make yourself work, at what point do you say I better stay home, where is the fine line? Have you ever gone to work knowing you have the flu?

·
Registered
36 Posts
If your sick do you make yourself work, at what point do you say I better stay home, where is the fine line? Have you ever gone to work knowing you have the flu?
In today's world it is hard to stay home if your sick. Most plumber's don't get sick time. If you do get sick you lose alot of money by staying home. I fell into a great gig where I do get sicktime and can roll it over each year,so for that if I was sick I would stay home.

·
Registered
584 Posts
If I have a headache or something I'll go into work. If I have the flu I have sick days so yeah, I'd stay home.

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
I used to get sick all the time. I rarely do anymore. I haven't got the flu in years. One reason is that I eat really healthy and take tons of vitamins, drink lots of water, exercise, etc. IT REALLY DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE! My immune system is like a missile defense shield now.:laughing: When I was younger and didn't have such a healthy lifestyle I would be sick almost all winter.

The other reason may be my job itself. Being around damp crawlspaces, drain pipes and human waste, my immune system is forced to adapt and strengthen. I'll have a newborn this year though, so I have to be extra careful. Just because I am immune to all the various nastiness, doesn't mean she will be. I try to wash my hands several times a day. I will shower and scrub my hands down when I get home from work before I even go near the baby.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Does everyone have health insurance. Currenly I do not and I am fixing to look into adding insurance to my business as a benefit. I am hoping I can right it off but I am not sure of the rules. I tried to get a good insurance policy for my family of 4 and it was 1400 a month and that was 2 years ago. I can't pay that much.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
If I have a small cold I will go in, but if its bad I stay home. Only if its bad. Like service guy I take the vitamins to keep my immune system boosted. Drink a ton of orange juice as well......

·
Registered
584 Posts
I have insurance through the company I work for, they pay half of it and it still costs me $60 a week for just myself. That works out to about $500 a month total for my health insurance.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Thats one of the perks of being union. As long as I am working I am covered and building my retirement. The wife has an awesome insurance plan at the hospital she works at so if a lay-off comes I am in the clear as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I get flu shots every year, and I screened for Hep-A 2 years ago. I wear gloves and goggles around black water and petty much isolate plumbing and especially black water clothing (myself) from other laundry.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts