Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We purchased a 1966 built condo recently and got a Culligan softener and RO system installed due to the extremely hard water in Morristown NJ. The Culligan system is all PEX pipes and our existing pipes are copper.

This is a co-op condo where the HOA supplies hot water through their boiler in the common basement of the building. I have no access to the hot water line expansion tanks and so on. We have a cold line coming into the house and a hot one. The softener is on the cold line.

(Yes I agree that half the problem is not solved as there is still salt in the hot water but we were desperate for better drinking water and less deposits on all the new appliances in the house. The deposits situation has vastly improved and the drinking line through the RO system is way better tasting)

After the installation we started experiencing this hammer issue : a toilet flush or running dishwasher or running washing machine caused loud vibrations in the shower line while the shower was running. One day this corrected itself.

By the time a culligan technician visited to check on the softner system, he diagnosed that the PRV is broken. They installed a like to like replacement WATTS LF25 AUBZ3 PRV saying that the pressure is too high at 90-100 in our pipes and the softener unit can take upto 80. The new PRV is set to 75 as of now.

The new form of this problem we now have is also in the shower - but a vibration in the pipes at a certain mix of hot and cold water. The toilet flush while the shower is running doesn't lead to vibrations anymore! The culligan team claims that our shower mixer valve is faulty.

Really at my wits end here and tired of dealing with this. What do you expert plumbers of reddit think this is? The PRV replacement is charged at $320 which is exorbitant and they slap on another$ 100 for service fees. Hoping to get answers here so I'm more knowledgeable when speaking with them or another qualified plumber about this issue..

·
Super Moderator
9,349 Posts

·
Registered
Plumber
159 Posts
Welcome my friend! It seems that part of your diagnosis is right on. Hot salt water and cold non salt water will always get a vibration upon mixing, it's one of those little known facts.

$420! For a pressure regulator! They really got over on you. Colligan is known to reuse equipment and then blame its problems on other things. We all know that part is only 80$ and they get a discount on it. Especially when it doesn't even cover the pressure on the hot side of your home.

You should let us see the pictures of it..how much did you pay total?

You probably need a pressure balancer installed with a recirculating pump to allow the salted and non salted water to combine back at the boiler to stop the hammer. Luckily it's pretty easy to do. A simple cross connection and a recirc pump..may want to put in a thermal expansion tank just for good measure.

Glad to offer my long earned and hard worked for knowledge to you for free.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, unfortunately no Updog here lol..Yes to permits.

The hot and cold lines DO NOT feed back into any other equipment.
Main line -> building boiler -> into the unit.
Main line -> into the unit -> diverted to softener -> soft water into the unit
Drinking water : Softener -> RO filters -> to the fridge line

Funny thing about this is that there is no hammer at any other faucet or appliance. Total for all the equipment and installs was $3400.

Will post pics tonight.

·
Super Moderator
9,349 Posts
No, unfortunately no Updog here lol..Yes to permits.

The hot and cold lines DO NOT feed back into any other equipment.
Main line -> building boiler -> into the unit.
Main line -> into the unit -> diverted to softener -> soft water into the unit
Drinking water : Softener -> RO filters -> to the fridge line

Funny thing about this is that there is no hammer at any other faucet or appliance. Total for all the equipment and installs was $3400.

Will post pics tonight.

You have 4 hours to prove why you think you belong here.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
I'm sure his wife doesn't have an issue with this. Those hand sprayers are amazing ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts